The Potential of Natural Propolis Extract Combined with Bovine Bone Graft in Increasing Heat Shock Protein 70 and Osteocalcin on Socket PreservationFunding The authors gratefully acknowledge the financial support provided by the Rector for Research Funding of Airlangga University, managed by the Community Research and Service Institute, Airlangga University, as an Excellent Research Institution of Higher Education No. 893/UN3/ 2018.
Objective This study aims to combine natural propolis with bovine bone graft (BBG) as a means of extraction socket preservation after 3 and 7 days toward expression of heat shock protein (HSP) 70 and osteocalcin to regenerate bone.
Materials and Methods The Cavia cobaya were divided into eight groups, each consisting of seven samples. Their lower left incisors were extracted and induced with PEG, propolis extract, BBG, and a combination of propolis extract BBG. The research subjects were terminated on days 3 and 7 postextraction. Immunohistochemical and histopathological examinations were subsequently performed to observe HSP 70 expression, osteocalcin expression, osteoblasts, and osteoclasts.
Statistical Analysis Data obtained were then analyzed with one-way analysis of variance (ANOVA) and Tukey’s honestly significant difference (HSD) tests.
Results Both the groups with the combination of propolis extract and BBG on days 3 and 7 were found to present the highest number of HSP70 expression, osteocalcin expression, and osteoblast cells as well as the lowest number of osteoclasts.
Conclusion Both the groups with the combination of propolis extract and BBG on days 3 and 7 were found to present the highest number of HSP70 expression, osteocalcin expression, and osteoblast cells as well as the lowest number of osteoclasts.
13 March 2020 (online)
Thieme Medical and Scientific Publishers Private Ltd
A-12, Second Floor, Sector -2, NOIDA -201301, India
- 1 Darby I, Chen S, De Poi R. Ridge preservation: what is it and when should it be considered. Aust Dent J 2008; 53 (01) 11-21
- 2 Das S, Jhingran R, Bains VK, Madan R, Srivastava R, Rizvi I. Socket preservation by beta-tri-calcium phosphate with collagen compared to platelet-rich fibrin: a clinico-radiographic study. Eur J Dent 2016; 10 (02) 264-276
- 3 Yoshida T, Sakamoto A, Tsukamoto N, Nakayama K, Iwamoto Y. Establishment of an animal model of a pasteurized bone graft, with a preliminary analysis of muscle coverage or FGF-2 administration to the graft. J Orthop Surg Res 2009; 4 (31) 31
- 4 Gowda NKC, Kandasamy G, Froehlich MS, Dohmen RJ, Andréasson C. Hsp70 nucleotide exchange factor Fes1 is essential for ubiquitin-dependent degradation of misfolded cytosolic proteins. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 2013; 110 (15) 5975-5980
- 5 Ferat-Osorio E, Sánchez-Anaya A, Gutiérrez-Mendoza M. et al. Heat shock protein 70 down-regulates the production of toll-like receptor-induced pro-inflammatory cytokines by a heat shock factor-1/constitutive heat shock element-binding factor-dependent mechanism. J Inflamm (Lond) 2014; 11 (19) 19
- 6 Nugraha AP, Narmada IB, Ernawati DS. et al. Bone alkaline phosphatase and osteocalcin expression of rat’s Gingival mesenchymal stem cells cultured in platelet-rich fibrin for bone remodeling (in vitro study).. Eur J Dent 2018; 12 (04) 566-573
- 7 Hendrijantini N, Hartono P, Ari MDA, Rantan FA. Human umbilical cord mesenchymal stem-cell therapy to increase the density of osteoporotic mandibular bone. Eur J Dent 2019; 13 (01) 58-63
- 8 Akbari S, Rasouli-Ghahroudi AA. Vitamin K and bone metabolism: a review of the latest evidence in preclinical studies. Bio Med Res. Inter 2018; 1: 1
- 9 Blair HC, Larrouture QC, Li Y. et al. Osteoblast differentiation and bone matrix formation in vivo and in vitro. Tissue Eng Part B Rev 2017; 23 (03) 268-280
- 10 Rathore B, Singh M, Kumar V, Misra A. Osteocalcin: an emerging biomarker for bone turnover. Int J Res Med Sci 2016; 4: 3670-3674
- 11 Lieberman JR, Friedlaender GE. Bone Regeneration and Repair. 1st ed. Totowa, NJ: Humana Press 2005
- 12 Boix D, Weiss P, Gauthier O. et al. Injectable bone substitute to preserve alveolar ridge resorption after tooth extraction: a study in dog. J Mater Sci Mater Med 2006; 17 (11) 1145-1152
- 13 Steigmann M. A bovine-bone mineral block for the treatment of severe ridge deficiencies in the anterior region: a clinical case report. Int J Oral Maxillofac Implants 2008; 23 (01) 123-128
- 14 Barone A, Aldini NN, Fini M. Giardino R, Calvo Guirado JL, Covani U. Xenograft versus extraction alone for ridge preservation after tooth removal: a clinical and histomorphometric study. J Periodontol 2008; 79 (08) 1370-1377
- 15 Mardas N, Chadha V, Donos N. Alveolar ridge preservation with guided bone regeneration and a synthetic bone substitute or a bovine-derived xenograft: a randomized, controlled clinical trial. Clin Oral Implants Res 2010; 21 (07) 688-698
- 16 Pelegrine AA, da Costa CE, Correa ME, Marques Jr JFC. Clinical and histomorphometric evaluation of extraction sockets treated with an autologous bone marrow graft. Clin Oral Implants Res 2010; 21 (05) 535-542
- 17 Karticioglu H, Mercan N. Antimicrobial activity and chemical composition of Turkish propolis from different region. Afr J Biotechnol 2006; 5 (11) 1151-1153
- 18 Widjiastuti I, Suardita K, Saraswati W. The expressions of NF-kb and TGFb-1 on odontoblast-like cells of human dental pulp injected with propolis extracts. Dent. J. Majalah. Kedokteran. Gigi 2014; 47 (01) 13-18
- 19 Ercan N, Erdemir EO, Ozkan SY, Hendek MK. The comparative effect of propolis in two different vehicles; mouthwash and chewing-gum on plaque accumulation and gingival inflammation. Eur J Dent 2015; 9 (02) 272-276
- 20 Yuanita T, Zubaidah N, Kunarti S. Expression of osteoprotegrin and osteocalcin level in chronic apical periodontitis induced with east java propolis extract. Iran Endod J 2018; 13 (01) 42-46
- 21 Perkasa MIA, Yogyarti S, Harijanto E. Propolis extract gel application to the socket of Cavia Cobaya afetr tooth extraction to the quantity of osteoclast. Mater. Dent. J. 2017; 8 (01) 23-28
- 22 Shapiro H, Singer P, Halpern Z, Bruck R. Polyphenols in the treatment of inflammatory bowel disease and acute pancreatitis. Gut 2007; 56 (03) 426-435
- 23 Clark MS, Peck LS. Triggers of the HSP70 stress response: environmental responses and laboratory manipulation in an Antarctic marine invertebrate (Nacella concinna).. Cell Stress Chaperones 2009; 14 (06) 649-660
- 24 Soeprijanto B, Assegaf JH. Mechanism of increasing of HSP-70 on Irradiated rat breast cancer due to application of extract of phyllanthus nir. Indonesian. Vet J 2014; 15 (03) 330-336
- 25 Kovalchin JT, Wang R, Wagh MS, Azoulay J, Sanders M, Chandawarkar RY. In vivo delivery of heat shock protein 70 accelerates wound healing by up-regulating macrophage-mediated phagocytosis. Wound Repair Regen 2006; 14 (02) 129-137
- 26 Somsanith N, Kim YK, Jang YS. et al. Enhancing of osseointegration with propolis-loaded TiO2 nanotubes in rat mandible for dental implants. Mater. 2018; 11: 2-15
- 27 Khurshid Z, Naseem M, Zafar MS, Najeeb S, Zohaib S. Propolis: a natural biomaterial for dental and oral healthcare. J Dent Res Dent Clin Dent Prospect 2017; 11 (04) 265-274
- 28 Wieckiewicz W, Miernik M, Wieckiewicz M, Morawiec T. Does propolis help to maintain oral health? Evidence-based. complement. alternative. Med. 2013; 1: 1-8