Knowledge and Opinions of Saudi Dentists Regarding Dental Treatment of Patients Undergoing Bisphosphonates
Objectives Bisphosphonates (BPs) are used for treatment of various benign and malignant medical conditions. Medications-related osteonecrosis of the jaws (MRONJ) is a very serious complication of prolonged therapy with BPs. This study aimed to assess the level of knowledge among dental professionals in Saudi Arabia regarding MRONJ.
Materials and Methods This was a questionnaire-based, cross-sectional study. A self-administered questionnaire comprising close-ended questions about BPs and MRONJ was sent to a convenience sample of dentists in Saudi Arabia.
Statistical Analysis SPSS software was used for data analysis. Chi-square test was used to compare between the groups. The significance level was set at p < 0.05.
Results A total of 607 dentists participated in this survey. Overall, the respondents showed insufficient level of knowledge regarding BPORNJ, with only 70% of the respondents had heard about BPORNJ, and less than 50% recognized the risk factors and clinical features of the disease. Additionally, while two-thirds of the respondents recognized the importance of taking BPs history, the majority did not know the correct treatment approach. Respondents with higher degrees (specialists) showed far better knowledge than general dentists.
Conclusion The knowledge regarding BPs therapy and its complications among Saudi dentists is unsatisfactory. Hence, interventions are highly required to improve dentists’ knowledge regarding BPs and MRONJ.
07. Februar 2020 (online)
Thieme Medical and Scientific Publishers Private Ltd.
A-12, Second Floor, Sector -2, NOIDA -201301, India
- 1 Reyes C, Hitz M, Prieto-Alhambra D, Abrahamsen B. Risks and benefits of bisphosphonate therapies. J Cell Biochem 2016; 117 (01) 20-28
- 2 Vinitzky-Brener I, Ibáñez-Mancera N-G, Aguilar-Rojas A-M, Álvarez-Jardón A-P. Knowledge of bisphosphonate-related osteonecrosis of the Jawsamong Mexican dentists. Med Oral Patol Oral Cir Bucal 2017; 22 (01) e84-e87
- 3 Ruggiero SL, Dodson TB, Fantasia J. et al. American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons. American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons position paper on medication-related osteonecrosis of the jaw—2014 update. J Oral Maxillofac Surg 2014; 72 (10) 1938-1956
- 4 Ruggiero SL, Dodson TB, Assael LA, Landesberg R, Marx RE, Mehrotra B. American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons. American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons position paper on bisphosphonate-related osteonecrosis of the jaws—2009 update. J Oral Maxillofac Surg 2009; 67 (Suppl. 05) 2-12
- 5 Marx RE. Pamidronate (Aredia) and zoledronate (Zometa) induced avascular necrosis of the jaws: a growing epidemic. J Oral Maxillofac Surg 2003; 61 (09) 1115-1117
- 6 Levin L, Laviv A, Schwartz-Arad D. Denture-related osteonecrosis of the maxilla associated with oral bisphosphonate treatment. J Am Dent Assoc 2007; 138 (09) 1218-1220
- 7 Lee JJ, Cheng SJ, Jeng JH, Chiang CP, Lau HP, Kok SH. Successful treatment of advanced bisphosphonate-related osteonecrosis of the mandible with adjunctive teriparatide therapy. Head Neck 2011; 33 (09) 1366-1371
- 8 Bedogni A, Bettini G, Totola A, Saia G, Nocini PF. Oral bisphosphonate-associated osteonecrosis of the jaw after implant surgery: a case report and literature review. J Oral Maxillofac Surg 2010; 68 (07) 1662-1666
- 9 Gil IG, Ponte BM, Mateo ST, García JJ. Treatment of bisphosphonate-related osteonecrosis of the jaw with plasma rich in growth factors after dental implant surgery: a case report. J Oral Implantol 2019; 45 (04) 289-296
- 10 Suzuki N, Oguchi H, Yamauchi Y, Karube Y, Suzuki Y, Hosoya N. A case of tooth fracture occurred upon medicating bisphosphonate for an elderly person: preservation therapy and responses for Stage 0 of bisphosphonate-related osteonecrosis of jaw. Eur J Dent 2017; 11 (02) 258-263
- 11 Thumbigere-Math V, Sabino MC, Gopalakrishnan R. et al. Bisphosphonate-related osteonecrosis of the jaw: clinical features, risk factors, management, and treatment outcomes of 26 patients. J Oral Maxillofac Surg 2009; 67 (09) 1904-1913
- 12 Awad ME, Sun C, Jernigan J, Elsalanty M. Serum C-terminal cross-linking telopeptide level as a predictive biomarker of osteonecrosis after dentoalveolar surgery in patients receiving bisphosphonate therapy: systematic review and meta-analysis. J Am Dent Assoc 2019; 150 (08) 664-675.e8
- 13 Alhussain A, Peel S, Dempster L, Clokie C, Azarpazhooh A. Knowledge, practices, and opinions of Ontario dentists when treating patients receiving bisphosphonates. J Oral Maxillofac Surg 2015; 73 (06) 1095-1105
- 14 de Lima PB, Brasil VLM, de Castro JFL. et al. Knowledge and attitudes of Brazilian dental students and dentists regarding bisphosphonate-related osteonecrosis of the jaw. Support Care Cancer 2015; 23 (12) 3421-3426
- 15 López-Jornet P, Camacho-Alonso F, Molina-Miñano F, Gomez-Garcia F. Bisphosphonate-associated osteonecrosis of the jaw. Knowledge and attitudes of dentists and dental students: a preliminary study. J Eval Clin Pract 2010; 16 (05) 878-882
- 16 Yoo JY, Park YD, Kwon YD, Kim DY, Ohe JY. Survey of Korean dentists on the awareness on bisphosphonate-related osteonecrosis of the jaws. J Investig Clin Dent 2010; 1 (02) 90-95
- 17 Rosella D, Papi P, Pompa G, Capogreco M, De Angelis F, Di Carlo S. Dental students’ knowledge of medication-related osteonecrosis of the jaw. Eur J Dent 2017; 11 (04) 461-468