Comparison of Shaping Ability of Different Single-File Systems Using Microcomputed Tomography
Objectives To evaluate the shaping ability of four different single-file systems using micro-computed tomography (micro-CT).
Materials and Methods Eighty mesiobuccal and mesiolingual canals of permanent mandibular molars were randomly assigned to four groups according to the file used; WaveOne Gold, RECIPROC Blue, HyFlex EDM, and One Shape (n = 20). The samples were scanned using micro-CT for the preinstrumentation record; then the canals were instrumented and scanned for the postinstrumentation records.
Statistical Analysis The data were then analyzed statistically using one-way analysis of variance (ANOVA) with the level of significance set at α = 0.05.
Results The results of canal centering ratio and canal transportation showed that no significant difference was found among the four file groups at the middle and the coronal levels. However, a significant difference was found at the apical level (p < 0.05), where WaveOne Gold showed the best centering ratio and the least amount of canal transportation. The change in the canal volume was significant at the coronal level (p < 0.05), whereas the change in the canal volume was higher for the HyFlex EDM group than the other groups. No significant difference was found between the other groups at the apical level, middle level, or in the total percentage of canal volume.
Conclusion WaveOne Gold produced a more centralized canal preparation with a lesser amount of transportation at the apical level. HyFlex EDM showed the highest canal volumetric change at the coronal level. The interim design of the endodontic files has a high impact on the behavior of the file inside the root canal.
Keywordscanal centering - canal volumetric change - microcomputed tomography - single file - transportation
31 January 2020 (online)
Thieme Medical and Scientific Publishers Private Ltd.
A-12, Second Floor, Sector -2, NOIDA -201301, India
- 1 Schilder H. Cleaning and shaping the root canal. Dent Clin North Am 1974; 18 (02) 269-296
- 2 Hülsmann M, Peters OA, Dummer PM. Mechanical preparation of root canals: shaping goals, techniques and means. Endod Topics 2005; 10: 30-76
- 3 Mamede-Neto I, Borges AH, Guedes OA, de Oliveira D, Pedro FLM, Estrela C. Root canal transportation and centering ability of nickel-titanium rotary instruments in mandibular premolars assessed using cone-beam computed tomography. Open Dent J 2017; 11: 71-78
- 4 Agarwal RS, Agarwal J, Jain P, Chandra A. Comparative analysis of canal centering ability of different single file systems using cone beam computed tomography—an in-vitro study. J Clin Diagn Res 2015; 9 (05) ZC06-ZC10
- 5 Gundappa M, Bansal R, Khoriya S, Mohan R. Root canal centering ability of rotary cutting nickel titanium instruments: a meta-analysis. J Conserv Dent 2014; 17 (06) 504-509
- 6 Del Fabbro M, Afrashtehfar KI, Corbella S, El-Kabbaney A, Perondi I, Taschieri S. In vivo and in vitro effectiveness of rotary nickel-titanium vs manual stainless steel instruments for root canal therapy: systematic review and meta-analysis. J Evid Based Dent Pract 2018; 18 (01) 59-69
- 7 Yared G. Canal preparation using only one Ni-Ti rotary instrument: preliminary observations. Int Endod J 2008; 41 (04) 339-344
- 8 Hamid HR, Gluskin AH, Peters OA, Peters CI. Rotary versus reciprocation root canal preparation: initial clinical quality assessment in a novice clinician cohort. J Endod 2018; 44 (08) 1257-1262
- 9 Sousa-Neto MD, Silva-Sousa YC, Mazzi-Chaves JF. et al. Root canal preparation using micro-computed tomography analysis: a literature review. Braz Oral Res 2018; 32 (Suppl. 01) e66
- 10 Pedrinha VF, Brandão JMDS, Pessoa OF, Rodrigues PA. Influence of file motion on shaping, apical debris extrusion and dentinal defects: a critical review. Open Dent J 2018; 12: 189-201
- 11 Dowker SE, Davis GR, Elliott JC. X-ray microtomography: nondestructive three-dimensional imaging for in vitro endodontic studies. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod 1997; 83 (04) 510-516
- 12 Marciano MA, Duarte MAH, Ordinola-Zapata R, Del Carpio-Per ochena A, Cavenago B, Villas-Bôas MH. et al. Applications of micro-computed tomography in endodontic research. Current Microscopy Contributions to Advances in Science and Technology. A. Méndez-Vilas. Ed. 2012: 782-788
- 13 Faul F, Erdfelder E, Lang AG, Buchner A. G*Power 3: a flexible statistical power analysis program for the social, behavioral, and biomedical sciences. Behav Res Methods 2007; 39 (02) 175-191
- 14 Pruett JP, Clement DJ, Carnes DL Jr. Cyclic fatigue testing of nickel-titanium endodontic instruments. J Endod 1997; 23 (02) 77-85
- 15 Dioguardi M, Gioia GD, Illuzzi G, Laneve E, Cocco A, Troiano G. Endodontic irrigants: different methods to improve efficacy and related problems. Eur J Dent 2018; 12 (03) 459-466
- 16 Gambill JM, Alder M, del Rio CE. Comparison of nickel-titanium and stainless steel hand-file instrumentation using computed tomography. J Endod 1996; 22 (07) 369-375
- 17 Young GR, Parashos P, Messer HH. The principles of techniques for cleaning root canals. Aust Dent J 2007; 52 (Suppl. 01) S52-S63
- 18 Peters OA. Current challenges and concepts in the preparation of root canal systems: a review. J Endod 2004; 30 (08) 559-567
- 19 Schäfer E, Diez C, Hoppe W, Tepel J. Roentgenographic investigation of frequency and degree of canal curvatures in human permanent teeth. J Endod 2002; 28 (03) 211-216
- 20 Estrela C, Bueno MR, Sousa-Neto MD, Pécora JD. Method for determination of root curvature radius using cone-beam computed tomography images. Braz Dent J 2008; 19 (02) 114-118
- 21 Wu XC, Zhu YQ. Geometric analysis of root canals prepared by single twisted file in three different operation modes. Eur J Dent 2014; 8 (04) 515-520
- 22 Swain MV, Xue J. State of the art of Micro-CT applications in dental research. Int J Oral Sci 2009; 1 (04) 177-188
- 23 Grande NM, Plotino G, Gambarini G. et al. Present and future in the use of micro-CT scanner 3D analysis for the study of dental and root canal morphology. Ann Ist Super Sanita 2012; 48 (01) 26-34
- 24 Shivashankar MB, Niranjan NT, Jayasheel A, Kenchanagoudra MG. Computed tomography evaluation of canal transportation and volumetric changes in root canal dentin of curved canals using Mtwo, ProTaper and ProTaper Next Rotary System—an in-vitro study. J Clin Diagn Res 2016; 10 (11) ZC10-ZC14
- 25 Vallabhaneni S, Fatima K, Kumar TH. Cone-beam computed tomography assessment of root canal transportation using WaveOne Gold and Neoniti single-file systems. J Conserv Dent 2017; 20 (06) 434-438
- 26 Keskin C, Demiral M, Sarıyılmaz E. Comparison of the shaping ability of novel thermally treated reciprocating instruments. Restor Dent Endod 2018; 43 (02) e15
- 27 Alcalde MP, Duarte MAH, Bramante CM. et al. Cyclic fatigue and torsional strength of three different thermally treated reciprocating nickel-titanium instruments. Clin Oral Investig 2018; 22 (04) 1865-1871
- 28 Singh S, Mirdha N, Shilpa PH, Tiwari RVC, Abdul MSM, Sainudeen S. Shaping ability of 2Shape and WaveOne Gold Files using cone-beam computed tomography. J Int Soc Prev Community Dent 2019; 9 (03) 245-249
- 29 Yared G. Reciproc Blue: the new generation of reciprocation. G Ital Endod 2017; 31: 96-101
- 30 De-Deus G, Silva EJ, Vieira VT. et al. Blue thermomechanical treatment optimizes fatigue resistance and flexibility of the Reciproc files. J Endod 2017; 43 (03) 462-466
- 31 Özyürek T, Yılmaz K, Uslu G. Shaping ability of Reciproc, WaveOne GOLD, and HyFlex EDM single-file systems in simulated S-shaped canals. J Endod 2017; 43 (05) 805-809
- 32 van der Vyver PJ, Paleker F, Vorster M, de Wet FA. Root canal shaping using Nickel Titanium, M-Wire, and Gold Wire: a micro-computed tomographic comparative study of One Shape, ProTaper Next, and WaveOne Gold instruments in maxillary first molars. J Endod 2019; 45 (01) 62-67
- 33 Al-Dhbaan A, Al-Omari M, Mathew S, Baseer M. Shaping ability of ProTaper gold and WaveOne gold nickel-titanium rotary file in different canal configurations. Saudi Endod 2018; 8: 202-207
- 34 Matus D, Betancourt P. Mechanical root canal preparation using the WaveOne Gold® system—case series. Biomed Res 2018; 29: 2686
- 35 Iacono F, Pirani C, Generali L. et al. Structural analysis of HyFlex EDM instruments. Int Endod J 2017; 50 (03) 303-313
- 36 Gündoğar M, Özyürek T. Cyclic fatigue resistance of OneShape, HyFlex EDM, WaveOne Gold, and Reciproc Blue Nickel-Titanium instruments. J Endod 2017; 43 (07) 1192-1196
- 37 Mittal S, Gupta S, Sharma D, Sharma A, Mittal K. Effect of taper and metallurgy on cleaning efficacy of endodontic files in primary teeth: an in-vitro study. J Paediatr Dent 2015; 3: 75-81
- 38 Reddy PJ, Kumar VS, Aravind K. et al. Canal shaping with one shape file and twisted files: a comparative study. J Clin Diagn Res 2014; 8 (12) ZF01-ZF03
- 39 Guillén RE, Nabeshima CK, Caballero-Flores H. et al. Evaluation of the WaveOne Gold and One Shape New Generation in reducing Enterococcus faecalis from root canal. Braz Dent J 2018; 29 (03) 249-253