Whitening Dentifrices Effect on Enamel with Orthodontic Braces after Simulated Brushing
Objective This study aimed to evaluate in vitro the effects of whitening dentifrices on enamel color, the shear bond strength of orthodontic brackets and adhesive remnant index (ARI).
Materials and Methods Eighty bovine teeth with brackets were randomly divided into four groups (n = 20): control group (GC)–water, test group 1 (GT1)–Colgate Total 12, test group 2 (GT2)–Curaprox Black Is White, and group test 3 (GT3)–Luminous White. All groups were submitted to brushing, simulating 12 months. The specimens were exposed to spectrophotometer color evaluation and to a shear strength test in a universal test machine using a 300 kN load with a crosshead speed of 0.5 mm/min. The ARI was evaluated with a stereoscopic magnifying glass.
Statistical Analysis Nonparametric Kruskal–Wallis and Dunn’s tests were used for the color analysis, and Friedman and Nemenyi tests were used to compare the times in the variable. To compare the shear force between the groups, the data were evaluated by one-way analysis of variance and Tukey’s test, and ARI was analyzed using Fisher’s exact test, always with a significance level of 5%.
Results In the color analysis, GT3 presented the greatest progression in whitening effect. GT1 had greater shear strength than GT3 did (p ≤ 0.05). For ARI, the score 1 was predominant in the GC and GT1. The GT2 and GT3 groups had scores of 3.
Conclusion The whitening dentifrices promoted significant color change over the 12-month brushing time and may have interfered in the resistance to shear bond strength and ARI.
19 January 2020 (online)
Thieme Medical and Scientific Publishers Private Ltd.
A-12, Second Floor, Sector -2, NOIDA -201301, India
- 1 Vahid Dastjerdi E, Khaloo N, Mojahedi SM, Azarsina M. Shear bond strength of orthodontic brackets to tooth enamel after treatment with different tooth bleaching methods. Iran Red Crescent Med J 2015; 17 (11) e20618
- 2 Li Y. Stain removal and whitening by baking soda dentifrice: a review of literature. J Am Dent Assoc 2017; 148 (11S) S20-S26
- 3 Bizhang M, Chun YH, Damerau K, Singh P, Raab WH, Zimmer S. Comparative clinical study of the effectiveness of three different bleaching methods. Oper Dent 2009; 34 (06) 635-641
- 4 Vaz VTP, Jubilato DP, Oliveira MRM. et al. Whitening toothpaste containing activated charcoal, blue covarine, hydrogen peroxide or microbeads: which one is the most effective?. J Appl Oral Sci 2019; 27: e20180051
- 5 van Loveren C, Duckworth RM. Anti-calculus and whitening toothpastes. Monogr Oral Sci 2013; 23: 61-74
- 6 Alshara S, Lippert F, Eckert GJ, Hara AT. Effectiveness and mode of action of whitening dentifrices on enamel extrinsic stains. Clin Oral Investig 2014; 18 (02) 563-569
- 7 Watts A, Addy M. Tooth discolouration and staining: a review of the literature. Br Dent J 2001; 190 (06) 309-316
- 8 Walsh TF, Rawlinson A, Wildgoose D, Marlow I, Haywood J, Ward JM. Clinical evaluation of the stain removing ability of a whitening dentifrice and stain controlling system. J Dent 2005; 33 (05) 413-418
- 9 Iska D, Devanna R, Singh M, Chitumalla R, Balasubramanian SCB, Goutam M. In vitro assessment of influence of various bleaching protocols on the strength of ceramic orthodontic brackets bonded to bleached tooth surface: a comparative study. J Contemp Dent Pract 2017; 18 (12) 1181-1184
- 10 Caldeira EM, Fidalgo TK, Passalini P, Marquezan M, Maia LC, Nojima MdaC. Effect of fluoride on tooth erosion around orthodontic brackets. Braz Dent J 2012; 23 (05) 581-585
- 11 International Organization for Standardization ISO/TS 11405:2015. Dentistry – testing of adhesion to tooth structure. Available at: https://www.iso.org/standard/62898.html. Accessed December 27, 2019
- 12 Bergesch V, Baggio Aguiar FH, Turssi CP, Gomes França FM, Basting RT, Botelho Amaral FL. Shade changing effectiveness of plasdone and blue covarine-based whitening toothpaste on teeth stained with chlorhexidine and black tea. Eur J Dent 2017; 11 (04) 432-437
- 13 Yadav D, Golchha V, Paul R, Sharma P, Wadhwa J, Taneja S. Effect of tooth bleaching on orthodontic stainless steel bracket bond strength. J Orthod Sci 2015; 4 (03) 72-76
- 14 Pelourde C, Bationo R, Boileau MJ, Colat-Parros J, Jordana F. Monomer release from orthodontic retentions: an in vitro study. Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop 2018; 153 (02) 248-254
- 15 Wongsamut W, Satrawaha S, Wayakanon K. Surface modification for bonding between amalgam and orthodontic brackets. J Orthod Sci 2017; 6 (04) 129-135
- 16 Seeliger JH, Botzenhart UU, Gedrange T, Kozak K, Stepien L, Machoy M. Enamel shear bond strength of different primers combined with an orthodontic adhesive paste. Biomed Tech (Berl) 2017; 62 (04) 415-420
- 17 Northrup RG, Berzins DW, Bradley TG, Schuckit W. Shear bond strength comparison between two orthodontic adhesives and self-ligating and conventional brackets. Angle Orthod 2007; 77 (04) 701-706
- 18 Odilon NN, Lima MJP, Ribeiro PL. Araújo RPCde, Campos Ede J In vitro evaluation of the effect of bleaching dentifrices containg blue covarine on bovine dental enamel. Rev Odontol UNESP 2018; 47: 388-394
- 19 Tao D, Smith RN, Zhang Q. et al. Tooth whitening evaluation of blue covarine containing toothpastes. J Dent 2017; 67S: S20-S24
- 20 Kalantari MH, Ghoraishian SA, Mohaghegh M. Evaluation of accuracy of shade selection using two spectrophotometer systems: Vita Easyshade and Degudent Shadepilot. Eur J Dent 2017; 11 (02) 196-200
- 21 Artun J, Bergland S. Clinical trials with crystal growth conditioning as an alternative to acid-etch enamel pretreatment. Am J Orthod 1984; 85 (04) 333-340
- 22 Greenwall LH, Greenwall-Cohen J, Wilson NHF. Charcoal-containing dentifrices. Br Dent J 2019; 226 (09) 697-700
- 23 Pintado-Palomino K, Vasconcelos CV, Silva RJ. et al. Effect of whitening dentifrices: a double-blind randomized controlled trial. Braz Oral Res 2016; 30 (01) e82
- 24 Vieira GH, Nogueira MB, Gaio EJ, Rosing CK, Santiago SL, Rego RO. Effect of whitening toothpastes on dentin abrasion: an in vitro study. Oral Health Prev Dent 2016; 14 (06) 547-553
- 25 Brooks JK, Bashirelahi N, Reynolds MA. Charcoal and charcoal-based dentifrices: a literature review. J Am Dent Assoc 2017; 148 (09) 661-670
- 26 Siew C. American Dental Association. ADA guidelines for the acceptance of tooth-whitening products. Compend Contin Educ Dent Suppl 2000; 28 (28) S44-S47
- 27 Atash R, Fneiche A, Cetik S. et al. In vitro evaluation of microleakage under orthodontic brackets bonded with different adhesive systems. Eur J Dent 2017; 11 (02) 180-185
- 28 Ionta FQ, Dos Santos NM, Mesquita IM. et al. Is the dentifrice containing calcium silicate, sodium phosphate, and fluoride able to protect enamel against chemical mechanical wear? An in situ/ex vivo study. Clin Oral Investig 2019; 23 (10) 3713-3720
- 29 Perdigão J, Francci C, Swift Jr EJ, Ambrose WW, Lopes M. Ultra-morphological study of the interaction of dental adhesives with carbamide peroxide-bleached enamel. Am J Dent 1998; 11 (06) 291-301
- 30 Joiner A. Whitening toothpastes: a review of the literature. J Dent 2010; 38 (Suppl 2) e17-e24
- 31 Britto FA, Lucato AS, Valdrighi HC, Vedovello SAS. Influence of bleaching and desensitizing gel on bond strength of orthodontic brackets. Dental Press J Orthod 2015; 20 (02) 49-54
- 32 Ahmed T, Rahman NA, Alam MK. Assessment of in vivo bond strength studies of the orthodontic bracket-adhesive system: a systematic review. Eur J Dent 2018; 12 (04) 602-609