About an Intracranial Aneurysm Rupture During Delivery
The rupture of an intracranial aneurysm is rare during pregnancy and exceptional during delivery. When it occurs, the prognosis of two lives is engaged. We are reporting a case of a 41-year-old patient presenting with a subarachnoid hemorrhage during labor. After extraction of healthy baby through cesarian section, radiological investigations permitted to diagnose a ruptured right carotid-ophthalmic aneurysm. The patient benefited from a selective aneurysm’s exclusion by occlusion using Guglielmi detachable coils through an endovascular approach using catheterization. The immediate outcome was favorable.
07 February 2020 (online)
Thieme Medical and Scientific Publishers Private Ltd.
A-12, Second Floor, Sector -2, NOIDA -201301, India
- 1 Kizilkilic O, Albayram S, Adaletli I. et al. Endovascular treatment of ruptured intracranial aneurysms during pregnancy: report of three cases. Arch Gynecol Obstet 2003; 268 (04) 325-328
- 2 Kataoka H, Miyoshi T, Neki R, Yoshimatsu J, Ishibashi-Ueda H, Iihara K. Subarachnoid hemorrhage from intracranial aneurysms during pregnancy and the puerperium. Neurol Med Chir (Tokyo) 2013; 53 (08) 549-554
- 3 Barbarite E, Hussain S, Dellarole A, Elhammady MS, Peterson E. The management of intracranial aneurysms during pregnancy: a systematic review. Turk Neurosurg 2016; 26 (04) 465-474
- 4 Robba C, Bacigaluppi S, Bragazzi NL. et al. Aneurysmal subarachnoid hemorrhage in pregnancy-case series, review, and pooled data analysis. World Neurosurg 2016; 88: 383-398
- 5 Tarnaris A, Haliasos N, Watkins LD. Endovascular treatment of ruptured intracranial aneurysms during pregnancy: is this the best way forward? Case report and review of the literature. Clin Neurol Neurosurg 2012; 114 (06) 703-706
- 6 Böttiger BW, Diezel G. Acute intracranial subarachnoid hemorrhage following repeated spinal anesthesia [article in German]. Anaesthesist 1992; 41 (03) 152-157
- 7 Kriplani A, Relan S, Misra NK, Mehta VS, Takkar D. Ruptured intracranial aneurysm complicating pregnancy. Int J Gynaecol Obstet 1995; 48 (02) 201-206
- 8 Brunken M, Kehler U, Fiehler J, Leppien A, Eckert B. Coiling vs. clipping: hospital stay and procedure time in intracranial aneurysm treatment [article in German]. RoFo Fortschr Geb Rontgenstr Nuklearmed 2009; 181 (10) 989-995
- 9 Roman H, Descargues G, Lopes M. et al. Subarachnoid hemorrhage due to cerebral aneurysmal rupture during pregnancy. Acta Obstet Gynecol Scand 2004; 83 (04) 330-334
- 10 de Swiet M. Maternal mortality: confidential enquiries into maternal deaths in the United Kingdom. Am J Obstet Gynecol 2000; 182 (04) 760-766