Single Atrium and MiscarriagesFunding No funding was provided.
29 April 2019
31 July 2019
25 February 2020 (online)
Background A single atrium is a very rare heart condition, in which the inter atrial septum is missing. These congenital heart defects usually are surgically corrected after birth.
Case Presentation We present a successful surgical repair of a single atrium (SA) in a 27-year-old woman, who has a complete missing of the atrial septum, without coexisting valvular pathology. The SA diameter was 9.97 × 6.18 cm and the Systemic blood flow/pulmonary blood flow (Qp/Qs) was 4.1 due to the single atrium. Surgical correction consisted of creating a new atrial septum, using a double-velor patch. At first- and second-year follow up, the patient was in a very good condition and without any symptoms present. We consider that the diagnoses of single atrium, especially in child bearing women, should be done in appropriate time, to avoid miscarriages, preterm births and other complications associated.
Conclusion There are many case reports that show good surgical repair of single atrium and without late complications. In our case, we have obtained a very good surgical repair, without AV bundle damage and no residual shunt demonstrated on intraoperative transesophageal echocardiography.
Consent for Publication
Written informed consent for publication of his clinical details and clinical images was obtained from the patient.
- 1 Oliver-Williams C, Fleming M, Wood AM, Smith G. Previous miscarriage and the subsequent risk of preterm birth in Scotland, 1980–2008: a historical cohort study. BJOG 2015; 122 (11) 1525-1534
- 2 Jiang H, Wang H, Wang Z, Zhu H, Zhang R. Surgical correction of common atrium without noncardiac congenital anomalies. J Card Surg 2013; 28 (05) 580-586
- 3 Rastelli GC, Rahimtoola SH, Ongley PA, McGoon DC. Common atrium: anatomy, hemodynamics, and surgery. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 1968; 55 (06) 834-841
- 4 Levy MJ, Salomon J, Vidne BA. Correction of single and common atrium, with reference to simplified terminology. Chest 1974; 66 (04) 444-446
- 5 March of Dimes. March of Dimes. Available at: https://marchofdimes.org/complications/miscarriage.aspx . Accessed November 24, 2019
- 6 Hirai S, Hamanaka Y, Mitsui N, Isaka M, Mizukami T. Surgical repair of a common atrium in an adult. Ann Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 2003; 9 (02) 130-133
- 7 Asano K, Sakurai Y, Matsuzawa H. Surgical correction of common atrium with anomalously connected persistent left superior vena cava. Report of two cases. Jpn Heart J 1969; 10 (06) 545-551
- 8 Howson CP, Kinney MV, McDougall L, Lawn JE. ; Born Too Soon Preterm Birth Action Group. Born too soon: preterm birth matters. Reprod Health 2013; 10 (Suppl. 01) S1
- 9 World Health Organisation. Born too soon: the global action report on preterm birth. Available at: https://who.int/pmnch/media/news/2012/preterm_birth_report/en/ . Accessed December 1, 2013