Perioperative Management in Patients Using Vitamin K Antagonists: Observational Cohort Study
03 July 2019
21 November 2019
15 January 2020 (online)
Background The benefit of periprocedural bridging with low-molecular-weight heparin (LMWH) in patients with atrial fibrillation has been contested by the publication of the BRIDGE trial.
Objective This article determines whether publication of the BRIDGE trial has led to less bridging procedures and better patient outcomes (i.e., a composite of thromboembolism, major bleeding, and death) in patients undergoing invasive procedures at the Leiden Anticoagulation Clinic, the Netherlands.
Methods We identified all procedures that required vitamin K antagonist interruption. Procedures were divided in a period before (2014–2016; 22 months) and after the publication of the BRIDGE trial (2016–2017; 22 months). Cumulative incidences 30 days postprocedure and relative risks of thromboembolic events, major bleeding, and mortality were calculated.
Results A total of 4,892 and 4,237 eligible procedures were performed in 2014 to 2016 and 2016 to 2017, respectively. The cumulative incidence of thromboembolism was 0.5% in 2014 to 2016 compared with 0.3% in 2016 to 2017; adjusted odds ratio (OR) 0.60 (95% confidence interval [CI] 0.30–1.21). The cumulative incidence of major bleeding was 1.0% in the 2014 to 2016 period as compared with 1.3% in the 2016 to 2017 period; adjusted OR was 1.27 (95% CI 0.85–1.90). The adjusted OR of the composite endpoint was 1.05 (95% CI 0.74–1.48). The frequency of bridging with LMWH (14.8% in 2014–2016 vs. 16.6% in 2016–2017) as well as mean CHA2DS2-VASc scores of patients receiving bridging did not change after publication of the BRIDGE trial.
Conclusion We showed that despite publication of the BRIDGE trial, the frequency of bridging with LMWH and patient outcomes regarding bleeding complications did not change.
This study was performed by J.L.I. Burggraaf within the Master's degree program in Medicine of Leiden University. This study was not funded.
J.L.I. Burggraaf analyzed the data and wrote the manuscript. N. van Rein performed data analyses and revised the manuscript. W.M. Lijfering designed the analysis and revised the manuscript. F.J.M. van der Meer provided data from the Leiden Anticoagulation Clinic and revised the manuscript. All authors gave final approval of the version to be published.
- 1 Garcia D, Alexander JH, Wallentin L. , et al. Management and clinical outcomes in patients treated with apixaban vs warfarin undergoing procedures. Blood 2014; 124 (25) 3692-3698
- 2 Healey JS, Eikelboom J, Douketis J. , et al; RE-LY Investigators. Periprocedural bleeding and thromboembolic events with dabigatran compared with warfarin: results from the Randomized Evaluation of Long-Term Anticoagulation Therapy (RE-LY) randomized trial. Circulation 2012; 126 (03) 343-348
- 3 Spyropoulos AC, Al-Badri A, Sherwood MW, Douketis JD. Periprocedural management of patients receiving a vitamin K antagonist or a direct oral anticoagulant requiring an elective procedure or surgery. J Thromb Haemost 2016; 14 (05) 875-885
- 4 Douketis JD, Spyropoulos AC, Spencer FA. , et al. Perioperative management of antithrombotic therapy: Antithrombotic Therapy and Prevention of Thrombosis, 9th ed: American College of Chest Physicians Evidence-Based Clinical Practice Guidelines. Chest 2012; 141 (2, Suppl): e326S-e350S
- 5 Baron TH, Kamath PS, McBane RD. Antithrombotic therapy and invasive procedures. N Engl J Med 2013; 369 (11) 1079-1080
- 6 Siegal D, Yudin J, Kaatz S, Douketis JD, Lim W, Spyropoulos AC. Periprocedural heparin bridging in patients receiving vitamin K antagonists: systematic review and meta-analysis of bleeding and thromboembolic rates. Circulation 2012; 126 (13) 1630-1639
- 7 Douketis JD, Spyropoulos AC, Kaatz S. , et al; BRIDGE Investigators. Perioperative bridging anticoagulation in patients with atrial fibrillation. N Engl J Med 2015; 373 (09) 823-833
- 8 Vink R, Sohne M, Huisman MV. Bridging anticoagulation in patients with atrial fibrillation. N Engl J Med 2016; 374 (01) 91
- 9 FNT-Normen; 2018. Federatie van Nederlandse Trombosediensten. Available at: https://www.fnt.nl/kwaliteit/fnt-veldnorm . Accessed April 6, 2018
- 10 Sherwood MW, Douketis JD, Patel MR. , et al; ROCKET AF Investigators. Outcomes of temporary interruption of rivaroxaban compared with warfarin in patients with nonvalvular atrial fibrillation: results from the rivaroxaban once daily, oral, direct factor Xa inhibition compared with vitamin K antagonism for prevention of stroke and embolism trial in atrial fibrillation (ROCKET AF). Circulation 2014; 129 (18) 1850-1859
- 11 Douketis JD, Healey JS, Brueckmann M. , et al. Perioperative bridging anticoagulation during dabigatran or warfarin interruption among patients who had an elective surgery or procedure. Substudy of the RE-LY trial. Thromb Haemost 2015; 113 (03) 625-632
- 12 Gallego P, Apostolakis S, Lip GY. Bridging evidence-based practice and practice-based evidence in periprocedural anticoagulation. Circulation 2012; 126 (13) 1573-1576
- 13 Spyropoulos AC. Pro: “Bridging anticoagulation is needed during warfarin interruption in patients who require elective surgery”. Thromb Haemost 2012; 108 (02) 213-216
- 14 Douketis JD. Contra: “Bridging anticoagulation is needed during warfarin interruption when patients require elective surgery”. Thromb Haemost 2012; 108 (02) 210-212
- 15 Bell BR, Spyropoulos AC, Douketis JD. Perioperative management of the direct oral anticoagulants: a case-based review. Hematol Oncol Clin North Am 2016; 30 (05) 1073-1084
- 16 Awker AL, Bell MA, McGraw M, Klein MA. Impact of educational intervention on management of periprocedural anticoagulation. Am J Health Syst Pharm 2017; 74 (23) (Suppl. 04) S95-S101
- 17 Roberts LN, Durkin M, Arya R. Annotation: developing a national programme for VTE prevention. Br J Haematol 2017; 178 (01) 162-170
- 18 Flodgren G, Hall AM, Goulding L. , et al. Tools developed and disseminated by guideline producers to promote the uptake of their guidelines. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2016; (08) CD010669
- 19 Aantal patiënten en patiëntbehandeljaren. Samenvatting Medische Jaarverslagen, 2016: Federatie van Nederlandse Trombosediensten. Available at: https://www.fnt.nl/algemeen/jaarverslagen . Accessed March 14, 2018
- 20 Cohen AT, Tapson VF, Bergmann JF. , et al; ENDORSE Investigators. Venous thromboembolism risk and prophylaxis in the acute hospital care setting (ENDORSE study): a multinational cross-sectional study. Lancet 2008; 371 (9610) 387-394