Subscribe to RSS
Shoulder Arthroplasty: Tenotomy of the Subscapularis Tendon versus the Lesser Tuberosity OsteotomyArticle in several languages: português | English
Objective To evaluate and compare subscapular muscle function among patients undergoing subscapular tenotomy (Group A) and lesser tuberosity osteotomy (Group B), in patients treated with total and partial anatomic shoulder arthroplasty for primary osteoarthrosis.
Methods Retrospective study of patients with primary glenohumeral osteoarthrosis surgically undergoing total or partial anatomic shoulder prosthesis implant, evaluated by clinical examination, imaging exams, analogue pain scale and Constant and Murley functional score. A total of 28 patients were evaluated, totalizing a sample of 32 operated shoulders. The minimum follow-up was of 12 months (mean 47.45 months).
Results Among patients submitted to subscapularis tendon tenotomy, 10 had an ultrasound with total rupture of its thickness (56%). All of the patients of the group B showed lesser tuberosity healing. There was no difference between groups comparing strength evaluated by Belly press and Bear hug tests as well as clinical outcome, through the Constant and Murley score.
Conclusions We did not find differences between Groups A and B evidenciated by comparing strength in the Lift-off test, in the Belly press and Bear hug tests and through he Constant and Murley score.
Received: 10 April 2018
Accepted: 12 February 2019
29 May 2020 (online)
© 2020. The Author(s). This is an open access article published by Thieme under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-NonDerivative-NonCommercial-License, permitting copying and reproduction so long as the original work is given appropriate credit. Contents may not be used for commercial purposes, or adapted, remixed, transformed or built upon. (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/4.0/).
Sociedade Brasileira de Ortopedia e Traumatologia. Published by Thieme Revinter Publicações Ltda
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
- 1 Cofield RH. Total shoulder arthroplasty with the Neer prosthesis. J Bone Joint Surg Am 1984; 66 (06) 899-906
- 2 Caplan JL, Whitfield B, Neviaser RJ. Subscapularis function after primary tendon to tendon repair in patients after replacement arthroplasty of the shoulder. J Shoulder Elbow Surg 2009; 18 (02) 193-196 , discussion 197–198
- 3 Miller SL, Hazrati Y, Klepps S, Chiang A, Flatow EL. Loss of subscapularis function after total shoulder replacement: A seldom recognized problem. J Shoulder Elbow Surg 2003; 12 (01) 29-34
- 4 Miller BS, Joseph TA, Noonan TJ, Horan MP, Hawkins RJ. Rupture of the subscapularis tendon after shoulder arthroplasty: diagnosis, treatment, and outcome. J Shoulder Elbow Surg 2005; 14 (05) 492-496
- 5 Gerber C, Yian EH, Pfirrmann CA, Zumstein MA, Werner CM. Subscapularis muscle function and structure after total shoulder replacement with lesser tuberosity osteotomy and repair. J Bone Joint Surg Am 2005; 87 (08) 1739-1745
- 6 Van den Berghe GR, Nguyen B, Patil S. , et al. A biomechanical evaluation of three surgical techniques for subscapularis repair. J Shoulder Elbow Surg 2008; 17 (01) 156-161
- 7 Schrock JB, Kraeutler MJ, Houck DA, Provenzano GG, McCarty EC, Bravman JT. Lesser tuberosity osteotomy and subscapularis tenotomy repair techniques during total shoulder arthroplasty: A meta-analysis of cadaveric studies. Clin Biomech (Bristol, Avon) 2016; 40: 33-36
- 8 Louie PK, Levy DM, Bach Jr BR, Nicholson GP, Romeo AA. Subscapularis Tenotomy Versus Lesser Tuberosity Osteotomy for Total Shoulder Arthroplasty: A Systematic Review. Am J Orthop 2017; 46 (02) E131-E138
- 9 Choate WS, Kwapisz A, Momaya AM, Hawkins RJ, Tokish JM. Outcomes for subscapularis management techniques in shoulder arthroplasty: a systematic review. J Shoulder Elbow Surg 2018; 27 (02) 363-370
- 10 Gerber C, Pennington SD, Yian EH, Pfirrmann CA, Werner CM, Zumstein MA. Lesser tuberosity osteotomy for total shoulder arthroplasty. Surgical technique. J Bone Joint Surg Am 2006; 88 (Suppl 1 Pt 2): 170-177
- 11 Jensen MP, Karoly P, Braver S. The measurement of clinical pain intensity: a comparison of six methods. Pain 1986; 27 (01) 117-126
- 12 Constant CR, Gerber C, Emery RJ, Søjbjerg JO, Gohlke F, Boileau P. A review of the Constant score: modifications and guidelines for its use. J Shoulder Elbow Surg 2008; 17 (02) 355-361
- 13 Gerber C, Krushell RJ. Isolated rupture of the tendon of the subscapularis muscle. Clinical features in 16 cases. J Bone Joint Surg Br 1991; 73 (03) 389-394
- 14 Gerber C, Hersche O, Farron A. Isolated rupture of the subscapularis tendon. J Bone Joint Surg Am 1996; 78 (07) 1015-1023
- 15 Barth JR, Burkhart SS, De Beer JF. The bear-hug test: a new and sensitive test for diagnosing a subscapularis tear. Arthroscopy 2006; 22 (10) 1076-1084
- 16 Cohen J. A power primer. Psychol Bull 1992; 112 (01) 155-159
- 17 Walch G, Boileau P, Noël E. Shoulder arthroplasty: evolving techniques and indications. Joint Bone Spine 2010; 77 (06) 501-505
- 18 Shafritz AB, Fitzgerald MG, Beynnon BD, DeSarno MJ. Lift-off Test Results After Lesser Tuberosity Osteotomy Versus Subscapularis Peel in Primary Total Shoulder Arthroplasty. J Am Acad Orthop Surg 2017; 25 (04) 304-313
- 19 Jandhyala S, Unnithan A, Hughes S, Hong T. Subscapularis tenotomy versus lesser tuberosity osteotomy during total shoulder replacement: a comparison of patient outcomes. J Shoulder Elbow Surg 2011; 20 (07) 1102-1107
- 20 Scalise JJ, Ciccone J, Iannotti JP. Clinical, radiographic, and ultrasonographic comparison of subscapularis tenotomy and lesser tuberosity osteotomy for total shoulder arthroplasty. J Bone Joint Surg Am 2010; 92 (07) 1627-1634
- 21 Buckley T, Miller R, Nicandri G, Lewis R, Voloshin I. Analysis of subscapularis integrity and function after lesser tuberosity osteotomy versus subscapularis tenotomy in total shoulder arthroplasty using ultrasound and validated clinical outcome measures. J Shoulder Elbow Surg 2014; 23 (09) 1309-1317
- 22 Liem D, Kleeschulte K, Dedy N, Schulte TL, Steinbeck J, Marquardt B. Subscapularis function after transosseous repair in shoulder arthroplasty: transosseous subscapularis repair in shoulder arthroplasty. J Shoulder Elbow Surg 2012; 21 (10) 1322-1327
- 23 Qureshi S, Hsiao A, Klug RA, Lee E, Braman J, Flatow EL. Subscapularis function after total shoulder replacement: results with lesser tuberosity osteotomy. J Shoulder Elbow Surg 2008; 17 (01) 68-72
- 24 Itoi E, Minagawa H, Yamamoto N, Seki N, Abe H. Are pain location and physical examinations useful in locating a tear site of the rotator cuff?. Am J Sports Med 2006; 34 (02) 256-264
- 25 Leroux JL, Thomas E, Bonnel F, Blotman F. Diagnostic value of clinical tests for shoulder impingement syndrome. Rev Rhum Engl Ed 1995; 62 (06) 423-428