Subscribe to RSS
Comparative Study between Scales: Subjective Elbow Value and Patient-rated Tennis Elbow Evaluation Applied to Patients Affected by Lateral EpicondylitisArticle in several languages: português | English
Objective To verify if the subjective elbow value (SEV) scale presents similar results to those of the Patient-rated Tennis Elbow Evaluation (PRTEE) scale in the evaluation of patients with lateral elbow epicondylitis (LEE).
Methods Thirty-seven patients were diagnosed with LEE in the outpatient service of our hospital through clinical history, physical examination, X-ray, and ultrasonography. The SEV and PRTEE scales were used and their results were compared using a significance level ≥ 5% (p ≥0.05).
Results A statistically significant relationship was found between the values of SEV and PRTEE in the group of patients studied (p = 0.017).
Conclusion Subjective elbow value presented similar results to PRTEE in the evaluation of patients with diagnosis of LEE.
Received: 01 February 2018
Accepted: 28 March 2019
20 October 2020 (online)
© 2020. The Author(s). This is an open access article published by Thieme under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-NonDerivative-NonCommercial-License, permitting copying and reproduction so long as the original work is given appropriate credit. Contents may not be used for commercial purposes, or adapted, remixed, transformed or built upon. (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/4.0/).
Sociedade Brasileira de Ortopedia e Traumatologia. Published by Thieme Revinter Publicações Ltda
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
- 1 Potter HG, Hannafin JA, Morwessel RM, DiCarlo EF, O'Brien SJ, Altchek DW. Lateral epicondylitis: correlation of MR imaging, surgical, and histopathologic findings. Radiology 1995; 196 (01) 43-46
- 2 Matache BA, Berdusco R, Momoli F, Lapner PL, Pollock JW. A randomized, double-blind sham-controlled trial on the efficacy of arthroscopic tennis elbow release for the management of chronic lateral epicondylitis. BMC Musculoskelet Disord 2016; 17 (01) 239
- 3 Connell D, Burke F, Coombes P. et al. Sonographic examination of lateral epicondylitis. AJR Am J Roentgenol 2001; 176 (03) 777-782
- 4 Labelle H, Guibert R, Joncas J, Newman N, Fallaha M, Rivard CH. Lack of scientific evidence for the treatment of lateral epicondylitis of the elbow. An attempted meta-analysis. J Bone Joint Surg Br 1992; 74 (05) 646-651
- 5 Smidt N, Assendelft WJ, Arola H. et al. Effectiveness of physiotherapy for lateral epicondylitis: a systematic review. Ann Med 2003; 35 (01) 51-62
- 6 Nilsson P, Baigi A, Marklund B, Månsson J. Cross-cultural adaptation and determination of the reliability and validity of PRTEE-S (Patientskattad Utvärdering av Tennisarmbåge), a questionnaire for patients with lateral epicondylalgia, in a Swedish population. BMC Musculoskelet Disord 2008; 9 (01) 79
- 7 Macdermid J. Update: the patient-rated forearm evaluation questionnaire is now the patient-rated tennis elbow evaluation. J Hand Ther 2005; 18 (04) 407-410
- 8 Rompe JD, Overend TJ, MacDermid JC. Validation of the patient-rated tennis elbow evaluation questionnaire. J Hand Ther 2007; 20 (01) 3-10 , quiz 11
- 9 Sousa de Andrade C, Costa Souza R, Rosane Chamlian T. et al. Tradução e adaptação cultural do questionário PRTEE (Patient-rated Tennis Elbow Evaluation) para a língua portuguesa. Cad Ter Ocup UFSCar 2011; 19 (03) 281-288
- 10 Newcomer KL, Martinez-Silvestrini JA, Schaefer MP, Gay RE, Arendt KW. Sensitivity of the Patient-rated Forearm Evaluation Questionnaire in lateral epicondylitis. J Hand Ther 2005; 18 (04) 400-406
- 11 Taylor SA, Hannafin JA. Evaluation and management of elbow tendinopathy. Sports Health 2012; 4 (05) 384-393
- 12 Levin D, Nazarian LN, Miller TT. et al. Lateral epicondylitis of the elbow: US findings. Radiology 2005; 237 (01) 230-234
- 13 Plancher KD, Halbrecht J, Lourie GM. Medial and lateral epicondylitis in the athlete. Clin Sports Med 1996; 15 (02) 283-305
- 14 Overend TJ, Wuori-Fearn JL, Kramer JF, MacDermid JC. Reliability of a patient-rated forearm evaluation questionnaire for patients with lateral epicondylitis. J Hand Ther 1999; 12 (01) 31-37
- 15 Sathyamoorthy P, Kemp GJ, Rawal A, Rayner V, Frostick SP. Development and validation of an elbow score. Rheumatology (Oxford) 2004; 43 (11) 1434-1440
- 16 Schneeberger AG, Kösters MC, Steens W. Comparison of the subjective elbow value and the Mayo elbow performance score. J Shoulder Elbow Surg 2014; 23 (03) 308-312
- 17 Ernstbrunner L, Hingsammer A, Imam MA. et al. Long-term results of total elbow arthroplasty in patients with hemophilia. J Shoulder Elbow Surg 2018; 27 (01) 126-132
- 18 Elhassan B, Karabekmez F, Hsu CC, Steinmann S, Moran S. Outcome of local anconeus flap transfer to cover soft tissue defects over the posterior aspect of the elbow. J Shoulder Elbow Surg 2011; 20 (05) 807-812