Clinical Study of the Lateral Supramalleolar Flap in the Soft Tissue Reconstruction around the Ankle RegionSources of Support None.
04 March 2020 (online)
Objective The purpose of this study is to present the efficiency of the lateral supramalleolar flap which is a very useful and yet underutilized in the soft tissue reconstruction of the regions extending from the distal leg, ankle, and foot.
Methods Over a period of 3 years, 20 flaps were used in the reconstruction of soft tissue defects in the region extending from the distal leg, ankle, and foot. The location of the defects, the etiology, possible alternative flaps, outcome, and the complications were studied and presented.
Results The follow-up period of the cases was from 1 month to 18 months after surgery. Seventeen flaps survived and three were lost. All the three lost flaps were those used over the tendocalcaneal region. The lost flaps were later replaced with split skin graft after the wound was debrided and was later covered with granulation tissue.
Conclusion The lateral supramalleolar flap is a very useful flap in the regional soft tissue reconstruction around the ankle except in the tendocalcaneal region.
- 1 Masquelet AC, Beveridge J, Romana C, Gerber C. The lateral supramalleolar flap. Plast Reconstr Surg 1988; 81 (01) 74-81
- 2 Valenti P, Masquelet AC, Romana C, Nordin JY. Technical refinement of the lateral supramalleolar flap. Br J Plast Surg 1991; 44 (06) 459-462
- 3 Lee JH, Chung DW. Reverse lateral supramalleolar adipofascial flap and skin grafting for one-stage soft tissue reconstruction of foot and ankle joint. Microsurgery 2010; 30 (06) 423-429
- 4 Akita S, Mitsukawa N, Rikihisa N. et al. Descending branch of the perforating branch of the peroneal artery perforator-based island flap for reconstruction of the lateral malleolus with minimal invasion. Plast Reconstr Surg 2013; 132 (02) 461-469
- 5 Rong K, Chen C, Hao LW, Xu XY, Wang ZT. Redefining the vascular classifications of the lateral supramalleolar flap. Ann Plast Surg 2016; 77 (03) 341-344
- 6 Hamdi MF, Khlifi A. Lateral supramalleolar flap for coverage of ankle and foot defects in children. J Foot Ankle Surg 2012; 51 (01) 106-109
- 7 Quirino AC, Viegas KC. Fasciocutaneous flaps for covering foot and ankle injuries. Rev Bras Ortop 2014; 49 (02) 183-188