The Distance between the Pectoralis Major Tendon Insertion and the Top of the Humeral Head is a Reliable Landmark: An Anatomic StudyFunding None.
08 July 2018
04 November 2019
13 December 2019 (online)
Purpose This study aimed to analyze the distance between the superior edge of the pectoralis major and the top of the humeral head and evaluate whether this distance is a consistent measurement.
Methods Twenty-two shoulders in eleven cadavers were dissected and the attachment of the pectoralis major tendon was preserved. Two distances were recorded with the help of digital vernier caliper: the distance between the upper edge of pectoralis major and tangent to the top of humeral head (PM–T) and the distance between the superomedial tip of greater tuberosity (GT) and the upper edge of the pectoralis major tendon (PM–G; ± standard error of the means).
Results The mean PM–T distance was 53.8 mm (±0.8 mm) and the mean PM–G distance was 46.8 mm (±0.9 mm). The distance between the top of humeral head and tip of the GT was 7 mm. The PM–T distance was a significant outlier in three shoulders as it inserted high on the humerus.
Conclusion We can conclude that the PM–T and PM–G distances were a consistent measurement.
Clinical Relevance The distance between the pectoralis major tendon and top of the humeral head was measured in this study as a reliable method that can be used intraoperatively to decide the height of the humerus prosthesis in comminuted fractures of the proximal humerus.
Keywordscadaver study - shoulder hemiarthroplasty - pectoralis major - tendon insertion - humeral head
This article does not contain any studies with human participants or animals performed by any of the authors.
- 1 Südkamp N, Bayer J, Hepp P. , et al. Open reduction and internal fixation of proximal humeral fractures with use of the locking proximal humerus plate. Results of a prospective, multicenter, observational study. J Bone Joint Surg Am 2009; 91 (06) 1320-1328
- 2 Fankhauser F, Boldin C, Schippinger G, Haunschmid C, Szyszkowitz R. A new locking plate for unstable fractures of the proximal humerus. Clin Orthop Relat Res 2005; (430) 176-181
- 3 Jost B, Spross C, Grehn H, Gerber C. Locking plate fixation of fractures of the proximal humerus: analysis of complications, revision strategies and outcome. J Shoulder Elbow Surg 2013; 22 (04) 542-549
- 4 Zyto K, Wallace WA, Frostick SP, Preston BJ. Outcome after hemiarthroplasty for three- and four-part fractures of the proximal humerus. J Shoulder Elbow Surg 1998; 7 (02) 85-89
- 5 Boileau P, Krishnan SG, Tinsi L, Walch G, Coste JS, Molé D. Tuberosity malposition and migration: reasons for poor outcomes after hemiarthroplasty for displaced fractures of the proximal humerus. J Shoulder Elbow Surg 2002; 11 (05) 401-412
- 6 Becker R, Pap G, Machner A, Neumann WH. Strength and motion after hemiarthroplasty in displaced four-fragment fracture of the proximal humerus: 27 patients followed for 1-6 years. Acta Orthop Scand 2002; 73 (01) 44-49
- 7 Dimakopoulos P, Potamitis N, Lambiris E. Hemiarthroplasty in the treatment of comminuted intraarticular fractures of the proximal humerus. Clin Orthop Relat Res 1997; (341) 7-11
- 8 Goldman RT, Koval KJ, Cuomo F, Gallagher MA, Zuckerman JD. Functional outcome after humeral head replacement for acute three- and four-part proximal humeral fractures. J Shoulder Elbow Surg 1995; 4 (02) 81-86
- 9 Reuther F, Müller S, Wahl D. Management of humeral head fractures with a trauma shoulder prosthesis: correlation between joint function and healing of the tuberosities. Acta Orthop Belg 2007; 73 (02) 179-187
- 10 Sirveaux F, Roche O, Molé D. Shoulder arthroplasty for acute proximal humerus fracture. Orthop Traumatol Surg Res 2010; 96 (06) 683-694
- 11 Murachovsky J, Ikemoto RY, Nascimento LGP, Bueno RS, Strose E, Almeida LH. The distance between the pectoral major tendon insertion and the top of the humeral head as a landmark for proper placement of hemiarthroplasty in fractures of the proximal humerus. Tech Shoulder Elbow Surg 2008; 9 (02) 66-69
- 12 Torrens C, Corrales M, Melendo E, Solano A, Rodríguez-Baeza A, Cáceres E. The pectoralis major tendon as a reference for restoring humeral length and retroversion with hemiarthroplasty for fracture. J Shoulder Elbow Surg 2008; 17 (06) 947-950
- 13 Hromádka R, Kuběna AA, Smíd M, Popelka S. Medial calcar of proximal humeral fracture as landmark in restoration of humeral length in case of hemiarthroplasty. Surg Radiol Anat 2014; 36 (05) 473-479
- 14 Boileau P, Winter M, Cikes A. , et al. Can surgeons predict what makes a good hemiarthroplasty for fracture?. J Shoulder Elbow Surg 2013; 22 (11) 1495-1506
- 15 Frankle MA, Mighell MA. Techniques and principles of tuberosity fixation for proximal humeral fractures treated with hemiarthroplasty. J Shoulder Elbow Surg 2004; 13 (02) 239-247
- 16 Boileau P, Walch G. The three-dimensional geometry of the proximal humerus. Implications for surgical technique and prosthetic design. J Bone Joint Surg Br 1997; 79 (05) 857-865
- 17 Shiu B, Jazini E, Robertson A, Henn RF, Hasan SA. Anatomical Relationship of the Axillary Nerve to the Pectoralis Major Tendon Insertion. Orthopedics 2017; 40 (03) e460-e464
- 18 de Figueiredo EA, Terra BB, Cohen C. , et al. The pectoralis major footprint: An anatomical study. Rev Bras Ortop 2013; 48 (06) 519-523
- 19 Kim TK, Phillips M, Bhandari M, Watson J, Malhotra R. What differences in morphologic features of the knee exist among patients of various races? A systematic review. Clin Orthop Relat Res 2017; 475 (01) 170-182
- 20 Zhang L, Yuan B, Wang C, Liu Z. Comparison of anatomical shoulder prostheses and the proximal humeri of Chinese people. Proc Inst Mech Eng H 2007; 221 (08) 921-927
- 21 Aroonjarattham P, Jiamwatthanachai P, Mahaisavariya B, Kiatiwat T, Aroonjaratthammd K, Sitthiseripratip K. Three-dimensional morphometric study of the Thai proximal humerus: cadaveric study. J Med Assoc Thai 2009; 92 (09) 1191-1197
- 22 Zhou J, Zhang L, Shen L, Zhu M, Zheng F. Analyzing on the location of the bicipital groove for alignment in shoulder arthroplasty of Chinese. J Orthop Sci 2017; 22 (03) 425-429
- 23 Hasan SA, Rauls RB, Cordell CL, Heinzelmann AD, Siegel ER. Pectoralis major insertional ratio in proximal humerus fractures: a method to reconstruct humeral head height in arthroplasty. Orthopedics 2009; 32 (10) DOI: 10.3928/01477447-20090818-13.
- 24 Ponce BA, Thompson KJ, Rosenzweig SD. , et al. Re-evaluation of pectoralis major height as an anatomic reference for humeral height in fracture hemiarthroplasty. J Shoulder Elbow Surg 2013; 22 (11) 1567-1572
- 25 Demirhan M, Kilicoglu O, Altinel L, Eralp L, Akalin Y. Prognostic factors in prosthetic replacement for acute proximal humerus fractures. J Orthop Trauma 2003; 17 (03) 181-188
- 26 Mighell MA, Kolm GP, Collinge CA, Frankle MA. Outcomes of hemiarthroplasty for fractures of the proximal humerus. J Shoulder Elbow Surg 2003; 12 (06) 569-577
- 27 Iannotti JP, Gabriel JP, Schneck SL, Evans BG, Misra S. The normal glenohumeral relationships. An anatomical study of one hundred and forty shoulders. J Bone Joint Surg Am 1992; 74 (04) 491-500