Study on Closure of Skull Base Defect Post–Endoscopic Endonasal Transsphenoid Pituitary Surgery: A Novel Flap Design
10 June 2019
28 September 2019
14 November 2019 (online)
Objective This study was aimed to compare the closure of skull base defect in endoscopic endonasal transsphenoid surgery of pituitary tumors, using bipedicled nasal septal flap versus fascial closure. The study hypothesis being that bipedicled nasal septal flap is better, compared with fascial closure of skull base defect post–endoscopic endonasal transsphenoid surgery of pituitary tumors.
Methods All the eligible patients were randomly divided into two groups and then randomly allocated to the surgeons. In one group, fat and fascia lata was used for closure of the skull base defect and nasal septal flap was not harvested whereas in the other, nasal septal flap was used for closure.
Result There was a statistically significant difference in postoperative cerebrospinal fluid leak between the two groups. Patients who had undergone flap repair had lower incidence of postoperative cerebrospinal fluid (CSF) leak. Duration of postoperative hospital stay was also less among the group who underwent flap repair (statistically significant).
Conclusion Bipedicled nasal septal flap serves an excellent cover for the skull base defect following endoscopic endonasal transsphenoidal pituitary surgery. It can prevent postoperative CSF leak even in cases where tissue glue is not used.
- 1 Hegazy HM, Carrau RL, Snyderman CH, Kassam A, Zweig J. Transnasal endoscopic repair of cerebrospinal fluid rhinorrhea: a meta-analysis. Laryngoscope 2000; 110 (07) 1166-1172
- 2 Jackson IT, Adham MN, Marsh WR. Use of the galeal frontalis myofascial flap in craniofacial surgery. Plast Reconstr Surg 1986; 77 (06) 905-910
- 3 Thurnher D, Novak CB, Neligan PC, Gullane PJ. Reconstruction of lateral skull base defects after tumor ablation. Skull Base 2007; 17 (01) 79-88
- 4 Snyderman CH, Janecka IP, Sekhar LN, Sen CN, Eibling DE. Anterior cranial base reconstruction: role of galeal and pericranial flaps. Laryngoscope 1990; 100 (06) 607-614
- 5 Kang MD, Escott E, Thomas AJ. , et al. The MR imaging appearance of the vascular pedicle nasoseptal flap. AJNR Am J Neuroradiol 2009; 30 (04) 781-786
- 6 Chang DW, Satterfield WC, Son D. , et al. Use of vascularized periosteum or bone to improve healing of segmental allografts after tumor resection: an ovine rib model. Plast Reconstr Surg 2009; 123 (01) 71-78
- 7 Brunworth J, Lin T, Keschner DB, Garg R, Lee JT. Use of the Hadad-Bassagasteguy flap for repair of recurrent cerebrospinal fluid leak after prior transsphenoidal surgery. Allergy Rhinol (Providence) 2013; 4 (03) e155-e161
- 8 Hadad G, Bassagasteguy L, Carrau RL. , et al. A novel reconstructive technique after endoscopic expanded endonasal approaches: vascular pedicle nasoseptal flap. Laryngoscope 2006; 116 (10) 1882-1886
- 9 Kassam AB, Thomas A, Carrau RL. , et al. Endoscopic reconstruction of the cranial base using a pedicled nasoseptal flap. Neurosurgery 2008; 63 (01) (Suppl. 01) ONS44-ONS52 , discussion ONS52–ONS53
- 10 Knosp E, Steiner E, Kitz K, Matula C. Pituitary adenomas with invasion of the cavernous sinus space: a magnetic resonance imaging classification compared with surgical findings. Neurosurgery 1993; 33 (04) 610-617 , discussion 617–618
- 11 Esposito F, Dusick JR, Fatemi N, Kelly DF. Graded repair of cranial base defects and cerebrospinal fluid leaks in transsphenoidal surgery. Oper Neurosurg (Hagerstown) 2007; 60 (04) (Suppl. 02) 295-303 , discussion 303–304
- 12 Lund VJ, Stammberger H, Nicolai P. , et al; European Rhinologic Society Advisory Board on Endoscopic Techniques in the Management of Nose, Paranasal Sinus and Skull Base Tumours. European position paper on endoscopic management of tumours of the nose, paranasal sinuses and skull base. Rhinol Suppl 2010; 22: 1-143
- 13 Patel MR, Stadler ME, Snyderman CH. , et al. How to choose? Endoscopic skull base reconstructive options and limitations. Skull Base 2010; 20 (06) 397-404
- 14 Umamaheswaran P, Krishnaswamy V, Krishnamurthy G, Mohanty S. Outcomes of surgical repair of skull base defects following endonasal pituitary surgery: a retrospective observational study. Indian J Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 2019; 71 (01) 66-70
- 15 Benjamin C, Pacione D, Bevilacqua J. , et al. Quality Improvement in Endoscopic Endonasal Surgery. J Neurol Surg B 2019; 80 (S 01): S1-S244
- 16 Nyquist GG, Anand VK, Singh A, Schwartz TH. Janus flap: bilateral nasoseptal flaps for anterior skull base reconstruction. Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 2010; 142 (03) 327-331
- 17 Solyar AY, Fried MP, Goldberg AN, Kennedy DW, Lanza DC. Pedicled nasoseptal flap is not the standard of care for skull base defects. Laryngoscope 2011; 121 (04) 896-897 , author reply 898