Reconstructive foot and ankle surgeries in diabetic patients
31 December 2019 (online)
Diabetic foot and ankle deformities are secondary to long-standing diabetes and neglected foot care. The concept of surgical correction for these deformities is quite recent. The primary objective of reconstructive foot and ankle surgery is the reduction of increased plantar pressures, reduction of pain and the restoration of function, stability and proper appearance. Foot and ankle deformities can result in significant disability, loss of life style, employment and even the loss of the lower limb. Therefore, restoration of normal, problem free foot function and activities will have a significant impact on peoples’ lives. Reconstructive surgical procedures are complex and during reconstruction, internal and external fixation devices, including pins, compression screws, staples, and wires, may be used for repair and stabilization. The surgeries performed depend on the type and severity of the condition. Surgery can involve any part of the foot and ankle, and may involve tendon, bone, joint, tissue or skin repair. Corrective surgeries can at times be performed on an outpatient basis with minimally invasive techniques. Recovery time depends on the type of condition being treated.
- 1 Definition, diagnosis and classification of diabetes mellitus and it’s Complication. Report of consultation. Geneva: WHO; 1999 Report 250.
- 2 Vijay V, Snehalatha C, Ramachandran A. Socio-cultural practices that may affect the development of the diabetic foot. ‘International Diabetic Federation’ Bulletin 1997;42:10-2.
- 3 Morbach S, Lutale JK, Viswanathan V, Mollenberg J, Ochs HR, Rajashekar S, et al. Regional differences in risk factors and clinical presentation of diabetic foot lesions. Diabet Med 2004;21:91-5.
- 4 Armstrong DG, Wrobel J, Robbins JM. Guest Editorial: Are diabetes-related wounds and amputations worse than cancer? Int Wound J 2007;4:286-7.
- 5 Rogers LC. Preventing amputation in patients with diabetes. Podiatry Today 2008;21:44-50.
- 6 Banks AM, McGlamry ED. Charcot foot. J Am Podiatr Assoc 1979;5:213-35.
- 7 Apelqvist J, Larsson J, Agardh C. Changing Perspectives in Diabetic Foot Ulcer Management. Long-term prognosis for diabetic, patients with foot ulcers. J Intern Med 1993;233:485-91.
- 8 Kelly M. William Musgrave’s De Arthritide Symptomatica (1703). Bull Hist Med 1963;37:372-6.
- 9 Brower AC, Allman RM. The neuropathic joint. Radiol Clin North Am 1981;19:571-9.
- 10 Pinzur MS, Anderson RB, Cantrall R, Lamborn K. The American Orthopaedic Foot and Ankle Society Diabetes 2000 Foot Screen. Vail, CO: Annual Summer Meeting of the American Orthopaedic Foot and Ankle Society; 2000.
- 11 Myerson MS, Edwards WH. Management of Neuropathic Fractures in the Foot and Ankle. J Am Acad Orthop Surg. 1999;7:8-18.
- 12 Infante AF Jr, Heier K, DiPasquale T, Herscovici D Jr, Walling A, Sanders RW. Operative treatment of 635 displaced intra-articular calcaneal fractures. Orlando, FL: Annual Meeting of the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons; 2000.
- 13 Rippstein P. Agility ankle prosthesis: Results of 27 cases. Vail, CO: Annual Summer Meeting of the American Orthopaedic Foot and Ankle Society; 2000.
- 14 Frykberg RG, Zgonis T, Armstrong DG, Driver VR, Giurini JM, Kravitz SR, et al. Diabetic foot disorders. A clinical practice guideline (2006 revision). J Foot Ankle Surg 2006;45: S1-66.
- 15 Roukis TS, Zgonis T. The management of acute Charcot fracture-dislocations with the Taylor’s spatial external fixation system. Clin Podiatr Med Surg 2006;23:467-83.
- 16 Catanzariti AR, Mendicino R, Haverstock B. Ostectomy for diabetic neuroarthropathy involving the midfoot. J Foot Ankle Surg 2000;39:291-300.
- 17 Wukich DK, Belczyk RJ, Burns PR, Frykberg RG. Complications encountered with circular ring fixation in persons with diabetes mellitus. Foot Ankle Int 2008;29:994-1000.
- 18 Rogers LC, Bevilacqua NJ, Frykberg RG, Armstrong DG. Predictors of postoperative complications of Ilizarov external ring fixators in the foot and ankle. J Foot Ankle Surg 2007;46:372-5.
- 19 Bevilacqua NJ, Dankert JP, Rogers LC, Armstrong DG. A technique to protect external fixation devices. J Foot Ankle Surg 2008;47:172-4.
- 20 Mendicino RW, Catanzariti AR, Saltrick KR, Dombek MF, Tullis BL, Statler TK, et al. Tibiotalocalcaneal arthrodesis with retrograde intramedullary nailing. J Foot Ankle Surg 2004;43:82-6.
- 21 Fleischli JE, Anderson RB, Davis WH. Dorsiflexion metatarsal osteotomy for treatment of recalcitrant diabetic neuropathic ulcers. Foot Ankle Int 1999;20:80-5.
- 22 Tanaka Y, Takakura Y, Sugimoto K, Kumai T, Sakamoto T, Kadono K. Precise anatomic configuration changes in the first ray of the hallux valgus foot. Foot Ankle Int 2000;21:651-6.
- 23 Coughlin MJ, Dorris J, Polk E. Operative repair of the fixed hammertoe deformity. Foot Ankle Int 2000;21:94-104.
- 24 Taranow WS, Bisignani GA, Towers JD, Conti SF. Retrograde drilling of osteochondral lesions of the medial talar dome. Foot Ankle Int 1999;20:474-80.
- 25 Morscher E, Ulrich J, Dick W. Morton"s intermetatarsal neuroma: Morphology and histological substrate. Foot Ankle Int 2000;21:558-62.
- 26 Colgrove RC, Huang EY, Barth AH, Greene MA. Interdigital neuroma: Intermuscular neuroma transposition compared with resection. Foot Ankle Int 2000;21:206-11.
- 27 Zingas CN, Collon D, Anderson K. Shock wave therapy for plantar fasciitis. Vail, CO: Annual Summer Meeting of the American Orthopaedic Foot and Ankle Society; 2000.
- 28 Eichenholtz SN. Charcot Joints. Springfield: Charles C. Thomas; 1966.
- 29 Rogers LS, Frykberg RG. A Guide to Early Intervention for the Charcot foot. Podiatry Today 2008;21:66-72.
- 30 Guyton GP, Mann RA. Flexor digitorum longus transfer and medial displacement calcaneal osteotomy for posterior tibial tendon dysfunction: A middle-term clinical follow-up. Vail, CO: Annual Summer Meeting of the American Orthopaedic Foot and Ankle Society; 2000.
- 31 Mosier-LaClair S, Pomeroy G, Manoli A. Immediate follow-up on the durable osteotomy and tendon transfer procedure for grade II posterior tibial tendon insufficiency. Vail, CO: Annual Summer Meeting of the American Orthopaedic Foot and Ankle Society; 2000.
- 32 Song S, Deland JT. The use of the peroneus brevis tendon transfer in posterior tibial tendon insufficiency. Orlando, FL: Annual Winter Meeting of the American Orthopaedic Foot and Ankle Society; 2000.
- 33 Mizel MS, Temple HT, Scranton PE Jr, Gellman RE, Hecht PJ, Horton GA, et al. Role of the peroneal tendons in the production of the deformed foot with posterior tibial tendon deficiency. Foot Ankle Int 1999;20:285-9.
- 34 Varma AK, Mangalanandan TS, Kumar H. Amrita Sling Technique: A novel method of foot and ankle stabilization in the deformed Charcot foot. J Diabet Foot Complications 2009;1:1-7.