Tendon transfer for median nerve palsy
31 December 2019 (online)
The article describes the approach practiced by the author from 1995. Mainly Hansen's patients and lower forearm injuries formed the bulk of these. In Opponen's transfer ECU was used only when others were not available as the wrist developed a tendency to radial deviation even when FCU was acting. PL with palmar aponeurosis as extension was used again in limited cases. The main stay was FDS and EIP. The Guyan's canal and lower end of ulna were the common pulleys. APB and EPL two slip inserts yielded good results. The approach describes the procedure under three distinct headings of choosing motor, Pulley and insert. Varying combinations of these can be used as per requirement.
- 1 Royle ND. An operation for paralysis of the intrinsic muscles of the thumb. JAMA 1938;111:612.
- 2 Phalen GS, Miller RC. Transfer of wrist extensor muscles to restore or reinforceflexor power of the fingers and opposition of the thumb. J Bone Joint Surg Am 1947;29:993-7.
- 3 Burkhalter WE, Christensen RC, Brown PW. Extensor indicis proprius opponensplasty. J Bone Joint Surg Am 1973;55:725-32.
- 4 Camitz H. Uber die Behandlung der opposition slahmung. Acta Chir Scand 1929;65:77.
- 5 Littler JW, Cooley SG. Opposition of the thumb and its restoration by Abductor digiti quinti transfer. J Bone Joint Surg Am 1963;45:1389-96.
- 6 Bunnell S. Opposition of the thumb. J Bone Joint Surg Am 1938;20:269-84.
- 7 Brand PW. The hand in leprosy. Pulvertaft RG, editor. Clinical surgery of the hand. London: Butterworth’s; 1966. p. 279.
- 8 Bunnell S. Opposition of the thumb. J Bone Joint Surg Am 1938;20:269-84.
- 9 Thompson TC. A modified operation for opponens paralysis. J Bone Joint Surg Am 1942;24:632-40.
- 10 Henderson ED. Transfer of wrist extensor and Brachioradialis to restore opposition of the thumb. J Bone Joint Surg Am 1962;44:513-22.
- 11 Littler JW. Tendon transfers and arthrodesis in combined median and ulnar nerve paralysis. J Bone Joint Surg Am 1949;31:225-34.
- 12 Riordan DC. Tendon transfers for nerve paralysis of the hand and wrist. Curr Pract Orthop Surg 1964;2:17-40.
- 13 Palande DD. Opponensplasty in intrinsic-muscle paralysis of the thumb in leprosy. J Bone Joint Surg Am 1975;57:489-93.