Skeletal facial balance and harmony in the cleft patient: Principles and techniques in orthognathic surgery
15 January 2020 (online)
The management of the palatal cleft, dental arch, and subsequent maxillary form is a challenge for the craniomaxillofacial surgeon. The purpose of this paper is to present the experience of a senior surgeon (KES) who has treated over 2000 patients with cleft lip and palate. This paper focuses on the experience of a recent series of 103 consecutive orthognathic cases treated by one surgeon with a surgical-orthodontic, speech-oriented approach. It will concentrate on not only correcting the occlusion, as others have described, but also on how a surgeon who was trying to achieve optimal aesthetic balance, harmony, and beauty, approached this problem.
- 1 Salyer KE, Sng KW, Sperry EE. Two-flap palatoplasty: 20-year experience and evolution of surgical technique. Plast Reconstr Surg 2006;118:193-204.
- 2 Salyer KE, Bardach J, Squier CA, Gendler E, Kelly KM. Cranioplasty in the growing canine skull using demineralized perforated bone. Plast Reconstr Surg 1995;96:770-9.
- 3 Salyer KE, Gendler E, Menendez JL, Simon TR, Kelly KM, Bardach J. Demineralized perforated bone implants in craniofacial surgery. J Craniofac Surg 1992;3:55-62.
- 4 Salyer KE, Gendler E, Squier CA. Long-term outcome of extensive skull reconstruction using demineralized perforated bone in Siamese twins joined at the skull vertex. Plast Reconstr Surg 1997;99:1721-6.
- 5 Salyer KE. Malar augmentation using lamellar split osteotomy. J Craniofac Surg 1994;5:116-23.
- 6 Salyer KE, Hall CD, Joganic EF. Lamellar split osteotomy: a new craniofacial technique. Plast Reconstr Surg 1990;86:845-53.
- 7 Salyer KE. Excellence in cleft lip and palate treatment. J Craniofac Surg 2001;12: 2-5.
- 8 Salyer KE, Genecov ER, Genecov DG. Unilateral cleft lip-nose repair: A 33-year experience. J Craniofac Surg 2003;14:549-58.
- 9 Cruz AA, dos Santos AC. Blindness after Le Fort I osteotomy: a possible complication associated with pterygomaxillary separation. J Craniomaxillofac Surg 2006;34:210-6.
- 10 Collins PC, Epker BN. The alar base cinch: A technique for prevention of alar base flaring secondary to maxillary surgery. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol 1982;53: 549-53.
- 11 Guymon M, Crosby DR, Wolford LM. The alar base cinch suture to control nasal width in maxillary osteotomies. Int J Adult Orthodon Orthognath Surg 1988;3: 89-95.
- 12 Truaner R, Obwegeser H. The surgical correction of mandibular prognathism and retrognathia with consideration of genioplasty. I. Oral Surg Med Path 1957;10:677-89.
- 13 Truaner R, Obwegeser H. The surgical correction of mandibular prognathism and retrognathia with consideration of genioplasty. II. Oral Surg Med Path 1957;10:787OE92.
- 14 Salyer KE, Hall CD. Porous hydroxyapatite as an onlay bone-graft substitute for maxillofacial surgery. Plast Reconstr Surg 1989;84: 236-44.
- 15 Salyer KE, Taylor DP. Bone grafting in cleft deformity: A craniofacial approach. Aust N Z J Surg 1987;57: 67-76.
- 16 Salyer KE, Taylor DP. Bone grafts in craniofacial surgery. Clin Plast Surg 1987;14: 27-35.
- 17 Salyer KE, Genecov ER, Genecov DG. Unilateral cleft lip-nose repair--long-term outcome. Clin Plast Surg 2004;31:191-208.