Management of cleft lip and palate in adults
15 January 2020 (online)
Introduction: With advancement of medical services in developed countries and awareness among the patients, it is rare to find an adult with an unoperated cleft lip and palate. However, the scenario is totally different in developing countries. Working as a part of a team in developing country, where co-coordinated team work is primitive, resources to provide treatment are very thin, public awareness of availability of treatment for this anomaly is minimal, the age of patients reaching for primary treatment varies from few days to late forties. Though the aim and aspiration is to provide holistic multidisciplinary care, the priority is getting treatment for all cleft patients. In such situation, the management of cleft lip and palate demands changes of approach, techniques and philosophy. Aims and Objectives: The deformed anatomy especially the facial bones and dentition is described. Due to well established deformities, the approach for management is individualized. The procedures and modification of procedures has been described. Results and Outcome: The outcome of the primary repair is adults certainly have less than satisfactory outcome for obvious reasons. The expected outcome and expectation of patients and families following primary surgeries in cleft lip and palate has been discussed. Though all adult patients got some improvement in speech after palate repair, achieving normal speech was difficult. The naso-labial appearance was not perfect, but well accepted by the patients and families. There are many psychosocial problems in these patients, the objective evaluation could not be done due to too many variables. However, primary repair of cleft lip and palate is justified and beneficial for the patients.
- 1 Ortiz-Monasterio F, Olmedo A, Trigos I, Yudovich M, Velazquez M, Fuente-del-Campo A. Final Results from the delayed treatment of patients with cleft of the lip and palate. Scan J Plast Reconstr Surg 1974;8:109-15.
- 2 Ortiz-Monasterio F, Serrano R, Barrera GP, Rodriguez-Hoffman H, Vinageras E. A study of Untreated Adult Cleft Patients. Plas Recon Surg 1966;38:37-41.
- 3 Shetye P. Facial Growth of adults with unoperated clefts. Clin Plastc Surg 2004;31:361-71.
- 4 Sommerlad B. A Technique for Cleft Palate Repair. Plast Reconstr Surg 2003;112:1542-8.
- 5 Hobbs J. The adult patient. Clin Commun Disord 1991 Fall;1: 48-52.
- 6 Landis P, Cuc T. Articulation patterns and speech intelligibility of 54 Vietnamese Children with unoperated oral cleft: Clinical observation and impressions. Cleft Palate Journal 1972;12: 234-43.
- 7 Agrawal K. A Lip Guard to Protect Repaired Unilateral Cleft Lip in Adults. Plast Reconstr Surg 1993;91:1163-5.
- 8 King BG 3rd, Workman CH 3rd, Latham RA. An anatomical study of the columella and protruding premaxilla in bilateral cleft lip and palate infant. Cleft Palate J 1979;16:223-9.
- 9 Vagervik K. Growth characteristics of the premaxilla and orthodontic treatment principles in bilateral cleft lip and palate. Cleft Palate J 1983;20:289.
- 10 Wallace AF. The problem of the premaxilla in bilateral clefts. Br J Plast Surg 1963;16:32-6.
- 11 Padwa BL, Sonis A, Baghei S, Mulliken JB. Children with repaired bilateral cleft lip/palate: Effect of age at premaxillary osteotomy on facial growth. Plast Reconstr Surg 1999;104:1261-9.
- 12 Freihofer HP, van Damme PA, Kuijpers-Jagtman AM. Early secondary osteotomy OE stabilization of the in bilateral clefts. J Craniomaxillofac Surg 1991;19:2-6.
- 13 Friede H, Pruzansky S. Long term effects of premaxillary setback on facial skeletal profile in complete bilateral cleft lip and palate. Cleft Palate J 1985;22:97-105.
- 14 Narayanan RK, Hussain SA, Murukesan S, Murthy J. Synchronous Palatal Closure and Premaxillary Setback in Older Children with Bilateral Complete Cleft of Lip and Palate. Plas and Recon Surg 2006;117:527-31.
- 15 Mulliken JB. Primary repair of bilateral cleft lip and nasal deformity. Plast Reconstr Surg 2001;108:181-94.
- 16 Noordhoff SM, Chen P. Unilateral Cheiloplasty: Plastic Surgery. 2nd ed. Saunders Elsevier; 2006.
- 17 Personal communication with Dr. Mukund Reddy, Nizam Institute of Medical Sciences, Hyderabad, India.
- 18 Akinbami BO. Psychological effects of speech disorders in an adult patient with untreated cleft palate. Niger J Med 2007;16: 381-3.
- 19 Hobbs J. The adult patient. Clin Commun Disord 1991 Fall;1: 48-52.
- 20 Ramana YV, Nanda V, Biswas G, Chittoria R, Ghosh S, Sharma RK. Audiological Profile in Older Children and Adolescents With Unrepaired Cleft Palate. Cleft Palate Craniofac J 2005;42:570–3.