Alveolar bone grafting
15 January 2020 (online)
In patients with cleft lip and palate, bone grafting in the mixed dentition in the residual alveolar cleft has become a well-established procedure. The main advantages can be summarised as follows: stabilisation of the maxillary arch; facilitation of eruption of the canine and sometimes facilitation of the lateral incisor eruption; providing bony support to the teeth adjacent to the cleft; raising the alar base of the nose; facilitation of closure of an oro-nasal fistula; making it possible to insert a titanium fixture in the grafted site and to obtain favourable periodontal conditions of the teeth within and adjacent to the cleft. The timing of the ABG surgery take into consideration not only eruption of the canine but also that of the lateral incisor, if present. The best time for bone grafting surgery is when a thin shell of bone still covers the soon erupting lateral incisor or canine tooth close to the cleft.
- 1 Nordin KE, Johansson B. Freir Knochentranplantation bei Defekten im Alveolarkamm nach Kieferorthopädischer Einstellung der Maxilla bei Lippen-Kiefer-Gaumenspalten. In: Fortschritte der Kiefer-und Gesichts-Chirurgie. Stuttgart: Georg Thieme Verlag; 1955. p. 168-71.
- 2 Skoog T. A double-layered periosteal flap repair of cleft of the primary palate. J Am Med Women•s Assoc1966;21:1001-5.
- 3 Friede H, Johanson B. A follow-up study of cleft children treated with primary bone grafting. I. Orthodontic aspects. Scand J Plast Reconstr Surg 1974;8:88-103.
- 4 Friede H, Lilja J. Dentofacial morphology in adolescent or early adult patients with cleft lip and palate after a treatment regimen that included vomer flap surgery and push back palatal repair. Scand J Plast Reconstr Surg 1994;28:113-21.
- 5 Friede H. The vomero-premaxillary suture- A neglected growth site in mid-facial development of unilateral cleft lip and palate patients. Cleft Palate J 1978;15:398-404.
- 6 Albrektsson T. Healing of bone grafts. In vivo studies of tissue reactions at auto grafting of bone in the rabbit tibia. Thesis. Gothenburg: 1979.
- 7 Lilja J, Friede H, Lauritzen C, Petterson LE, Johanson B. Bone grafting at the stage of mixed dentition in cleft lip and palate patients. Scand J Plast Reconstr Surg 1987;21:73-9.
- 8 Lilja J, Kalaaji A, Friede H, Elander A. Combined bone grafting and delayed closure of the hard palate in cleft lip and palate patients. Cleft Palate Craniofac J 2000;37:98-105.
- 9 Breine U, Johanson B. Tibia as donor area of bone grafts in infants. Influence on the longitudinal growth. Acta Chir Scand 1966;131:230-5.