Repair of bilateral cleft lip and its variants
15 January 2020 (online)
The surgeon who lifts a scalpel to repair a bilateral cleft lip and nasal deformity is accountable for: 1) precise craftsmanship based on three-dimensional features and four-dimensional changes; 2) periodic assessment throughout the child's growth; and 3) technical modifications during primary closure based on knowledge gained from long-term follow-up evaluation. These children should not have to endure the stares prompted by nasolabial stigmata that result from outdated concepts and technical misadventures. The principles for repair of bilateral complete cleft lip have evolved to such a level that the child's appearance should be equivalent to, or surpass, that of a unilateral complete cleft lip. These same principles also apply to the repair of the variants of bilateral cleft lip, although strategies and execution differ slightly.
- 1 Mulliken JB. The changing faces of children with cleft lip and palate. N Eng J Med 2004;351:743-37.
- 2 Mulliken JB. Principles and techniques of bilateral complete cleft lip repair. Plast Reconstr Surg 1985;75:477-86.
- 3 Mulliken JB. Correction of the bilateral cleft lip nasal deformity: Evolution of a surgical concept. Cleft Palate Craniofac J 1992;29:540-5.
- 4 Mulliken JB. Bilateral complete cleft lip and nasal deformity: An anthropometric analysis of staged to synchronous repair. Plast Reconstr Surg 1995;96:9-23.
- 5 Farkas LG, Posnick JC, Hreczko TM, Pron GE. Growth patterns of the nasolabial region: A morphometric study. Cleft Palate-Craniofac J 1992;29:318-24.
- 6 Khandekar B, Srinivasan S, Mokal N, Thatte MR. Anthropometric analysis of lip-nose complex in Indian population. Indian J Plast Surg 2005;38:128-31.
- 7 Mulliken JB. Primary repair of bilateral cleft lip and nasal deformity. Plast Reconstr Surg 2001;108:181-94.
- 8 Cutting C, Grayson B, Brecht L, Santiago P, Wood R, Kwon S. Presurgical columellar elongation and primary retrograde nasal reconstruction in one-stage bilateral cleft lip and nose repair. Plast Reconstr Surg 1998;101:630-9.
- 9 Grayson BH, Santiago PE, Brecht LE, Cutting CB. Presurgical nasoalveolar molding in infants with cleft lip and palate. Cleft Palate-Craniofac J 1999;36:486-98.
- 10 Bennun RD, Figueroa AA. Dynamic presurgical nasal remodeling in patients with unilateral and bilateral cleft lip and palate: Modification to the original technique. Cleft Palate-Craniofac J 2000;43:639-48.
- 11 Millard DR Jr, Latham RA. Improved primary surgical and dental treatment of clefts. Plast Reconstr Surg 1990;86:856-71.
- 12 Narayanan RK, Hussain SA, Murukesan S, Murthy J. Synchronous palatal closure and premaxillary setback in older children with bilateral complete cleft of lip and palate. Plast Reconstr Surg 2006;117:527-31.
- 13 Good PM, Mulliken JB, Padwa BL. Frequency of Le Fort I osteotomy after repaired cleft lip and palate or cleft palate Cleft Palate-Craniofac J 2007;44:396-401.
- 14 Yuzuriha S, Oh AK, Mulliken JB. Asymmetrical bilateral cleft lip: Complete or incomplete and contralateral lesser defect (minor-form, microform, or mini-microform). Plast Reconstr Surg 2008;122:1494-504.
- 15 Mulliken JB, Burvin R, Farkas LG. Repair of bilateral complete cleft lip: Intraoperative nasolabial anthropometry. Plast Reconstr Surg 2001;107:307-14.
- 16 Wong GB, Burvin R, Mulliken JB. Resorbable internal splint: An adjunct to primary correction of unilateral cleft lip nasal deformity. Plast Reconstr Surg 2002;110:385-91.
- 17 Mulliken JB, Burvin R, Padwa BL. Binderoid complete cleft lip/palate. Plast Reconstr Surg 2003;111:1000-10.
- 18 Yuzuriha S, Mulliken JB. Minor-form, microform, and mini-microform cleft lip: Anatomical features, operative techniques, and revisions. Plast Reconstr Surg 2008;122:1485-93.
- 19 Mulliken JB. Unilimb z-plastic repair of microform cleft lip. Plast Reconstr Surg 2005;116:1623-32.
- 20 Mulliken JB, Wu JK, Padwa BL. Repair of bilateral cleft lip: Review, revisions, and reflections. J Craniofac Surg 2003;14:609-20.
- 21 Farkas LG, Lindsay WK. Morphology of the adult face following repair of bilateral cleft lip and palate in childhood. Plast Reconstr Surg 1971;47:24-32.
- 22 Farkas LG, editor. Anthropometry of the Head and Face. 2nd ed. New York: Raven Press, 1994.
- 23 Kohout MP, Monasterio Aljaro L, Farkas LG, Mulliken JB. Photogrammetric comparison of two methods for synchronous repair of bilateral cleft lip and nasal deformity. Plast Reconstr Surg 1998;102:139-49.
- 24 Weinberg SM, Nadoo AT, Govier DP, Martin RA, Kane AA, Marazita ML. Anthropometric precision and accuracy of digital three-dimensional photogrammetry. Comparing the Genex and 3dMD imaging systems with one another and with direct anthropometry. J Craniofac Surg 2006;17:477-83.
- 25 Wong JY, Oh AK, Hunt AT, Rogers GF, Mulliken JB, et al. Validity and reliability of craniofacial anthropometric measurements of 3D digital photogrammetric images. Cleft Palate Craniofac J 2008;45:232-9.