Use of a hypogastric flap and split-thickness skin grafting for a degloving injury of the penis and scrotum: A different approach
15 January 2020 (online)
Penile and scrotal skin avulsions are not common events and are caused usually by accidents with industrial machines or agricultural machines. We report a case of a 27-year-old newly married thin-built patient with avulsion and traumatic degloving of the penile and scrotal skin, with exposure of the corpora cavernosa and copus spongiosum of penis and testes as his loose clothes got entangled in a paddy harvesting machine accidently. Reconstruction was performed using a hypogastric flap and split skin graft, achieving a satisfactory aesthetic result and sexual functions.
- 1 Gencosmanoglu R, Bilkay U, Alper M, Gurler T, Cagdas A. Late results of spilt-graft penoscrotal avulsion injuries. J Trauma 1995;39:1201-3.
- 2 Finical SJ, Arnold PG. Care of the degloved penis and scrotum: A 25-year experience. Plast Reconstr Surge 1999;104:2074-8.
- 3 Paraskevas KI, Anagnostou D, Bouris C. An extensive traumatic degloving lesion of the penis: A case report and review of the literature. Int Urol Nephrol2003;35:523-7.
- 4 Jeffey D. Friedman reconstruction of the perinium in Grabb and Smith's plastic surgery. 6th ed. p. 713.
- 5 Kwon EO, Pareek G, Fracchia JA, Armenakas NA. Scrotal reconstruction using rapid intraoperative tissue expansion: a preliminary report. J Urol 2008;179:207-9.
- 6 Wang D, Zheng H, Deng F. Spermatogenesis after scrotal reconstruction. Br J Plast Surg 2003;56:484-8.
- 7 Wang DL, Wang YM, Zheng H, Feng J, Fu SN, Gao ZY, et al. An experiment study and clinical observation of the testicle spermatogenesis after scrotum reconstruction. [Article in Chinese]. Zhonghua Zheng Xing Wai Ke Za Zhi 2004;20:203-5.
- 8 Gudaviciene D, Milonas D. Scrotal reconstruction using thigh pedicle flaps after scrotal skin avulsion. Ural Int 2008;81:122-4.
- 9 McAninch JW. Management of genital skin loss. Urol Clin North Am 1989 May; ;16:387-97.