Successful management of free osteocutaneous fibula flap with anomalous vascularity of the skin paddle
15 January 2020 (online)
The free osteocutaneous fibula flap is an established method of reconstruction of maxillary and mandibular defects. The vascularity of the skeletal and the cutaneous components is provided by the peroneal artery via the nutrient artery and the septo- and musculocutaneous perforators. In rare situations, these perforators may arise from other major leg arteries. In such circumstances, the procedure has to be either abandoned or modified so that neither the vascularity of the flap nor the donor limb is compromised. We present a case of an anomalous musculocutaneous perforator, which originated from the proximal part of the posterior tibial artery, passed through the soleus muscle and supplied the skin paddle. The flap was elevated as a single composite unit and was managed by two separate vascular anastomosis at the recipient site, one for the peroneal vessels and the other for the anomalous perforator.
- 1 Taylor GI, Miller DH, Ham FJ. The free vascularized bone graft: a clinical extension of microvascular techniques. Plast Reconstr Surg 1975;55:533-44.
- 2 Hidalgo DA. Fibula free flap: A new method of mandible reconstruction. Plast Reconstr Surg 1989;84:71-9.
- 3 Jones NF, Monstrey S, Gambier BA. Reliability of the fibula osteocutaneous flap for mandibular reconstruction: anatomical and surgical confirmation. Plast Reconstr Surg 1996;97:707-16.
- 4 Wei FC, Chen HC, Chuang CC, Noordhoff MS. Fibula osteoseptocutaneous flap: Anatomic study and clinical application. Plast Reconstr Surg 1986;78:191-200.
- 5 Kawamura K, Yajima H, Kobata Y, Shigematsu K, Takakura Y. Clinical applications of free soleus and peroneal perforator flaps. Plast Reconstr Surg 2005;115:114-9.
- 6 Tan BK, Wong CH. An anomalous septocutaneous perforator to the skin paddle of the fibula osteocutaneous flap originating from the posterior tibial artery. J Plast Reconstr Aesthet Surg 2009;62:690-2.
- 7 Wong CH, Tan BK, Wei FC, Song C. Use of the soleus musculocutaneous perforator for skin paddle salvage of the fibula osteoseptocutaneous flap: Anatomical study and clinical information. Plast Reconstr Surg 2007;120:1576-84.
- 8 Winters HA, de Jongh GJ. Reliability of the proximal skin paddle of the osteocutaneous free fibula flap: A prospective clinical study. Plast Recostr Surg 1999;103:846-9.
- 9 Kelly AM, Cronin P, Hussain HK, Londy FJ, Chepeha DB, Carlos RC. Preoperative MR angiography in free fibula transfer for head and neck cancer: Clinical application and influence on surgical decision making. AJR AM J Roentgenol 2007;188:268-74.
- 10 Yokoo S, Komori T, Furudoi S, Umeda M, Nomura T, Tahara S. Rare variants of the intra soleus musculocutaneous perforator: Clinical consideration in rising a free peroneal osteocutaneous flap. J Reconstr Microsurg 2001;17:225-8.
- 11 Weber RA, Pederson WC. Skin paddle salvage in the fibula osteocutaneous free flap with secondary skin paddle vascular anastomosis. J Reconstr Microsurg 1995;11:239-41.