The steroid benefit in treating complicated haemangioma
15 January 2020 (online)
The clinical study included 30 patients with complicated cutaneous haemangioma (ulceration, bleeding, obstruction of anatomical orifices, and interference with function or movement). The patients were studied regarding the age group, sex, site of lesion, size of lesion, and the percentage of regression after treatment with steroid.
The age ranged from three months to six years, there were 20 female patients and 10 male patients. We used local injection of diluted triamcinolone 4 mg with 5 ml. 0.9% NACI (normal saline), injected through 23-guage syringe under local or general anaesthesia every two weeks for six to eight sessions depending on the severity of the case, followed by a local pressure dressing. We measured the size of the lesion before each session and recorded the regression of the lesion. The patients were followed up for two years. Haemangioma commonly presents in infants and children, most commonly in females, especially in the head and neck and are usually of a small size. It regresses if the treatment is started earlier.
- 1 Akyuz C. Management of cutaneous hemangioma. Pediatr Hematol Oncol 2001;18:47-55.
- 2 Sadan N. Treatment of infants with high doses of prenisolone. J Pediatr 1996;128:141-6.
- 3 Winter H, Dräger E, Sterry W. Sclerotherapy in treatment of hemangioma. Dermatol Surg 2000;26:105-8.
- 4 Leatue Labreze C. Sever hemangioma. Ann Dermatol Venreal 1998;125:174-8.
- 5 Park EA. Infantile hemangioma. J Korean Med Sci 2001;16: 127-9.
- 6 Mokni M. Pyoderma gangrenous. Hosp Pract 2001;36:40-4.
- 7 Egbert JE. High injection pressure in capillary hemangioma. Arch Ophthalmol 2001;119:677-83.
- 8 Buyukpamukeu M. Cutaneous hemangioma. Pediatr Hematol Oncol 2000;16:33-6.
- 9 Garzon M. Hemangioma update on classification. Cutis 2000;66:325-83.
- 10 Bennaceur S. Mucocutaneous hemangioma in children. Rev Stomatol Chir Maxillofac 2000;101:17.
- 11 Mulkin, Glowacki. Hemangioma and vascular malformation of the head and neck. 1989;34:156-98.
- 12 Boutros S. Hemangioma of the face. Perspect Plast Surg 2000;14:45.