Angiosarcoma of the scalp
15 January 2020 (online)
Angiosarcoma is a relatively rare soft tissue tumour. It usually occurs in the head and neck, and especially in the scalp, in elderly people. Its presentation varies from a small plaque to multifocal nodules. The treatment depends on the extent of the disease. Most cases are treated with wide excision with reconstruction. Radiotherapy and chemotherapy are advocated in the recurrent or extensive lesions with regional or distant metastasis. Other modalities such as immunomodulation have been tried. A case of a 55-year-old female patient with a bleeding scalp lesion is presented. Initially thought to be a pyogenic granuloma, on excisional biopsy it was diagnosed as angiosarcoma with microscopic involvement of the margins. Wide excision with reconstruction using a local rotation flap was done at a second stage. The patient was not given postoperative radiotherapy or chemotherapy. There has been no recurrence for two years.
- 1 Aust MR, Oslen KD, Lewis JE, Nasciomento AG, Meland NB, Foote RL, et al. Angoisarcoma of the head and neck, clinical and pathological characteristics. Ann Otol Rhinol Laryngol 1997;106:943-51.
- 2 Billings SD, McKenney JK, Folpe AL, Handvane MC, Weiss SW. Cutaneous angiosarcoma following breast conserving surgery and radiation: An analysis of 27 cases. Ann J Surg Pathol 2004;28:781-8.
- 3 Brenn T, Fletcheer CD. Radiation associated atypical vascular lesions and angiosarcoma: Clinicopathological analysis of 42 cases. Am J Surg Pathol 2005;29:983-96.
- 4 Fata F, O'Reilly E, Rison D, Fister DP, Laffel D, Keisen DP, et al. Placlitaxel in the treatment of patients with angiosarcoma of the scalp or face. Cancer 1999;86:10.
- 5 Holden CA, Spittle MF, Jones EW. Angiosarcoma of face and scalp prognosis and treatment. Cancer 1987;59:1046-57.
- 6 Lydatt WM, Shah AF, Shah JP. Angiosarcoma of the head and neck. Am J Surg 1994;168:451-4.
- 7 Maddox JL, Evans HL. Angiosarcoma of skin and soft tissue: A study of forty-four cases. Cancer 1981;48:1907-21.
- 8 Obeng MK, Henandez A, Dastgir A, Adegboyega P, Salinas P, Gore DD. Angiosarcoma of the scalp with calvarium involvement in a 50 year old African-American man. J Nat Med Assoc 2004;96:1507-12.
- 9 Morrison WH, Evans HL, Ang KK, Peter LJ. Cutaneous angiosarcoma of the head and neck: A therapeutic dilemma. Cancer 1995;76:319-27.
- 10 Nakamura R, Hanada S, Obara T, Ehava S, Yoshida A, Akasaka T, et al. Iridium-192 brachytherapy for haemorrhagic angiosarcoma of the scalp: A case report. Jpn J Clin Oncol 2003;33:198.
- 11 Paulik TM, Paulino A, Mcginn CJ, Baker LH, Cohen DS, Morris JS, et al. Cutaneous angiosarcoma of the scalp: A multidisciplinary approach. Cancer 2003:98:8.
- 12 Knight TE, Robinson HM Jr, Sina B. Angiosarcoma (Angioendothelioma) of the scalp: An unusual case of scarring Alopecia. Arch Dermatol 1980116:683-6.
- 13 Ulrich L, Krause M, Brachmann A, Franke I, Golliansk H. Successful treatment of angiosarcoma of the scalp by intralesional cytokine therapy and surface irradiation. J Eur Acad Dermatol Venereol 2000;14:412-5.
- 14 Sondak VK, Recs R, Paulik T, Baker L Emedicine Skin: Angiosarcoma: Surgical and nonsurgical treatment. Medscape OE http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/1296442-overview .
- 15 Wollina U, Fuller J, Graefe T, Karatz M, Lopatta E. Angiosarcoma of the scalp: Treatment with liposomal doxorubicin and radiotherapy. J Cancer Res Clin Oncol 2001;127:396-9.