Free tissue transfer for trophic ulcer complicating leprosy
15 January 2020 (online)
Plantar ulceration is the commonest disability in leprosy and occurs in about 10 to 20% of leprosy patients. Various loco-regional flaps have been described for reconstruction of trophic ulcers; however, very large defects are not amenable to local flaps and free flaps form one of the important treatment options. We present a case of a post Hansen's trophic ulcer over the forefoot managed using a radial artery forearm free flap. Debridement of the osteomyelitic bone, removal of the bony prominences, coverage by a well-vascularised tissue, end-to-side arterial anastomosis, use of anterior tibial as the recipient vessel and good postoperative compliance in foot care on the part of the patient gave us good results.
- 1 Price EW. The problem of plantar ulcer. Lepr Rev 1964;35: 267-72.
- 2 Fritschi EP. Ulcers of the foot and their sequelae. In: Surgical reconstruction and rehabilitation in leprosy. 2nd ed. New Delhi: The Leprosy Mission; 1984. p. 182-226.
- 3 Prakash, Vishwa. Flaps that should not be used in plantar ulcer in leprosy. Plast Reconstr Surg 1999;103:333-4.
- 4 Gahalaut P, Pinto J, Pai G, Kamath J, Joshua TV. A novel treatment for plantar ulcers in leprosy: Local superficial flaps. Lepr Rev 2005;76:220-31.
- 5 Reiffel RS. Plantar artery-skin-fascia flap. In: Strauch B, Vasconez LO, Hall-Findlay EJ, editors. Grabbs encyclopedia of flaps. Vol 3. 2nd ed. Philadelphia: Lippincott-Raven; 1998. p. 1843-7.
- 6 Martin D, Gorowitz B, Peres JM, Baudet J. Medial plantar flap. In: Strauch B, Vasconez LO, Hall-Findlay EJ, editors. Grabbs encyclopedia of flaps. Vol 3. 2nd ed. Philadelphia: Lippincott-Raven; 1998. p. 1848-50.
- 7 Gravem PE, Role of flaps and skin grafts in the management of neuropathic plantar ulcers. In: Schwartz R, Bradsman W, editors. Surgical reconstruction and rehabilitation in leprosy and other neuropathies. Kathmandu: Ekta Books Distributors Pvt Ltd; 2004. p. 227-36.
- 8 Searles J, Colen L. Foot reconstruction in diabetes mellitus and peripheral vascular insufficiency. Clin Plast Surg 1991;18:467-83.
- 9 Sauer PF. Blood Supply of the lower extremity. Clin Plast Surg 1991;18:553-7.