Delayed buccal fat pad herniation: An unusual complication of buccal flap in cleft surgery
15 January 2020 (online)
Buccal musculomucosal flap is commonly used in cleft palate surgery for providing additional lining when nasal mucosa is inadequate. We report an unusual complication of progressively increasing fat herniation from the sutured donor site which started appearing on the third postoperative day. This necessitated excision of the protruding fat pad on the seventh postoperative day. The possible mechanism and precautions for prevention of this complication are discussed.
- 1 Mukherji MM. Cheek flap for soft palates. Cleft Palate J 1969;6:415-20.
- 2 Ganguli AC. Lengthening the short palate by submucous pedicle cheek flap. Presented at the 5th Annual Meeting of the International Plastic and Reconstructive Surgeons: Melbourne. Australia: 1971.
- 3 Kaplan EN. Soft palate repair by levator muscle reconstruction and a buccal mucosal flap. Plast Reconstr Surg 1975;56:129-36.
- 4 Maeda K, Ojimi H, Utsugi R, Ando S. A T-Shape musculomucosal buccal flap method for cleft palate surgery. Plast Reconstr Surg 1987;79:888-96.
- 5 Jagannathan M, Dixit V. Palatal lengthening following use of buccal myomucosal flap in primary palatoplasty-real or apparent? A study of physical variables. Eur J Plast Surg 2004;26:414-8.
- 6 Jackson IT, Moreira-Gonzalez AA, Barbara J. The buccal flap: A useful technique in cleft palate repair. Cleft Palate J 2004;41:144-51.
- 7 Guan FU, Zhong LP. A bilateral musculomucosal buccal flap method for cleft palate surgey. J Oral maxilloac Surg 2003;61:1399-404.
- 8 Freedlander E, Jackson IT. The fate of buccal mucosal flaps in primary palatal repair. Cleft Palate J 1989;26:110-2.
- 9 Jackson IT, Mclennan G, Scheker LR. Primary veloplasty or primary palatoplasty: Some preliminary findings. Plast Reconstr Surg 1983;72:153-7.
- 10 Dubin B, Jackson IT, Halim A, Tripplett WW, Ferriera M. Anatomy of the buccal fat pad and its clinical significance. Plast Reconstr Surg 1988;83:257-64.