Microsurgical reconstruction of the breast: ′The versatile lower abdomen′
15 January 2020 (online)
Since the first reported use of lower abdominal tissue from the lower abdominal skin and fat by Hans Holmstrom in 1979, there have been over 300 publications on this subject. The refinements have been aimed at the limitation of donor morbidity and to allow a predictable success of the transfer. This article analyses the landmarks and highlights the key developments in this area. The more recent development in this area - the Deep Inferior Epigastric Perforator flap is discussed.
- 1 Jamison KR. Wellisch DK. Pasnau RO. Psychological aspects of mastectomy; Women′s perspective. Am J Psychiatry 1978; 135: 432-6
- 2 Ray C. Psychological implications of mastectomy. Br J Soc Clin Psychol 1977; 16: 373-7
- 3 Poivy J. Psychological effects of mastectomy on a womans feminine self concept. J Nervous Mental Disorders 1977; 164: 77-87
- 4 Maguire GP. Lee EG. Bevington DJ. Kucherman SC. et al. Psychiatric problems in the first year after mastectomy. Br J Med 1978; 1: 963-5
- 5 Morris T. Greer SH. White P. Psychological and social adjustment to mastectomy. Cancer 1977; 40: 2381-7
- 6 Serafin D. Geargiade NG. Given KS. Transfer of ree flaps to provide well vascularised, thick cover for breast reconstructions after radical mastectomy. Plast Reconstr Surg 1978; 62: 527-35
- 7 Spear LS. Beckenstein M. TRAM flaps with implants Surgery of the Breast. 1998. Lippincott-Raven: Philadelphia; 585-94
- 8 Holmstrom H. The free abdominoplasty flap and its use in breast reconstruction. Scand J Plast Reconstr Surg 1979;13:423-9.
- 9 Hartampf CR Jr, Scheflan M, Black PW. Breast reconstruction with a transverse abdominal island flap. Plast Reconstr Surg 1982; 69:216-21.
- 10 Hartrampf CR Jr, Benett GK. Autogenous tissue reconstruction in the mastectomy patient. A critical review of 300 patients. Ann Surg 1987;205:508-14.
- 11 Taylor GI. Corlett RJ. Boyd JB. The versatile deep inferior epigastric flap. Br J Plasr Surg 1984; 37: 330-50
- 12 Carramenhae MACosta. Carriquiry C. Vasconez LO. An anatomical study of the venous drainage of transverse rectus abdominis musculo cutaneous flaps. Plast Reconstr Surg 1987; 79: 208
- 13 Grotting JC. Urist MM. Maddox WA. Vasconez LO. Conventional TRAM flap versus free microsurgical TRAM flap for immediate breast reconstruction. Plast Reconstr Surg 1989; 83: 828-97
- 14 Feller AM. Free TRAM. Results and abdominal wall function. Clin Plast Surg 1994; 21: 223-38
- 15 Shusterman MA. Kroll SS. Miller MJ. The free transverse rectus abdominis flap for breast reconstruction-one center′s experience with 211 consecutive cases. Ann Plast Surg 1994; 32: 234-45
- 16 Koshima I. Soeda S. Inferior epigastric artery skin flaps without rectus abdominis muscle. Br J Plast Surg 1989; 42: 645-8
- 17 Allen RJ. Treece P. Deep inferior epigastric perforator flap for breast reconstruction. Ann Plast Surg 1994; 32: 32-8
- 18 Blondeel N. Vanderstraeten GG. Monstrey SJ. Van KLanduyt. The donor site morbidity of free DIEP flaps and free TRAM flaps for breast reconstruction. Br J Plast Surg 1997; 50: 322-30