Subscribe to RSS
Application of Cervical Vestibular-Evoked Myogenic Potentials in Adults with Moderate to Profound Sensorineural Hearing Loss: A Preliminary Study
03 February 2019
27 July 2019
09 January 2020 (online)
Introduction The cochlea and the vestibular receptors are closely related in terms of anatomy and phylogeny. Patients with moderate to profound sensorineural hearing loss (MPSHL) should have their vestibular organ functions tested.
Objective To evaluate the incidence of vestibular abnormalities in patients with MPSHL and to study the correlation between the etiology of hearing loss (HL) and a possible damage to the labyrinth.
Methods A case-control retrospective study was performed. In the case group, 20 adults with MPSHL of known etiology were included. The control group was composed of 15 adults with normal hearing. The case group was divided into 4 subgroups based on the etiology (bacterial meningitis, virus, vascular disease, congenital). Cervical vestibular-evoked myogenic potentials (cVEMPs) were used to rate the saccular function and lower vestibular nerve.
Results The study was performed in 70 ears, and it highlighted the presence of early biphasic P1-N1 complex in 29 (71.5%) out of 40 ears in the study group, and in all of the 30 ears in the control group (p = 0.001). Regarding the presence or absence of cVEMPs among the four subgroups of patients with MPSHL, the data were statistically significant (p < 0.001). The comparison between the latencies and amplitude of P1-N1 in case and control groups from other studies and in the four subgroups of cases in the present study did not detect statistically significant differences.
Conclusion The present study demonstrates that patients with MPSHL have a high incidence of damage to the labyrinthine organs, and it increases the current knowledge about the etiopathogenesis of sensorineural HL, which is often of unknown nature.
Informed consent was obtained from every participant included in the study.
- 1 Singh S, Gupta RK, Kumar P. Vestibular evoked myogenic potentials in children with sensorineural hearing loss. Int J Pediatr Otorhinolaryngol 2012; 76 (09) 1308-1311 . Doi: 10.1016/j.ijporl.2012.05.025
- 2 Zhou Y, Wu Y, Wang J. Otolithic organ function in patients with profound sensorineural hearing loss. J Otol 2016; 11 (02) 73-77
- 3 Niu X, Zhang Y, Zhang Q. , et al. The relationship between hearing loss and vestibular dysfunction in patients with sudden sensorineural hearing loss. Acta Otolaryngol 2016; 136 (03) 225-231 . Doi: 10.3109/00016489.2015.1110750
- 4 Toumpas CJ, Clark J, Harris A, Beswick R, Nourse CB. Congenital cytomegalovirus infection is a significant cause of moderate to profound sensorineural hearing loss in Queensland children. J Paediatr Child Health 2015; 51 (05) 541-544 . Doi: 10.1111/jpc.12776
- 5 Gazia F, Abita P, Alberti G. , et al. NICU Infants & SNHL: Experience of a western Sicily tertiary care centre. Acta Med Mediter 2019; 35 (02) 1001-1007
- 6 Galletti B, Mannella VK, Santoro R. , et al. Ear, nose and throat (ENT) involvement in zoonotic diseases: a systematic review. J Infect Dev Ctries 2014; 8 (01) 17-23 . Doi: 10.3855/jidc.4206
- 7 Amorini M, Romeo P, Bruno R. , et al. Prevalence of Deafness-Associated Connexin-26 (GJB2) and Connexin-30 (GJB6) Pathogenic Alleles in a Large Patient Cohort from Eastern Sicily. Ann Hum Genet 2015; 79 (05) 341-349 . Doi: 10.1111/ahg.12120
- 8 Galletti B, Mannella VK, Santoro R. , et al. Malignant external otitis. A case series from an Italian Tertiary-Care Hospital. Acta Med Mediter 2014; 30 (06) 1317-1323
- 9 Freni F, Mannella VK, Cammaroto G, Azielli C, Cappuccio C, Galletti F. Classic and reversal steps stapedotomy performed with CO2 laser: a comparative analysis. Eur Arch Otorhinolaryngol 2014; 271 (05) 981-986 . Doi: 10.1007/s00405-013-2500-6
- 10 Galletti F, Cammaroto G, Galletti B, Quartuccio N, Di Mauro F, Baldari S. Technetium-99m (99mTc)-labelled sulesomab in the management of malignant external otitis: is there any role?. Eur Arch Otorhinolaryngol 2015; 272 (06) 1377-1382 . Doi: 10.1007/s00405-014-2938-1
- 11 Trovato MC, Ruggeri RM, Guzzo E. , et al. Expression of P53 and isoforms in bening and malignant lesions of the head and neck. Histol Histopathol 2017; 32 (04) 371-377 . Doi: 10.14670/HH-11-802
- 12 Karanja BW, Oburra HO, Masinde P, Wamalwa D. Risk factors for hearing loss in children following bacterial meningitis in a tertiary referral hospital. Int J Otolaryngol 2013; 2013: 354725
- 13 Cohen BE, Durstenfeld A, Roehm PC. Viral causes of hearing loss: a review for hearing health professionals. Trends Hear 2014; 18: 2331216514541361 . Doi: 10.1177/2331216514541361
- 14 Funamura JL. Evaluation and management of nonsyndromic congenital hearing loss. Curr Opin Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 2017; 25 (05) 385-389 . Doi: 10.1097/MOO.0000000000000398
- 15 Marcucci R, Alessandrello Liotta A, Cellai AP. , et al. Cardiovascular and thrombophilic risk factors for idiopathic sudden sensorineural hearing loss. J Thromb Haemost 2005; 3 (05) 929-934
- 16 Passamonti SM, Di Berardino F, Bucciarelli P. , et al. Risk factors for idiopathic sudden sensorineural hearing loss and their association with clinical outcome. Thromb Res 2015; 135 (03) 508-512 . Doi: 10.1016/j.thromres.2015.01.001
- 17 Murofushi T. Clinical application of vestibular evoked myogenic potential (VEMP). Auris Nasus Larynx 2016; 43 (04) 367-376
- 18 Papathanasiou ES, Murofushi T, Akin FW, Colebatch JG. International guidelines for the clinical application of cervical vestibular evoked myogenic potentials: an expert consensus report. Clin Neurophysiol 2014; 125 (04) 658-666
- 19 Colebatch JG, Halmagyi GM, Skuse NF. Myogenic potentials generated by a click-evoked vestibulocollic reflex. J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry 1994; 57 (02) 190-197
- 20 Colebatch JG, Halmagyi GM. Vestibular evoked potentials in human neck muscles before and after unilateral vestibular deafferentation. Neurology 1992; 42 (08) 1635-1636
- 21 Galletti B, Gazia F, Freni F, Nicita RA, Bruno R, Galletti F. Chronic Otitis Media Associated with Cholesteatoma in a Case of the Say-Barber-Biesecker-Young-Simpson Variant of Ohdo Syndrome. Am J Case Rep 2019; 20: 175-178
- 22 Ciodaro F, Mannella VK, Nicita RA. , et al. Therapeutic efficacy of the Galletti-Contrino manoeuvre for benign paroxysmal positional vertigo of vertical semicircular canals in overweight subjects. Eur Arch Otorhinolaryngol 2018; 275 (10) 2449-2455 . Doi: 10.1007/s00405-018-5086-1
- 23 Catalano N, Cammaroto G, Galletti B. , et al. The role of cVEMPs and vHIT in the evaluation of otosclerosis and its eventual vestibular impairment: preliminary findings. B-ENT 2017; 13 (01) (Suppl. 27) 31-36
- 24 Xu XD, Zhang Q, Hu J. , et al. The hidden loss of otolithic function in children with profound sensorineural hearing loss. Int J Pediatr Otorhinolaryngol 2015; 79 (06) 852-857 . Doi: 10.1016/j.ijporl.2015.03.017
- 25 Xu XD, Ding CR, Yu J. , et al. The hidden dysfunction of otolithic organs in patients with profound sensorineural hearing loss. Hear Res 2016; 331: 41-46 . Doi: 10.1016/j.heares.2015.10.006
- 26 Xu XD, Zhang XT, Zhang Q, Hu J, Chen YF, Xu M. Ocular and cervical vestibular-evoked myogenic potentials in children with cochlear implant. Clin Neurophysiol 2015; 126 (08) 1624-1631 . Doi: 10.1016/j.clinph.2014.10.216
- 27 Mento C, Galletti F, Freni F. , et al. The role of temperament in traumatic hearing loss: a single case study of a cochlear-implanted patient. Int J Adolesc Med Health 2016; 28 (01) 107-113 . Doi: 10.1515/ijamh-2014-0075
- 28 Tsubota M, Shojaku H, Ishimaru H, Fujisaka M, Watanabe Y. Mumps virus may damage the vestibular nerve as well as the inner ear. Acta Otolaryngol 2008; 128 (06) 644-647 . Doi: 10.1080/00016480701646305
- 29 Kelsell DP, Dunlop J, Stevens HP. , et al. Connexin 26 mutations in hereditary non-syndromic sensorineural deafness. Nature 1997; 387 (6628): 80-83
- 30 Ciodaro F, Freni F, Mannella VK. , et al. Use of 3D Volume Rendering Based on High-Resolution Computed Tomography Temporal Bone in Patients with Cochlear Implants. Am J Case Rep 2019; 20: 184-188
- 31 Leo A, Naro A, Cannavò A. , et al. Could autonomic system assessment be helpful in disorders of consciousness diagnosis? A neurophysiological study. Exp Brain Res 2016; 234 (08) 2189-2199 . Doi: 10.1007/s00221-016-4622-8
- 32 Rizzo G, Milardi D, Bertino S. , et al. The Limbic and Sensorimotor Pathways of the Human Amygdala: A Structural Connectivity Study. Neuroscience 2018; 385: 166-180
- 33 Chillemi G, Calamuneri A, Quartarone A. , et al. Endogenous orientation of visual attention in auditory space. J Adv Res 2019; 18: 95-100
- 34 Portaro S, Naro A, Cacciola A. , et al. Adult-Onset Walking-Upstairs Dystonia. J Clin Neurol 2019; 15 (01) 122-124