Embedded earrings as a result of misuse: Case report
15 January 2020 (online)
Earrings-related complications are mostly caused by piercing. To our knowledge, there is no report regarding embedded earrings without the effect of piercing in the English-language literature. In this report, we describe two cases of embedding of earring pins while wearing but not having resulted from piercing.
- 1 Saleeby ER, Rubin MG, Youshock E, Kleinsmith DM. Embedded foreign bodies presenting as earlobe keloids. J Dermatol Surg Oncol 1984;10:902-4.
- 2 Cockin J, Finan P, Powell M. A problem with ear piercing. Br Med J 2:1631.
- 3 Jay AL (1977) Ear piercing problems. Br Med J 1977;2:574-5.
- 4 Watson D. Repair of the torn earlobe. Facial Plast Surg 2004;20:39-45.
- 5 Folz BJ, Lippert BM, Kuelkens C, Werner JA. Jewelry-induced diseases of the head and neck. Ann Plast Surg 2002;49:264-71.
- 6 Biggar RJ, Haughie GE. Medical problems of ear piercing. NY State J Med 1975;75:1460-2.
- 7 Gibson OB. A problem with ear piercing. Br Med J 1977;1:178.
- 8 Lazaro CD, Jackson RH. Vanishing earrings. Arch Dis Child 1986;61:606-7.