Straight line closure of congenital macrostomia
15 January 2020 (online)
The results of patients operated on by Nepal Cleft Lip and Palate Association (NECLAPA) surgeons for congenital macrostomia were prospectively studied between January 2000 and December 2002. There were four males and three females with a median age of 10 years. Three had an associated branchial arch syndrome. In all patients an overlapping repair of orbicularis oris was done. Six patients had a straight line closure with excellent cosmetic results and one a Z-plasty with a more obvious scar. All had a normal appearing commissure. Overlapping orbicularis repair with straight line skin closure for this rare congenital anomaly is recommended.
- 1 Mansfield OT, Herbert DC. Unilateral transverse facial cleft: A method of surgical closure. Br J Plast Surg 25;1972:29-34.
- 2 Boo-Chai K. The transverse facial clefts: Its repair. Br J Plast Surg 1969;22:119-24.
- 3 Yoshimura Y, Nakajima T, Nakanishi Y. Simple line closure for macrostomia repair. Br J Plast Surg 1992;45:604-5.
- 4 Kawai T, Kurita K, Echiverre NY, et al. Modified technique in surgical correction of congenital macrostomia. Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg 1998;27:178-80.
- 5 Eguchi T, Asato H, Takushima A, Takato T, Harii K. Surgical repair for congenital macrostomia: Vermilion square flap method. Ann Plast Surg 2001;47:629-35.
- 6 Ono I, Tateshita T. New surgical technique for macrostomia repair with two triangular flaps. Plast Recon Surg 2000;105:688-94.
- 7 Kaplan EN. Commissuroplasty and myoplasty for macrostomia. Ann Plast Surg 1981;7:136-44.
- 8 Sugihara H, Ohura T, Ishikawa T, et al. Commissuroplasty for congenital macrostomia. Jpn J Plast reconstr Surg 1985;28:404-12.
- 9 Onizuka T. Treatment of deformities of the mouth corner. Jpn J Plast Reconstr Surg 1965;8:132-7.
- 10 Fukuda O, Takeda H. Advancement of oral commisure in correcting mild macrostomia. Ann Plast Surg 1985;14;205-12.