Two Case Reports of Integrated Management of Antibiotic-Resistant Urinary Tract Infection
17 March 2019
08 July 2019
20 January 2020 (online)
Background Urinary tract infections (UTIs) are frequent in women. Cystitis after intercourse (post-coital cystitis) accounts for 60% of recurrent cases. Most physicians treat recurrent UTIs (R-UTIs) with multiple courses of antibiotics. The high prevalence indicates that this bacteria-oriented approach in the long term is ineffective for many women. A change in clinical behavior regarding use of antibiotics and recognizing the importance of a patient’s self-defense mechanisms are important considerations in combating antimicrobial resistance.
Methods The intervention for each of two women with R-UTI was integrated treatment with a non-conventional and tailor-made homeopathy regimen, addressing multiple levels of disease simultaneously, for the prevention of recurrence as well as for treatment. Assessment of causal attribution of homeopathy treatment effect was carried out using the Modified Naranjo Criteria.
Results Case 1 presented with chronic multi-morbid conditions, including R-UTI which had become multi-drug resistant. With regular homeopathic treatment, her antibiotic use reduced, her diabetic profile improved, and she did not need prophylactic antibiotics. Case 2 suffered from R-UTI with post-coital cystitis and burning sensation, despite following all conventional advice for treatment and prophylaxis. Addition of homeopathy improved her quality of life and prevented relapses. The Modified Naranjo Criteria total score for each patient was +10/13 and +9/13, respectively.
Conclusions Addition of homeopathy can be an effective approach in integrated management of antibiotic-resistant R-UTIs. Controlled research on the topic is thus indicated.
Keywordshomeopathy regimen - antibiotic resistance - drug-resistant UTI - post-coital cystitis - homeopathic prophylaxis
• Urinary tract infections (UTIs) are frequent in women during their lifespan and have a high impact on ambulatory healthcare costs.
• Conventional treatment is with multiple courses of antibiotics.
• The intervention with a non-conventional, tailor-made homeopathy regimen, addressing multiple levels of disease simultaneously, has been found effective in two cases of R-UTI.
• Both patients had progressive relief in symptoms without any aggravation and their drug resistance improved.
- 1 Studd J, Seang LT, Chervenak FA. , eds. Recurrent cystitis after intercourse–why the gynaecologist has a say? In: Current Progress in Obstetrics and Gynaecology. Chapter 6. Mumbai, India: Kothari Medical TreeLife Media; 2014: 54-66
- 2 Baerheim A, Laerum E. Symptomatic lower urinary tract infection induced by cooling of the feet. A controlled experimental trial. Scand J Prim Health Care 1992; 10: 157-160
- 3 Anesi JA, Lautenbach E, Nachamkin I. , et al; CDC Prevention Epicenters Program. Poor clinical outcomes associated with community-onset urinary tract infections due to extended-spectrum cephalosporin-resistant Enterobacteriaceae. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 2018; 39: 1431-1435
- 4 Jacobs J, Fisher P. Polypharmacy, multimorbidity and the value of integrative medicine in public health. Eur J Integr Med 2013; 5: 4-7
- 5 Kaufman G. Polypharmacy in older people: the need for deprescribing. Pract Nurs 2018; 29: 390-396
- 6 World Health Organization. High levels of antibiotic resistance found worldwide, new data shows. Available at: https://www.who.int/mediacentre/news/releases/2018/antibiotic-resistance-found/en/ 2018 . Accessed October 2, 2018
- 7 Bellavite P, Ortolani R, Pontarollo F, Pitari G, Conforti A. Immunology and homeopathy. 5. The rationale of the ‘Simile’. Evid Based Complement Alternat Med 2007; 4: 149-163
- 8 Chand KS, Manchanda RK, Mittal R, Batra S, Banavaliker JN, De I. Homeopathic treatment in addition to standard care in multi drug resistant pulmonary tuberculosis: a randomized, double blind, placebo controlled clinical trial. Homeopathy 2014; 103: 97-107
- 9 Chand SK, Manchanda RK, Batra S, Mittal R. Homeopathy in the treatment of tubercular lymphadenitis (TBLN)--an Indian experience. Homeopathy 2011; 100: 157-167
- 10 Chand KS, Kapoor P. Case reports on integrated management of tubercular disease. Homeopathy 2017; 106: 214-222
- 11 Ustianowski PA. A clinical trial of Staphysagria in postcoital cystitis. Br Homeopath J 1974; 63: 276-277
- 12 Kent JT. Lectures on Homeopathic Philosophy. New Delhi: B. Jain Publishers reprint November; 1983: 260-262