Subscribe to RSS
Cost and Safety Evaluation of Simultaneous Bilateral Total Knee Arthroplasty versus Unilateral Knee[*]Article in several languages: português | English
28 May 2018
21 August 2018
13 December 2019 (online)
Objective To measure the cost of simultaneous total knee arthroplasty, as well as the costs of total and intensive care unit (ICU) length of stay, perioperative complications and need for blood transfusion compared to the costs of unilateral procedure in a referral hospital, in Federal District, Brazil.
Method The present article is a retrospective study analyzing the medical records of patients admitted for unilateral or bilateral total knee arthroplasty, performed between June 2011 and March 2017. Seventy-four medical records were included in the study for evaluation of data such as total cost of the procedure, comorbidities, complications, days of hospitalization, and need for blood transfusion.
Results A significantly higher incidence of deep vein thrombosis (DVT) was found in unilateral procedures. Compared to the other data, no statistically significant differences were found in the relative costs or in the need for blood transfusion.
Conclusion There was no increase in the cost or in complications when comparing the simultaneous bilateral knee joint replacement procedure with the unilateral procedure, which corroborates most of the literature.
Keywordsknee arthroplasty - knee - morbidity - costs and cost analysis - postoperative complications
* Study developed at Ipe-Home, Orthopedic Hospital and Specialized Medicine, Brasília-DF. Brazil.
- 1 Lindberg-Larsen M, Jørgensen CC, Husted H, Kehlet H. Early morbidity after simultaneous and staged bilateral total knee arthroplasty. Knee Surg Sports Traumatol Arthrosc 2015; 23 (03) 831-837
- 2 Panzram B, Bertlich I, Reiner T, Walker T, Hagmann S, Gotterbarm T. Cementless unicompartmental knee replacement allows early return to normal activity. BMC Musculoskelet Disord 2018; 19 (01) 18
- 3 Kurtz SM, Ong KL, Lau E, Bozic KJ. Impact of the economic downturn on total joint replacement demand in the United States: updated projections to 2021. J Bone Joint Surg Am 2014; 96 (08) 624-630
- 4 Bullock DP, Sporer SM, Shirreffs Jr TG. Comparison of simultaneous bilateral with unilateral total knee arthroplasty in terms of perioperative complications. J Bone Joint Surg Am 2003; 85 (10) 1981-1986
- 5 Odum SM, Troyer JL, Kelly MP, Dedini RD, Bozic KJ. A cost-utility analysis comparing the cost-effectiveness of simultaneous and staged bilateral total knee arthroplasty. J Bone Joint Surg Am 2013; 95 (16) 1441-1449
- 6 Ekinci Y, Oner M, Karaman I, Kafadar IH, Mutlu M, Argün M. Comparison of simultaneous bilateral with unilateral total knee arthroplasty. Acta Orthop Traumatol Turc 2014; 48 (02) 127-35. 24747618
- 7 Cahill CW, Schwarzkopf R, Sinha S, Scott RD. Simultaneous bilateral knee arthroplasty in octogenarians: can it be safe and effective?. J Arthroplasty 2014; 29 (05) 998-1000
- 8 Bagsby D, Pierson JL. Functional outcomes of simultaneous bilateral versus unilateral total knee arthroplasty. Orthopedics 2015; 38 (01) e43-e47
- 9 Bohm ER, Molodianovitsh K, Dragan A. , et al. Outcomes of unilateral and bilateral total knee arthroplasty in 238,373 patients. Acta Orthop 2016; 87 (Suppl. 01) 24-30
- 10 Jenny JY, Trojani C, Prudhon JL. , et al; Hip and Knee Surgery French Society (SFHG) Simultaneous bilateral total knee arthroplasty. A multicenter feasibility study. Orthop Traumatol Surg Res 2013; 99 (02) 191-195
- 11 Romagnoli S, Zacchetti S, Perazzo P, Verde F, Banfi G, Viganò M. Onsets of complications and revisions are not increased after simultaneous bilateral unicompartmental knee arthroplasty in comparison with unilateral procedures. Int Orthop 2015; 39 (05) 871-877
- 12 Yoon HS, Han CD, Yang IH. Comparison of simultaneous bilateral and staged bilateral total knee arthroplasty in terms of perioperative complications. J Arthroplasty 2010; 25 (02) 179-185
- 13 Bolognesi MP, Watters TS, Attarian DE, Wellman SS, Setoguchi S. Simultaneous vs staged bilateral total knee arthroplasty among Medicare beneficiaries, 2000-2009. J Arthroplasty 2013; 28 (8, Suppl): 87-91
- 14 Niki Y, Katsuyama E, Takeda Y, Enomoto H, Toyama Y, Suda Y. Comparison of postoperative morbidity between simultaneous bilateral and staged bilateral total knee arthroplasties: serological perspective and clinical consequences. J Arthroplasty 2014; 29 (03) 504-509
- 15 Hart A, Antoniou J, Brin YS, Huk OL, Zukor DJ, Bergeron SG. Simultaneous Bilateral Versus Unilateral Total Knee Arthroplasty: A Comparison of 30-Day Readmission Rates and Major Complications. J Arthroplasty 2016; 31 (01) 31-35
- 16 Restrepo C, Parvizi J, Dietrich T, Einhorn TA. Safety of simultaneous bilateral total knee arthroplasty. A meta-analysis. J Bone Joint Surg Am 2007; 89 (06) 1220-1226
- 17 Fu D, Li G, Chen K, Zeng H, Zhang X, Cai Z. Comparison of clinical outcome between simultaneous-bilateral and staged-bilateral total knee arthroplasty: a systematic review of retrospective studies. J Arthroplasty 2013; 28 (07) 1141-1147
- 18 Chen X, Cao X, Yang C, Guo K, Zhu Q, Zhu J. Effectiveness and Safety of Fixed-Dose Tranexamic Acid in Simultaneous Bilateral Total Knee Arthroplasty: A Randomized Double-Blind Controlled Trial. J Arthroplasty 2016; 31 (11) 2471-2475
- 19 Zhang H, Chen J, Chen F, Que W. The effect of tranexamic acid on blood loss and use of blood products in total knee arthroplasty: a meta-analysis. Knee Surg Sports Traumatol Arthrosc 2012; 20 (09) 1742-1752