Awareness Among Dental Undergraduate Students Regarding CAD/CAM Technology—A Survey Report
Background Contemporary dentistry is advancing toward computer-aided design/ computer-aided manufacturing (CAD/CAM) technology. But the budding dentists are unaware about the advancement. This survey aims at detecting the level of awareness among the undergraduate students and then correlating those results to modify the future curriculum.
Objective The study aims (1) to assess the awareness among the dental undergraduate students and (2) to correlate the level of awareness among the third years, final years, and interns.
Sample Selection Study sample consist of 300 students (third year students, final year students, and interns) of A. B. Shetty Memorial Institute of Dental Sciences, Mangalore, Karnataka, India. The information of the survey was collected with the help of a questionnaire.
Results More than 70% of the students were aware about the basic functioning of CAD/CAM unit and approximately 74% of the students were unaware about the materials used to fabricate the prosthesis using CAD/CAM technology.
Received: 24 November 2018
Accepted: 15 January 2019
10 February 2020 (online)
Thieme Medical and Scientific Publishers Private Ltd.
A-12, Second Floor, Sector -2, NOIDA -201301, India
- 1 Aslam K, Nadim R.. A review on CAD CAM in dentistry.. JPDA 2015; 24 (03) 112
- 2 Davidowitz G, Kotick PG. The use of CAD/CAM in dentistry.. Dent Clin North Am 2015; 55 (03) 559-570,ix
- 3 Chatham C, Spencer MH, Wood DJ, Johnson A.. The introduction of digital dental technology into BDS curricula. Br Dent J 2014; 217 (11) 639-642
- 4 Popa D, Burde A, Constantiniuc M, Ioana R, Bordea B, Compian RS. Students’ attitude towards dental CAD/CAM systems: a questionnaire study.. Am Sci Res J Eng Technol Sci 2015; 14 (03) 250-254
- 5 Saponaro PC, Yilmaz B, Johnston W, Heshmati RH, McGlumphy EA. Evaluation of patient experience and satisfaction with CAD-CAM-fabricated complete dentures: a retrospective survey study.. J Prosthet Dent 2016; 116 (04) 524-528
- 6 Kavarthapu A, Suresh V. CAD/CAM: a perspective of dental undergraduate.. IOSR J Dental Med Sci 2014; 13 (01) 30