A Questionnaire-Based Survey to Assess the Knowledge and Awareness of Denture Staining in Complete Denture Wearers
Background Knowledge of denture hygiene and staining is of importance for the edentulous patient to maintain a clean and hygienic prosthesis. However, many patients lack this basic knowledge. This survey aims at assessing the level of awareness among patients for the same.
Objective The aim and objective of this article are (1) to assess the knowledge of denture wearers on denture hygiene and maintenance, and (2) to gauge the awareness of denture wearers on denture staining.
Sample Selection Study sample will be consisting of 100 completely edentulous patients reporting to the Department of Prosthodontics in A. B. Shetty Memorial Institute of Dental Sciences.
Results Majority of the patients lacked proper education with regards to complete denture staining and hygiene maintenance and also lacked the proper motivation to carry out denture hygiene maintenance practices on a daily basis.
Received: 12 August 2018
Accepted: 02 January 2019
10 February 2020 (online)
Thieme Medical and Scientific Publishers Private Ltd.
A-12, Second Floor, Sector -2, NOIDA -201301, India
- 1 Barber S, Jerreat M, Jagger DC, Harrison A. Denture care of patients in a general hospital. J Disability Oral Health 2002; 3: 68-71
- 2 Peracini A, Andrade IM, Paranhos HdeF, Silva CH, de Souza RF. Behaviors and hygiene habits of complete denture wearers. Braz Dent J 2010; 21 (03) 247-252
- 3 Dikbas I, Koksal T, Calikkocaoglu S. Investigation of the cleanliness of dentures in a university hospital. Int J Prosthodont 2006; 19 (03) 294-298
- 4 Roshene R, Robin P, Raj JD. A survey of denture hygiene in older patients. J Pharmaceut Sci Res 2015; 7 (10) 897-900
- 5 Murtomaa H, Könönen M, Laine P. Age and maintenance of removable dentures in Finland. J Oral Rehabil 1992; 19 (02) 123-128
- 6 Suresan V, Mantri S, Deogade S. et al. Denture hygiene knowledge, attitudes, and practices toward patient education in denture care among dental practitioners of Jabalpur city, Madhya Pradesh, India. J Indian Prosthodont Soc 2016; 16 (01) 30-35
- 7 Kulak-Ozkan Y, Kazazoglu E, Arikan A. Oral hygiene habits, denture cleanliness, presence of yeasts and stomatitis in elderly people. J Oral Rehabil 2002; 29 (03) 300-304
- 8 Paranhos HdeF, da SilvaCH, Venezian GC, Macedo LD, de Souza RF. Distribution of biofilm on internal and external surfaces of upper complete dentures: the effect of hygiene instruction. Gerodontology 2007; 24 (03) 162-168
- 9 deCastellucciBarbosa L, Ferreira MR, de Carvalho Calabrich CF, Viana AC, de Lemos MC, Lauria RA. Edentulous patients’ knowledge of dental hygiene and care of prostheses. Gerodontology 2008; 25 (02) 99-106
- 10 Shreya S, Sangeetha Kirubagaran S. A questionnaire based survey among the patients wearing complete dentures on denture staining. Int J Sci Res (Ahmedabad) 2016; 5 (06) 591-596
- 11 Nevalainen MJ, Närhi TO, Ainamo A. Oral mucosal lesions and oral hygiene habits in the home-living elderly. J Oral Rehabil 1997; 24 (05) 332-337
- 12 Jeganathan S, Payne JA, Thean HP. Denture stomatitis in an elderly edentulous Asian population. J Oral Rehabil 1997; 24 (06) 468-472
- 13 Budtz-Jørgensen E. Materials and methods for cleaning dentures. J Prosthet Dent 1979; 42 (06) 619-623