Delayed Onset Abducens Nerve Palsy following Uncomplicated Large Cystic Vestibular Schwannoma Resection: Case ReportDisclosure of Funding None.
30 November 2018
18 June 2019
30 October 2019 (online)
Although delayed facial palsy after vestibular schwannoma (VS) surgery is a poorly understood but a well-known phenomenon, other delayed cranial nerve palsies in the cerebellopontine angle have not been reported after VS surgery. In this report, we describe a 54-year-old woman with a large cystic VS who experienced double vision and a new delayed onset right abducens nerve (AbN) palsy, 3 weeks after gross total resection of VS via a translabyrinthine approach. To the best of our knowledge, this is the first report describing delayed isolated AbN palsy after uncomplicated VS surgery. Magnetic resonance imaging findings and the management of this complication following VS surgery are discussed in this case report.
- 1 Samii M, Gerganov VM, Samii A. Functional outcome after complete surgical removal of giant vestibular schwannomas. J Neurosurg 2010; 112 (04) 860-867
- 2 Sampath P, Rhines LD, Holliday MJ, Brem H, Long DM. Late-onset facial nerve degeneration after vestibular schwannoma surgery: incidence, putative mechanisms, and prevention. Neurosurg Focus 1998; 5 (03) e6
- 3 Morton RP, Ackerman PD, Pisansky MT. , et al. Prognostic factors for the incidence and recovery of delayed facial nerve palsy after vestibular schwannoma resection. J Neurosurg 2011; 114 (02) 375-380
- 4 Grant GA, Rostomily RR, Kim DK. , et al. Delayed facial palsy after resection of vestibular schwannoma. J Neurosurg 2002; 97 (01) 93-96
- 5 Brackmann DE, Fisher LM, Hansen M, Halim A, Slattery WH. The effect of famciclovir on delayed facial paralysis after acoustic tumor resection. Laryngoscope 2008; 118 (09) 1617-1620
- 6 Han JS, Lee JA, Kong DS, Park K. Delayed cranial nerve palsy after microvascular decompression for hemifacial spasm. J Korean Neurosurg Soc 2012; 52 (04) 288-292
- 7 Yaman ME, Ayberk G, Eylen A, Ozveren MF. Isolated abducens nerve palsy following lumbar puncture: case report and review of the mechanism of action. J Neurosurg Sci 2010; 54 (03) 119-123