Subscribe to RSS
A Prospective Study to Evaluate Effectiveness of a Tinnitus Relief Device in a Clinical Setup
03 September 2019 (online)
Introduction Tinnitus has been shown to decrease the quality of life of a person. Being a less understood domain of the medical field, there are no definitive established therapies that can be applied to all patients of tinnitus. The current study is an effort to evaluate the effectiveness of the Tinnitus Relief device in the patients of tinnitus.
Aim To evaluate the effectiveness of Tinnitus Relief device TRx in treatment of tinnitus.
Methods A prospective study involving 67 participants suffering from tinnitus was conducted in a clinical setup at Delhi, Chandigarh, and Mumbai. These participants were subjected to pure tone audiometry (PTA) and an interview using Tinnitus Handicap Inventory (THI) questionnaire. These participants were advised to use Tinnitus Relief device TR201, TR301, TR401 for more than 6 to 10 months. Improvement in tinnitus in terms of percentage, questions pertaining to THI, and overall improvement in life (subjective) were evaluated after discontinuation of the use of the device in each participant.
Results It was found that there was significant improvement in mean THI score, following treatment with Tinnitus Relief TRx. This device was also able to completely alleviate 5 out of 12 associated complaints of tinnitus. No association could be found between the use of Tinnitus Relief therapy and hearing loss.
Conclusion Tinnitus Relief TRx can emerge as an effective tool for treatment of the tinnitus and can improve the life of the sufferer.
- 1 Hauptmann C, Williams M, Vinciati F, Haller M. Technical feasibility of acoustic coordinated reset therapy for tinnitus delivered via hearing aids: a case study. Case Rep Otolaryngol 2017; 2017: 5304242
- 2 Eggermont JJ, Tass PA. Maladaptive neural synchrony in tinnitus: origin and restoration. Front Neurol 2015; 6: 29
- 3 Gudex C, Skellgaard PH, West T, Sørensen J. Effectiveness of a tinnitus management programme: a 2-year follow-up study. BMC Ear Nose Throat Disord 2009; 9: 6
- 4 Nondahl DM, Cruickshanks KJ, Wiley TL, Klein R, Klein BE, Tweed TS. Prevalence and 5-year incidence of tinnitus among older adults: the epidemiology of hearing loss study. J Am Acad Audiol 2002; 13 (06) 323-331
- 5 Podoshin L, Ben-David J, Teszler CB. Pediatric and geriatric tinnitus. Int Tinnitus J 1997; 3 (02) 101-103
- 6 Davis A, El Refaie A. Epidemiology of tinnitus. In: RS Tyler. ed. Tinnitus Handbook. San Diego, CA: Thomson Learning; 2000: 1-23
- 7 Ziai K, Moshtaghi O, Mahboubi H, Djalilian HR. Tinnitus patients suffering from anxiety and depression: a review. Int Tinnitus J 2017; 21 (01) 68-73
- 8 Newman CW, Jacobson GP, Spitzer JB. Development of the Tinnitus Handicap Inventory. Arch Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 1996; 122 (02) 143-148
- 9 Hobson J, Chisholm E, El Refaie A. Sound therapy (masking) in the management of tinnitus in adults. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2012; 11: CD006371
- 10 Ahmed MF, Khater A. Tinnitus suppression after cochlear implantation in patients with single-sided deafness. Egypt J Otolaryngol 2017; 33: 61-66
- 11 Jun HJ, Park MK. Cognitive behavioral therapy for tinnitus: evidence and efficacy. Korean J Audiol 2013; 17 (03) 101-104
- 12 Jastreboff PJ, Jastreboff MM. Tinnitus Retraining Therapy (TRT) as a method for treatment of tinnitus and hyperacusis patients. J Am Acad Audiol 2000; 11 (03) 162-177
- 13 Hesse G. Evidence and evidence gaps in tinnitus therapy. GMS Curr Top Otorhinolaryngol Head Neck Surg 2016; 15: Doc04
- 14 Langguth B, Landgrebe M, Schlee W. et al. Different patterns of hearing loss among tinnitus patients : a latent class analysis of a large sample. Front Neurol 2017; 8: 46
- 15 Makar SK, Biswas A, Shatapathy P. The impact of tinnitus on sufferers in Indian population. Indian J. Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 2014; 66 (Suppl. 01) 37-51
- 16 Barros Suzuki FA, Yonamine FK, Onishi ET, Penido NO, Oliveira N. Effectiveness of sound therapy in patients with tinnitus resistant to previous treatments: importance of adjustments. Rev Bras Otorrinolaringol (Engl Ed) 2016; 82 (03) 297-303
- 17 Kim BJ, Chung SW, Jung JY, Suh MW. Effect of different sounds on the treatment outcome of tinnitus retraining therapy. Clin Exp Otorhinolaryngol 2014; 7 (02) 87-93
- 18 Goel S, Gupta S. Tinnitusrelief™ device in treatment of bothersome tinnitus : preliminary experience in private setting. Glob J Otolaryngol 2017; 5: 2-4
- 19 Simonetti P, Vasconcelos LG, Oiticica J. Effect of Fractal Tones on the Improvement of Tinnitus Handicap Inventory Functional Scores among Chronic Tinnitus Patients: An Open-label Pilot Study. Int Arch Otorhinolaryngol 2018; 22 (04) 387-394
- 20 van den Berge MJ, van Dijk JM, Free RH, Stienstra J, van Dijk P, van der Laan BF. Effect of direct stimulation of the cochleovestibular nerve on tinnitus: a long-term follow-up study. World Neurosurg 2017; 98: 571-577
- 21 Formánek M, Migal’ová P, Krulová P. et al. Combined transcranial magnetic stimulation in the treatment of chronic tinnitus. Ann Clin Transl Neurol 2018; 5 (07) 857-864
- 22 Smit JV, Janssen MLF, Engelhard M. et al. The impact of deep brain stimulation on tinnitus. Surg Neurol Int 2016; 7 (Suppl. 35) S848-S854