Clinical Evaluation of Homoeopathic Medicines in Benign Prostatic HyperplasiaFunding Agency Received no funding from any agency.
30 June 2019 (online)
Background Symptomatic benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH) is a common condition in elderly men and has a significant impact on their daily lives. Surgical procedures are currently used for the conventional treatment for BPH; but they have been associated with clinically significant adverse effects in patients.
Objectives The main purpose of this article is to evaluate the role of homoeopathic medicines for the treatment of BPH.
Materials and Methods Clinically diagnosed 30 subjects of BPH were given homoeopathy treatment and followed up for a period of 1 year. Homoeopathic medicines were prescribed to the subjects according to the principles of homoeopathy. Effects of homoeopathic medicines were analysed periodically by American Urological Association score (AUA score) and ultrasonography.
Results Marked amelioration of symptoms and reduction in size of prostate gland in BPH subjects were observed after homoeopathic treatment when analysed by AUA score and ultrasonography. There was marked reduction in various symptoms of BPH like nocturia, straining, incomplete sensation after urination, interrupted flow of urination with dribbling of urine and urgency significantly from 21.60 ± 4.64 units to 12.23 ± 3.68, that is, ∼57% reduction in symptoms of obstruction of bladder problem. The reduction was statistically significant (p = 0.001). However, transabdominal pelvic ultrasonic scan did not show statistically significant results.
Conclusion Homoeopathic medicines can prove to be an alternative treatment of BPH.
Approval of the Protocol by Institutional Ethical Committee
Approval of protocol done by DHAP (Delhi Homoeopathic Anusandhan Parishad ethical committee), Delhi.
- 1 Homma Y, Kawabe K, Tsukamoto T. , et al. Epidemiologic survey of lower urinary tract symptoms in Asia and Australia using the international prostate symptom score. Int J Urol 1997; 4 (01) 40-46
- 2 Dhingra N, Bhagwat D. Benign prostatic hyperplasia: an overview of existing treatment. Indian J Pharmacol 2011; 43 (01) 6-12
- 3 Berry SJ, Coffey DS, Walsh PC, Ewing LL. The development of human benign prostatic hyperplasia with age. J Urol 1984; 132 (03) 474-479
- 4 Abrams PH, Fenelly RCL. The significance of symptoms associated with bladder outflow obstruction. Urol Int 1978; 33: 171-174
- 5 Madsen FA, Bruskewitz RC. Clinical manifestations of benign prostatic hyperplasia. Urol Clin North Am 1995; 22 (02) 291-298
- 6 Gu F. Epidemiological survey of benign prostatic hyperplasia and prostatic cancer in China. Chin Med J (Engl) 2000; 113 (04) 299-302
- 7 Patel ND, Parsons JK. Epidemiology and etiology of benign prostatic hyperplasia and bladder outlet obstruction. Indian J Urol 2014; 30 (02) 170-176
- 8 Bid HK, Konwar R, Singh V. Benign prostatic hyperplasia: is it growing public health concern for India. Indian J Med Sci 2008; 62: 375-376
- 9 Asare GA, Afriyie D, Ngala Ra. , et al. Shrinkage of prostate and improved quality of life: management of BPH patients with croton membranaceus ethanolic root extract. Evidence-based Complementary and Alternative Medicine. 2015:(1);365205. DOI: 10.1155/2015/365205
- 10 Ma CH, Lin WL, Lui SL. , et al. Efficacy and safety of Chinese herbal medicine for benign prostatic hyperplasia: systematic review of randomized controlled trials. Asian J Androl 2013; 15 (04) 471-482
- 11 Zegarra L, Vaisberg A, Loza C. , et al. Double-blind randomized placebo-controlled study of Bixa orellana in patients with lower urinary tract symptoms associated to benign prostatic hyperplasia. Int Braz J Urol 2007; 33 (04) 493-500 , discussion 501
- 12 Shukla GN, Nayak M, Kulkarni KS. Use of PR-2000, a herbal formulation in the medical management of benign prostatic hyperplasia. Indian J Clin Pract. 2002; 13: 53-56
- 13 Oberai P, Roja V, Ramesh D. , et al. Homoeopathic medicines in the management of benign prostatic hyperplasia: a multicentric prospect. Indian J Res Homoeopath 2012; 6: 16-5
- 14 Gupta G, Singh JP, Tandon S. , et al. Evidence based clinical study to assess the usefulness of homoeopathic medicines in patients of benign prostatic hyperplasia. Indian J Res Homoeopath. 2010; 4: 49-6
- 15 Hati AK, Paital B, Naik KN, Mishra AK, Chainy GB, Nanda LK. Constitutional, organopathic and combined homeopathic treatment of benign prostatic hypertrophy: a clinical trial. Homeopathy 2012; 101 (04) 217-223
- 16 Reddy GRC, Oberai P, Singh V, Nayak C. Treating benign prostatic hyperplasia in elderly men with homoeopathy: a series of eleven cases. Indian J Res Homoeopath 2009; 3: 37-39
- 17 Dole S, Kandhare AD, Ghosh P, Gosavi TP, Bodhankar SL. The health outcome after homoeopathic treatment in cases of BPH and LUT: a prospective clinical study. J Pharm Biomed Sci 2012; 22: 1-7
- 18 Oberai P, Roja V, Ramesh D. , et al. Homoeopathic medicines in the management of benign prostatic hyperplasia: a multicentric prospective observational study. Indian J Res Homoeopath 2012; 6: 16-25
- 19 Gupta Gupta G. Ultrasonographic assessment of benign prostate hypertrophy cases in response to homoeopathic drugs. Asian Homoeopath J 1994; 4: 10-17
- 20 Gupta G, Singh JP, Tandon S. , et al. Evidence based clinical study to assess the usefulness of homoeopathic medicines in patients of benign prostatic hyperplasia. Indian J Res Homoeopath 2010; 4 (04) 449-456
- 21 Gupta G, Singh JP, Tandon S. , et al. Evidence based clinical study to assess the usefulness of homoeopathic medicines in patients of benign prostatic hyperplasia. Am J Homoeopath Med 2012; 105: 63-69
- 22 Gupta G, Singh S. An evidence based case study of benign prostatic hyperplasia. Indian J Res Homoeopath 2012; 6: 26-30
- 23 Kent JT. Kent's Repertory of the Homoeopathic Materia Medica. New Delhi, India: B. Jain Publishers (P) Ltd; 2004: 625
- 24 Corey W. Benign prostatic hypertrophy: analysis and homoeopathic treatment. Am J Homoeopath Med 2008; 101: 149-155
- 25 Sherwani A. Proste-Its cures by Homoeopathy. HpathyEzine, June, 2016. Available at: https://hpathy.com/journal/homeopathy-4-everyone-june-2016/ . Accessed on June 20, 2019
- 26 Barry MJ, Fowler Jr FJ, O'Leary MP. , et al; The Measurement Committee of the American Urological Association. The American Urological Association symptom index for benign prostatic hyperplasia. J Urol 1992; 148 (05) 1549-1557 , discussion 1564
- 27 Boericke W. Boericke's New Manual of Homoeopathic MM with Repertory. New Delhi, India: B. Jain Publishers (P) Ltd; 2007: 752