Subscribe to RSS
Maisonneuve Variant Lesion with Proximal Tibiofibular Dislocation[*]Article in several languages: português | English
04 January 2018
02 July 2018
27 June 2019 (online)
Maisonneuve lesion is a rare entity, accounting for 7% of all ankle fractures. One of its variants includes a proximal tibiofibular dislocation, which is an even more unusual injury. This article reports the case of a 34-year-old male patient admitted to the emergency room with left lower limb edema after a sports trauma. A knee X-ray revealed an anterolateral subluxation of the proximal tibiofibular joint, with no signs of fracture. After limb evaluation, the diagnosis of Maisonneuve variant lesion with proximal tibiofibular dislocation was confirmed. The authors describe this case, addressing the clinical, radiological and surgical features of such variant.
* Work performed in the Instituição Doutor José Frota, Fortaleza, Ceará, Brazil.
- 1 Ibrahim T, Beiri A, Azzabi M, Best AJ, Taylor GJ, Menon DK. Reliability and validity of the subjective component of the American Orthopaedic Foot and Ankle Society clinical rating scales. J Foot Ankle Surg 2007; 46 (02) 65-74
- 2 Corrigan C, Asbury B, Alvarez RG, Nowotarski P. Dislocation of the proximal and distal tibiofibular syndesmotic complex without associated fracture: case report. Foot Ankle Int 2011; 32 (10) 1009-1011
- 3 Hinds RM, Tran WH, Lorich DG. Maisonneuve-hyperplantarflexion variant ankle fracture. Orthopedics 2014; 37 (11) e1040-e1044
- 4 Bissuel T, Gaillard F, Dagneaux L, Canovas F. Maisonneuve equivalent injury with proximal tibiofibular joint dislocation: case report and literature review. J Foot Ankle Surg 2017; 56 (02) 404-407
- 5 Sreesobh KV, Cherian J. Traumatic dislocations of the proximal tibiofibular joint: a report of two cases. J Orthop Surg (Hong Kong) 2009; 17 (01) 109-111
- 6 Kumar G, Sankar B, Anand S, Murali SR. Superior tibiofibular joint disruption - As a variant of Maisonneuve injury. Foot Ankle Surg 2004; 10 (01) 41-43
- 7 Levy BA, Vogt KJ, Herrera DA, Cole PA. Maisonneuve fracture equivalent with proximal tibiofibular dislocation. A case report and literature review. J Bone Joint Surg Am 2006; 88 (05) 1111-1116