Clinical Outcomes and Multidisciplinary Patterns of Failure for Olfactory Neuroblastoma: The Ohio State Experience
02. Januar 2019
08. Mai 2019
12. Juni 2019 (online)
Purpose Olfactory neuroblastoma (ONB) is a rare head and neck cancer believed to be originated from neural crest cells of the olfactory membrane located in the roof of the nasal fossa. This study evaluates clinical outcomes and failure patterns in ONB patients of those patients treated with surgical resection at a high-volume tertiary cancer center.
Methods and Materials Thirty-nine ONB patients who underwent surgical resection at our institution from 1996 to 2017 were retrospectively identified. Univariate, multivariate, and survival analysis were calculated using Cox regression analysis and Kaplan–Meier log-rank.
Results Median follow-up time was 59 months (range: 5.2–236 months). The median overall survival (OS) and disease-free survival (DFS) for the entire cohort were 15 and 7.6 years, respectively. The 5-year cumulative OS and DFS were 83 and 72%, respectively. The 5-year OS for low Hyams grade (LHG) versus high Hyams grade (HHG) was 95 versus 61% (p = 0.041). LHG was found in 66% of the early Kadish stage patients compared with 28% in the advanced Kadish stage patients (p = 0.057). On multivariate analysis, HHG and positive node status predicted for worse OS and only HHG predicted for worse DFS. Of note, five patients (all Kadish stage A) who received surgical resection alone had no observed deaths or recurrences with a median follow-up of 44 months (range: 5–235 months).
Conclusion In this retrospective cohort, patients with positive nodes or HHG have significantly worse clinical outcomes. Future studies should explore treatment intensification for HHG or positive nodes.
* Co-first authors, contributed equally.
- 1 Goldsweig HG, Sundaresan N. Chemotherapy of recurrent esthesioneuroblastoma. Case report and review of the literature. Am J Clin Oncol 1990; 13 (02) 139-143
- 2 Jethanamest D, Morris LG, Sikora AG, Kutler DI. Esthesioneuroblastoma: a population-based analysis of survival and prognostic factors. Arch Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 2007; 133 (03) 276-280
- 3 Gallia GL, Asemota AO, Blitz AM. , et al. Endonasal endoscopic resection of olfactory neuroblastoma: an 11-year experience. J Neurosurg 2018; ;•••: 1-7
- 4 Harvey RJ, Nalavenkata S, Sacks R. , et al. Survival outcomes for stage-matched endoscopic and open resection of olfactory neuroblastoma. Head Neck 2017; 39 (12) 2425-2432
- 5 Kadish S, Goodman M, Wang CC. Olfactory neuroblastoma. A clinical analysis of 17 cases. Cancer 1976; 37 (03) 1571-1576
- 6 Broich G, Pagliari A, Ottaviani F. Esthesioneuroblastoma: a general review of the cases published since the discovery of the tumour in 1924. Anticancer Res 1997; 17 (4A): 2683-2706
- 7 Thompson LDR. Olfactory neuroblastoma. Head Neck Pathol 2009; 3 (03) 252-259
- 8 Diaz Jr EM, Johnigan III RH, Pero C. , et al. Olfactory neuroblastoma: the 22-year experience at one comprehensive cancer center. Head Neck 2005; 27 (02) 138-149
- 9 Chao KS, Kaplan C, Simpson JR. , et al. Esthesioneuroblastoma: the impact of treatment modality. Head Neck 2001; 23 (09) 749-757
- 10 Resto VA, Eisele DW, Forastiere A, Zahurak M, Lee DJ, Westra WH. Esthesioneuroblastoma: the Johns Hopkins experience. Head Neck 2000; 22 (06) 550-558
- 11 Dulguerov P, Calcaterra T. Esthesioneuroblastoma: the UCLA experience 1970-1990. Laryngoscope 1992; 102 (08) 843-849
- 12 McElroy Jr EA, Buckner JC, Lewis JE. Chemotherapy for advanced esthesioneuroblastoma: the Mayo Clinic experience. Neurosurgery 1998; 42 (05) 1023-1027 , discussion 1027–1028
- 13 Morita A, Ebersold MJ, Olsen KD, Foote RL, Lewis JE, Quast LM. Esthesioneuroblastoma: prognosis and management. Neurosurgery 1993; 32 (05) 706-714 , discussion 714–715
- 14 Van Gompel JJ, Giannini C, Olsen KD. , et al. Long-term outcome of esthesioneuroblastoma: Hyams grade predicts patient survival. J Neurol Surg B Skull Base 2012; 73 (05) 331-336
- 15 Eden BV, Debo RF, Larner JM. , et al. Esthesioneuroblastoma. Long-term outcome and patterns of failure--the University of Virginia experience. Cancer 1994; 73 (10) 2556-2562
- 16 Loy AH, Reibel JF, Read PW. , et al. Esthesioneuroblastoma: continued follow-up of a single institution's experience. Arch Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 2006; 132 (02) 134-138
- 17 Fitzek MM, Thornton AF, Varvares M. , et al. Neuroendocrine tumors of the sinonasal tract. Results of a prospective study incorporating chemotherapy, surgery, and combined proton-photon radiotherapy. Cancer 2002; 94 (10) 2623-2634
- 18 Benfari G, Fusconi M, Ciofalo A. , et al. Radiotherapy alone for local tumour control in esthesioneuroblastoma. Acta Otorhinolaryngol Ital 2008; 28 (06) 292-297
- 19 Devaiah AK, Andreoli MT. Treatment of esthesioneuroblastoma: a 16-year meta-analysis of 361 patients. Laryngoscope 2009; 119 (07) 1412-1416
- 20 Tajudeen BA, Adappa ND, Kuan EC. , et al. Smell preservation following endoscopic unilateral resection of esthesioneuroblastoma: a multi-institutional experience. Int Forum Allergy Rhinol 2016; 6 (10) 1047-1050
- 21 Gomez Galarce M, Yanez-Siller JC, Carrau RL. , et al. Endonasal anatomy of the olfactory neural network: Surgical implications. Laryngoscope 2018; 128 (11) 2473-2477
- 22 Nishimura H, Ogino T, Kawashima M. , et al. Proton-beam therapy for olfactory neuroblastoma. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 2007; 68 (03) 758-762
- 23 Jiang W, Mohamed ASR, Fuller CD. , et al. The role of elective nodal irradiation for esthesioneuroblastoma patients with clinically negative neck. Pract Radiat Oncol 2016; 6 (04) 241-247
- 24 Noh OK, Lee SW, Yoon SM. , et al. Radiotherapy for esthesioneuroblastoma: is elective nodal irradiation warranted in the multimodality treatment approach?. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 2011; 79 (02) 443-449
- 25 McLean JN, Nunley SR, Klass C, Moore C, Müller S, Johnstone PA. Combined modality therapy of esthesioneuroblastoma. Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 2007; 136 (06) 998-1002
- 26 Turri-Zanoni M, Maragliano R, Battaglia P. , et al. The clinicopathological spectrum of olfactory neuroblastoma and sinonasal neuroendocrine neoplasms: Refinements in diagnostic criteria and impact of multimodal treatments on survival. Oral Oncol 2017; 74: 21-29
- 27 Polin RS, Sheehan JP, Chenelle AG. , et al. The role of preoperative adjuvant treatment in the management of esthesioneuroblastoma: the University of Virginia experience. Neurosurgery 1998; 42 (05) 1029-1037
- 28 Kim D-W, Jo Y-H, Kim JH. , et al. Neoadjuvant etoposide, ifosfamide, and cisplatin for the treatment of olfactory neuroblastoma. Cancer 2004; 101 (10) 2257-2260
- 29 Czapiewski P, Kunc M, Gorczyński A. , et al. Frequent expression of somatostatin receptor 2a in olfactory neuroblastomas: a new and distinctive feature. Hum Pathol 2018; 79: 144-150
- 30 Mao L, Xia YP, Zhou YN. , et al. Activation of sonic hedgehog signaling pathway in olfactory neuroblastoma. Oncology 2009; 77 (3-4): 231-243
- 31 Preusser M, Hutterer M, Sohm M. , et al. Disease stabilization of progressive olfactory neuroblastoma (esthesioneuroblastoma) under treatment with sunitinib mesylate. J Neurooncol 2010; 97 (02) 305-308