Change in Shear Elastic Modulus of Thigh Muscle by Changing Muscle Length Using Ultrasound Shear Wave Elastography in Beagle DogsFunding None.
24 January 2019
03 May 2019
26 June 2019 (online)
Objectives This study investigated the relationship between the change in the shear elastic modulus and the change in muscle length using ultrasound shear wave elastography.
Study Design Four thigh muscles, cranial part of the sartorius, vastus lateralis, biceps femoris and semitendinosus muscles, of 21 pelvic limbs in 12 clinically healthy Beagle dogs were used. The muscle length was estimated using a radiograph and the flexed and extended positions of the coxofemoral and stifle joints, respectively. The shear elastic modulus (kPa) was measured in two joint positions using ultrasound shear wave elastography. Shear elastic modulus was expressed as median of 10 consecutive measurements. The percentage change of elastic modulus was calculated from the shear elastic modulus in elongated condition and pre-elongated condition of muscle.
Results The elastic modulus of all muscles increased when the muscle was elongated. The shear elastic modulus for both joint positions and the percentage change of the shear elastic modulus (%) in cranial part of the sartorius were highest in all muscles. Intra-observer correlation coefficient (1.2) was 0.75 to 0.96 and intra-observer correlation coefficients (2.2) was 0.46 to 0.96.
Conclusion This study revealed that the shear elastic modulus of muscle was changed by the change in muscle length and increased when the muscle was elongated. Ultrasound shear wave elastography can be used to assess the elastic properties of canine muscle.
Miki Shimizu and Yu Ito contributed to conception of study, study design, acquisition of data and data analysis and interpretation. Both the authors drafted, revised and approved the submitted manuscript.
- 1 Ettema GJ. Effects of contraction history on control and stability in explosive actions. J Electromyogr Kinesiol 2002; 12 (06) 455-461
- 2 Gennisson JL, Cornu C, Catheline S, Fink M, Portero P. Human muscle hardness assessment during incremental isometric contraction using transient elastography. J Biomech 2005; 38 (07) 1543-1550
- 3 Murayama M, Yoneda T, Kawai S. Muscle tension dynamics of isolated frog muscle with application of perpendicular distortion. Eur J Appl Physiol 2005; 93 (04) 489-495
- 4 Bensamoun SF, Glaser KJ, Ringleb SI, Chen Q, Ehman RL, An KN. Rapid magnetic resonance elastography of muscle using one-dimensional projection. J Magn Reson Imaging 2008; 27 (05) 1083-1088
- 5 Jenkyn TR, Ehman RL, An KN. Noninvasive muscle tension measurement using the novel technique of magnetic resonance elastography (MRE). J Biomech 2003; 36 (12) 1917-1921
- 6 Chuang LL, Wu CY, Lin KC. Reliability, validity, and responsiveness of myotonometric measurement of muscle tone, elasticity, and stiffness in patients with stroke. Arch Phys Med Rehabil 2012; 93 (03) 532-540
- 7 Bensamoun SF, Ringleb SI, Littrell L. , et al. Determination of thigh muscle stiffness using magnetic resonance elastography. J Magn Reson Imaging 2006; 23 (02) 242-247
- 8 Creze M, Nordez A, Soubeyrand M, Rocher L, Maître X, Bellin MF. Shear wave sonoelastography of skeletal muscle: basic principles, biomechanical concepts, clinical applications, and future perspectives. Skeletal Radiol 2018; 47 (04) 457-471
- 9 Ariji Y, Katsumata A, Hiraiwa Y. , et al. Use of sonographic elastography of the masseter muscles for optimizing massage pressure: a preliminary study. J Oral Rehabil 2009; 36 (09) 627-635
- 10 Drakonaki EE, Allen GM. Magnetic resonance imaging, ultrasound and real-time ultrasound elastography of the thigh muscles in congenital muscle dystrophy. Skeletal Radiol 2010; 39 (04) 391-396
- 11 Akagi R, Takahashi H. Acute effect of static stretching on hardness of the gastrocnemius muscle. Med Sci Sports Exerc 2013; 45 (07) 1348-1354
- 12 Nakamura M, Ikezoe T, Kobayashi T. , et al. Acute effects of static stretching on muscle hardness of the medial gastrocnemius muscle belly in humans: an ultrasonic shear-wave elastography study. Ultrasound Med Biol 2014; 40 (09) 1991-1997
- 13 Umegaki H, Ikezoe T, Nakamura M. , et al. Acute effects of static stretching on the hamstrings using shear elastic modulus determined by ultrasound shear wave elastography: differences in flexibility between hamstring muscle components. Man Ther 2015; 20 (04) 610-613
- 14 Cortez CD, Hermitte L, Ramain A, Mesmann C, Lefort T, Pialat JB. Ultrasound shear wave velocity in skeletal muscle: a reproducibility study. Diagn Interv Imaging 2016; 97 (01) 71-79
- 15 Dietrich CF, Bamber J, Berzigotti A. , et al. EFSUMB guidelines and recommendations on the clinical use of liver ultrasound elastography, update 2017 (Long Version). Ultraschall Med 2017; 38 (04) e16-e47
- 16 Alfuraih AM, O'Connor P, Hensor E, Tan AL, Emery P, Wakefield RJ. The effect of unit, depth, and probe load on the reliability of muscle shear wave elastography: variables affecting reliability of SWE. J Clin Ultrasound 2018; 46 (02) 108-115
- 17 Kot BC, Zhang ZJ, Lee AW, Leung VY, Fu SN. Elastic modulus of muscle and tendon with shear wave ultrasound elastography: variations with different technical settings. PLoS One 2012; 7 (08) e44348
- 18 Sakaeda K, Shimizu M. Use of B-mode ultrasonography for measuring femoral muscle thickness in dogs. J Vet Med Sci 2016; 78 (05) 803-810
- 19 Levinson SF, Shinagawa M, Sato T. Sonoelastic determination of human skeletal muscle elasticity. J Biomech 1995; 28 (10) 1145-1154
- 20 Gennisson JL, Deffieux T, Macé E, Montaldo G, Fink M, Tanter M. Viscoelastic and anisotropic mechanical properties of in vivo muscle tissue assessed by supersonic shear imaging. Ultrasound Med Biol 2010; 36 (05) 789-801
- 21 Eby SF, Song P, Chen S, Chen Q, Greenleaf JF, An KN. Validation of shear wave elastography in skeletal muscle. J Biomech 2013; 46 (14) 2381-2387
- 22 Alfuraih AM, O'Connor P, Tan AL, Hensor E, Emery P, Wakefield RJ. An investigation into the variability between different shear wave elastography systems in muscle. Med Ultrason 2017; 19 (04) 392-400
- 23 Dubois G, Kheireddine W, Vergari C. , et al. Reliable protocol for shear wave elastography of lower limb muscles at rest and during passive stretching. Ultrasound Med Biol 2015; 41 (09) 2284-2291
- 24 Gillis GB, Flynn JP, McGuigan P, Biewener AA. Patterns of strain and activation in the thigh muscles of goats across gaits during level locomotion. J Exp Biol 2005; 208 (Pt 24): 4599-4611
- 25 Hermanson JW. The muscular system. In: Evans HE, De Lahunta A. , eds. Miller's Anatomy of the Dog. 4th ed. Missouri: Saunders Elsevier; 2013: 185-280
- 26 Landis JR, Koch GG. The measurement of observer agreement for categorical data. Biometrics 1977; 33 (01) 159-174
- 27 Dresner MA, Rose GH, Rossman PJ, Muthupillai R, Manduca A, Ehman RL. Magnetic resonance elastography of skeletal muscle. J Magn Reson Imaging 2001; 13 (02) 269-276
- 28 Maïsetti O, Hug F, Bouillard K, Nordez A. Characterization of passive elastic properties of the human medial gastrocnemius muscle belly using supersonic shear imaging. J Biomech 2012; 45 (06) 978-984
- 29 Koo TK, Guo JY, Cohen JH, Parker KJ. Relationship between shear elastic modulus and passive muscle force: an ex-vivo study. J Biomech 2013; 46 (12) 2053-2059
- 30 Le Sant G, Ates F, Brasseur JL, Nordez A. Elastography study of hamstring behaviors during passive stretching. PLoS One 2015; 10 (09) e0139272
- 31 Miyamoto N, Hirata K, Kanehisa H. Effects of hamstring stretching on passive muscle stiffness vary between hip flexion and knee extension maneuvers. Scand J Med Sci Sports 2017; 27 (01) 99-106
- 32 Nordez A, McNair PJ, Casari P, Cornu C. Static and cyclic stretching: their different effects on the passive torque-angle curve. J Sci Med Sport 2010; 13 (01) 156-160
- 33 Nordez A, Hug F. Muscle shear elastic modulus measured using supersonic shear imaging is highly related to muscle activity level. J Appl Physiol (1985) 2010; 108 (05) 1389-1394
- 34 Hug F, Tucker K, Gennisson JL, Tanter M, Nordez A. Elastography for muscle biomechanics: toward the estimation of individual muscle force. Exerc Sport Sci Rev 2015; 43 (03) 125-133
- 35 Koo TK, Hug F. Factors that influence muscle shear modulus during passive stretch. J Biomech 2015; 48 (12) 3539-3542
- 36 Umehara J, Ikezoe T, Nishishita S. , et al. Effect of hip and knee position on tensor fasciae latae elongation during stretching: an ultrasonic shear wave elastography study. Clin Biomech (Bristol, Avon) 2015; 30 (10) 1056-1059
- 37 Roberts TJ. Contribution of elastic tissues to the mechanics and energetics of muscle function during movement. J Exp Biol 2016; 219 (Pt 2): 266-275
- 38 Yoshitake Y, Miyamoto N, Taniguchi K, Katayose M, Kanehisa H. The skin acts to maintain muscle shear modulus. Ultrasound Med Biol 2016; 42 (03) 674-682
- 39 Sallum AM, Varsani H, Holton JL, Marie SK, Wedderburn LR. Morphometric analyses of normal pediatric brachial biceps and quadriceps muscle tissue. Histol Histopathol 2013; 28 (04) 525-530