Subscribe to RSS
Clinical and Radiological Evaluation of Patients Undergoing Distal Radio Osteosynthesis with Locking Plate—Retrospective Study[*]Article in several languages: português | English
27 December 2017
28 May 2018
27 June 2019 (online)
Objective The objective of the present work was to perform a retrospective study based on the medical files and radiographs of the patients, as well as on the socioeconomic data of the patients submitted to distal radio osteosynthesis with locking plates, evaluating them clinically and radiographically.
Methods The postoperative period was evaluated clinically and radiologically in the orthopedics and traumatology clinic service of our hospital between 2016 and 2017.
Results In the radiographic evaluation, we found 22 (75.86%) excellent results, 6 (20.69%) good results, and 1 (3.45%) regular result. In the clinical evaluation, the ulnar deviation obtained a mean of 28.40, a standard deviation (SD) of 3.0 and a coefficient of variation of 10.56%. The radial deviations averaged 22.93, with a SD of 2.2 and a coefficient of variation of 9.59%. The range of motion in flexion obtained a mean of 59.43, a SD of 9.86 and a coefficient of variation of 16.59%. The extension obtained a mean of 53.83, a SD of 5.09 and a coefficient of variation of 9.46%.
Conclusion We have concluded that there is statistical correlation between clinical and radiographic data, and that the locking plate is a treatment method with a high success rate in the surgical procedure of distal radius fractures.
* Work performed at the Hospital Naval Marcílio Dias, Rio de Janeiro, RJ, Brazil.
- 1 Arora R, Gabl M, Gschwentner M, Deml C, Krappinger D, Lutz M. A comparative study of clinical and radiologic outcomes of unstable colles type distal radius fractures in patients older than 70 years: nonoperative treatment versus volar locking plating. J Orthop Trauma 2009; 23 (04) 237-242
- 2 O'Neill TW, Cooper C, Finn JD, Lunt M, Purdie D, Reid DM. , et al; UK Colles' Fracture Study Group. Incidence of distal forearm fracture in British men and women. Osteoporos Int 2001; 12 (07) 555-558
- 3 Liporace FA, Adams MR, Capo JT, Koval KJ. Distal radius fractures. J Orthop Trauma 2009; 23 (10) 739-748
- 4 Osada D, Viegas SF, Shah MA, Morris RP, Patterson RM. Comparison of different distal radius dorsal and volar fracture fixation plates: a biomechanical study. J Hand Surg Am 2003; 28 (01) 94-104
- 5 McCall TA, Conrad B, Badman B, Wright T. Volar versus dorsal fixed-angle fixation of dorsally unstable extra-articular distal radius fractures: a biomechanic study. J Hand Surg Am 2007; 32 (06) 806-812
- 6 Wong KK, Chan KW, Kwok TK, Mak KH. Volar fixation of dorsally displaced distal radial fracture using locking compression plate. J Orthop Surg (Hong Kong) 2005; 13 (02) 153-157
- 7 Jupiter JB, Marent-Huber M. ; LCP Study Group. Operative management of distal radial fractures with 2.4-millimeter locking plates. A multicenter prospective case series. J Bone Joint Surg Am 2009; 91 (01) 55-65
- 8 Arora R, Lutz M, Hennerbichler A, Krappinger D, Espen D, Gabl M. Complications following internal fixation of unstable distal radius fracture with a palmar locking-plate. J Orthop Trauma 2007; 21 (05) 316-322
- 9 Barton T, Chambers C, Bannister G. A comparison between subjective outcome score and moderate radial shortening following a fractured distal radius in patients of mean age 69 years. J Hand Surg Eur Vol 2007; 32 (02) 165-169
- 10 Anzarut A, Johnson JA, Rowe BH, Lambert RG, Blitz S, Majumdar SR. Radiologic and patient-reported functional outcomes in an elderly cohort with conservatively treated distal radius fractures. J Hand Surg Am 2004; 29 (06) 1121-1127
- 11 Caporrino FA, Belotti JC, Ulson HJR, Toledo LFQ, Reis FB, Machado JKS. Fraturas da extremidade distal do rádio e da ulna. In: Pardini Júnior AG, Freitas A. Traumatismos da mão. 4a. ed. Rio de Janeiro: MedBook; 2008: 411-445
- 12 de Oliveira Filho OM, Belangero WD, Teles JB. Fraturas do rádio distal: avaliação das classificações. Rev Assoc Med Bras (1992) 2004; 50 (01) 55-61
- 13 Figl M, Weninger P, Liska M, Hofbauer M, Leixnering M. Volar fixed-angle plate osteosynthesis of unstable distal radius fractures: 12 months results. Arch Orthop Trauma Surg 2009; 129 (05) 661-669
- 14 Trumble TE, Wagner W, Hanel DP, Vedder NB, Gilbert M. Intrafocal (Kapandji) pinning of distal radius fractures with and without external fixation. J Hand Surg Am 1998; 23 (03) 381-394
- 15 Nazar MA, Mansingh R, Bassi RS, Waseem M. Is there a consensus in the management of distal radial fractures?. Open Orthop J 2009; 3: 96-99
- 16 Orbay JL, Fernandez DL. Volar fixation for dorsally displaced fractures of the distal radius: a preliminary report. J Hand Surg Am 2002; 27 (02) 205-215
- 17 Reis FB, Machado JKS. Fraturas da extremidade distal do rádio e da ulna – tratamento cruento. In: Pardini A, Freitas A. Traumatismos da Mão. Rio de Janeiro: Medbook; 2008: 438-445
- 18 Xavier CRM, Molin DCD, Santos RMM, Santos RDT, Ferreira Neto JC. Tratamento cirúrgico das fraturas do rádio distal com placa volar bloqueada: correlação dos resultados clínicos e radiográficos. Rev Bras Ortop 2011; 46 (05) 505-513
- 19 Kamano M, Koshimune M, Toyama M, Kazuki K. Palmar plating system for Colles' fractures--a preliminary report. J Hand Surg Am 2005; 30 (04) 750-755
- 20 Drobetz H, Kutscha-Lissberg E. Osteosynthesis of distal radial fractures with a volar locking screw plate system. Int Orthop 2003; 27 (01) 1-6
- 21 Rozental TD, Blazar PE. Functional outcome and complications after volar plating for dorsally displaced, unstable fractures of the distal radius. J Hand Surg Am 2006; 31 (03) 359-365
- 22 Gruber G, Zacherl M, Giessauf C, Glehr M, Fuerst F, Liebmann W. , et al. Quality of life after volar plate fixation of articular fractures of the distal part of the radius. J Bone Joint Surg Am 2010; 92 (05) 1170-1178
- 23 Leung F, Zhu L, Ho H, Lu WW, Chow SP. Palmar plate fixation of AO type C2 fracture of distal radius using a locking compression plate--a biomechanical study in a cadaveric model. J Hand Surg [Br] 2003; 28 (03) 263-266
- 24 Fujii K, Henmi T, Kanematsu Y, Mishiro T, Sakai T, Terai T. Fractures of the distal end of radius in elderly patients: a comparative study of anatomical and functional results. J Orthop Surg (Hong Kong) 2002; 10 (01) 9-15
- 25 Jaremko JL, Lambert RG, Rowe BH, Johnson JA, Majumdar SR. Do radiographic indices of distal radius fracture reduction predict outcomes in older adults receiving conservative treatment?. Clin Radiol 2007; 62 (01) 65-72
- 26 van Eerten PV, Lindeboom R, Oosterkamp AE, Goslings JC. An X-ray template assessment for distal radial fractures. Arch Orthop Trauma Surg 2008; 128 (02) 217-221
- 27 Severo LA, Mentz L, Busetto AM, Lech O, Pinto S. Fraturas da extremidade distal do rádio tratadas pela técnica de Ulson. Rev Bras Ortop 2003; 38 (08) 438-445