Anatomical and Morphometric Study of Optic Foramen in North Indian PopulationFunding None.
26 June 2019 (online)
Introduction Optic canal connects orbit to middle cranial fossa. Optic nerve and ophthalmic artery pass through this canal. The aim of the present study is to make morphometric and anatomical observations of endocranial opening of optic canal.
Materials and Methods The observations were conducted on 30 dry adult human skulls. The observations were made on shape, margins, confluence, septations, dimensions, and distance of optic foramen from apex of petrous temporal bone.
Result and Statistical Analysis On morphometric observation, transverse diameter (TD) was 6.00 mm and 6.15 mm on the left and the right side, respectively. The vertical diameter (VD) was 5.14 mm on the left side and 4.82 mm on the right side. The distance of optic foramen to apex of petrous temporal bone was 21.84 mm on the left side and 21.90 mm on the right side. The mean, standard deviation, range, and p value were measured by using SPSS software version 19.00.
Conclusion In the present study we attempt to provide a comprehensive anatomical and morphometric data of optic foramen that may help ophthalmologists and neurosurgeons during surgery.
- 1 Berlis A, Putz R, Schumacher M. Direct and CT measurements of canals and foramina of the skull base. Br J Radiol 1992; 65 (776) 653-661
- 2 Choudhry R, Choudhry S, Anand C. Duplication of optic canals in human skulls. J Anat 1988; 159: 113-116
- 3 Lang J. Structure and postnatal organization of heretofore uninvestigated and infrequent ossifications of the sella turcica region. Acta Anat (Basel) 1977; 99 (02) 121-139
- 4 Williams IP, Warwick R. Gray's Anatomy. 37th ed. London: Churchill Livingstone; 1989
- 5 Warwick R. A juvenile skull exhibiting duplication of the optic canals and subdivision of the superior orbital fissure. J Anat 1951; 85 (03) 289-291
- 6 Govsa F, Erturk M, Kayalioglu G, Pinar Y, Ozer MA, Ozgur T. Neuro-arterial relations in the region of the optic canal. Surg Radiol Anat 1999; 21 (05) 329-335
- 7 Keyes JEL. Observations on four thousand optic foramina. Albrecht V. Graefes. Aarchiv Fur Opthalmologie 1935; 13: 538-568
- 8 White LE. An anatomic and X-ray study of the optic canal. Boston Med Surg J 1942; 189: 741-748
- 9 Le-Double AF. Traite'des variations des os du Crane de I'Homme Paris. Vigol Fre'res 1935; 1903: 372
- 10 Orhan Mağden A, Kaynak S. Bilateral duplication of the optic canals. Ann Anat 1996; 178 (01) 61-64
- 11 Sweta VR, Kumar SS. Accessory optic canal in south Indian dry skull. J Pharm Sci Res 2014; 6 (05) 224-225
- 12 Kalthur S, Periyasamy R, Kumar S, Gupta C, D'souza AS. A morphometric evaluation of the optic canal: comparative study between computerized tomographic study and direct anatomic study. Saudi J Med Med Sci 2015; 3 (03) 204-208