Primary Ovarian Leiomyoma—A Common Tumor at an Uncommon Site
Leiomyoma is a benign mesenchymal tumor that commonly occurs in the uterus, ovary being a rare site. Ovarian leiomyomas constitute 0.5 to 1% of all benign tumors. They probably arise from the smooth muscle cells in the ovarian hilar blood vessels. They occur most commonly in premenopausal women. We report a case of primary ovarian leiomyoma in a 39-year-old female patient.
12 February 2020 (online)
Thieme Medical and Scientific Publishers Private Ltd.
A-12, Second Floor, Sector -2, NOIDA -201301, India
- 1 Gilks B. Uterus corpus. In: Rosai and Ackerman. eds. Surgical Pathology. 11th ed.. Philadelphia, PA: Mosby Elsevier; 2018: 1623-1688
- 2 Taskin MI, Ozturk E, Yildirim F, Ozdemir N, Inceboz U. Primary ovarian leiomyoma: a case report. Int J Surg Case Rep 2014; 5 (10) 665-668
- 3 Choi SY, Park JW, Lee JS, Kim BG, Bae DS.. A rare case of ovarian leiomyoma with atypical Meig’s syndrome. Korean J Obstet Gynecol 2012; 55 (04) 285-289
- 4 Fasih N, Prasad Shanbhogue AK, Macdonald DB. et al. Leiomyomas beyond the uterus: unusual locations, rare manifestations. Radiographics 2008; 28 (07) 1931-1948
- 5 Manohar V, Pai VD, Kerudi SS, Ravindranath S, Tumbal S. Giant primary ovarian leiomyoma—a diagnostic dilemma. J Anesth Surg 2016; 3 (02) 148-150
- 6 Kelekci S, Eris S, Demirel E, Aydogmus S, Ekinci N. Lipoleiomyoma of the uterus and primary ovarian leiomyoma in a postmenopausal woman: two rare entities in the same individual. Case Rep Pathol 2015; 564846
- 7 Rajabi P, Hani M, Bagheri M, Mirzadeh F. Large ovarian leiomyoma in young woman. Adv Biomed Res 2014; 3-88
- 8 Abdessayed N, Salah M, Jouini R, Koubaa W, Brahim E, Debbiche AC. Primary ovarian leiomyoma in pregnant woman: an uncommon tumor with an unusual presentation. World J Pathol 2017; 6: 13-16
- 9 Kaya AE, Okten SB, Basbug A, Gamsizkan M, Dogan O, Baki H. Unilateral ovarian leiomyoma in a 14 year old adolescent: a rare case report. Arch Clin Exp Med 2018; 3 (01) 38-40
- 10 Sheelaa WG, Kasinathan A. Primary ovarian leiomyoma in a postmenopausal woman: a case report. Int J Reprod Contracept Obstet Gynecol 2014; 3 (02) 466-468