Mitral Valve Surgery in a Patient 50 Years after a Pneumonectomy
20 January 2019
01 April 2019
26 May 2019 (online)
Background Patients who survive long after pneumonectomy may develop heart valve disease. The consecutive operations can be complex because of the challenging anatomical conditions and the limited physiologic reserves of the patient.
Case Presentation The subject is a 78-year-old patient who underwent a left-sided pneumonectomy for a metastasized testicular tumor 50 years ago. At 32 and 37 years postpneumonectomy, mitral regurgitation was manifested, and valve repair was performed. Bioprosthetic mitral valve replacement and tricuspid valve reconstruction became necessary 44 years postpneumonectomy. The patient was fully recovered.
Conclusion In case of relevant heart valve disease after pneumonectomies, heart valve surgeries are feasible.
Hartwig H. C. von Oehsen collected and analyzed the data. Benjamin A. Högerle analyzed the data and wrote the case report. Christian Giebels provided and analyzed additional data. Hans-Joachim Schäfers was the surgeon in charge. All authors revised the case report for intellectual content and participated until the final approval of the submitted version. All authors read and approved the final case report.
- 1 Subotic D, Yablonskiy P, Sulis G. , et al. Surgery and pleuro-pulmonary tuberculosis: a scientific literature review. J Thorac Dis 2016; 8 (07) E474-E485
- 2 Deslauriers J, Ugalde P, Miro S. , et al. Long-term physiological consequences of pneumonectomy. Semin Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 2011; 23 (03) 196-202
- 3 Smulders SA, Holverda S, Vonk-Noordegraaf A. , et al. Cardiac function and position more than 5 years after pneumonectomy. Ann Thorac Surg 2007; 83 (06) 1986-1992
- 4 Izzat MB, Regragui IA, Angelini GD. Mitral valve replacement after previous right pneumonectomy. Ann Thorac Surg 1995; 59 (01) 222-224
- 5 Imoto Y, Sese A, Sakamoto M, Tanaka K, Matsumoto T, Kajiwara T. [Mitral valve replacement 41 years after right pneumonectomy]. Kyobu Geka 2001; 54 (13) 1087-1090
- 6 Stoller JK, Blackstone E, Pettersson G, Mihaljevic T. Coronary artery bypass graft and/or valvular operations following prior pneumonectomy: report of four new patients and review of the literature. Chest 2007; 132 (01) 295-301
- 7 Lavall D, Hagendorff A, Schirmer SH, Böhm M, Borger MA, Laufs U. Mitral valve interventions in heart failure. ESC Heart Fail 2018; 5 (04) 552-561
- 8 Rose D, Liew CK, Zacharias J. Mitral valve repair after a right pneumonectomy: a minimally invasive approach. Interact Cardiovasc Thorac Surg 2015; 21 (04) 551-553
- 9 Sinha S, Morgan-Hughes N, O'Toole L, Hunter S. Minimal access mitral valve repair in a patient with a right pneumonectomy for Scimitar syndrome. Interact Cardiovasc Thorac Surg 2016; 22 (06) 851-853
- 10 Barreda T, Laali M, Dorent R, Acar C. Left thoracotomy for aortic and mitral valve surgery in a case of mediastinal displacement due to pneumonectomy. J Heart Valve Dis 2008; 17 (02) 239-242
- 11 Kim JH, Kim EY, Jin GY, Choi JB. A review of the use of cardiac computed tomography for evaluating the mitral valve before and after mitral valve repair. Korean J Radiol 2017; 18 (05) 773-785
- 12 Pfannmüller B, Seeburger J, Davierwala P, Mohr FW. Repair of the anterior mitral leaflet prolapse. Expert Rev Med Devices 2014; 11 (01) 89-100
- 13 Mutlak H, Czerner S, Winter H, Zwissler B, Lackermeier P. [Preoperative evaluation and risk estimation in thoracic surgery]. Anaesthesist 2010; 59 (10) 918-928
- 14 Luzzi L, Tenconi S, Voltolini L. , et al. Long-term respiratory functional results after pneumonectomy. Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 2008; 34 (01) 164-168