Subscribe to RSS
Case of Acute Onset Postpartum Paraplegia: Spontaneous Spinal Epidural Hematoma–A Rare Entity
24 May 2016
20 March 2019
22 May 2019 (online)
Study Design Present study is a case report.
Objective This study was to present a rare case of acute postpartum paraplegia due to spontaneous spinal epidural hematoma (SSEH).
Background SSEH with incidence rate of 0.1 per 100,000 per year is an extremely rare cause of sudden onset neurological deficit in postpartum patients with no predisposing factors or intrapartum factor causing SSEH resulting in paraplegia.
Material and Methods We hereby present our case of acute onset postpartum paraplegia which on magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) shows epidural hematoma around thoracic 12 to lumbar 2 (T12–L2) vertebral regions with adjacent cord changes. MRI is the investigation of choice in such cases which helps in proper timely management of patient. We planned the patient for surgical decompression of hematoma.
Results Patient showed rapid reversal of neurological symptoms in postoperative period.
Conclusions Acute onset postpartum paraplegia in a healthy female with no significant past history, predisposing factors or intrapartum factors may be caused by SSEH and it should be managed on emergency basis as early and proper treatment has an excellent prognosis as seen in our case.
- 1 Holtås S, Heiling M, Lönntoft M. Spontaneous spinal epidural hematoma: findings at MR imaging and clinical correlation. Radiology 1996; 199 (02) 409-413
- 2 Baek BS, Hur JW, Kwon KY, Lee HK. Spontaneous spinal epidural hematoma. J Korean Neurosurg Soc 2008; 44 (01) 40-42
- 3 Fedor M, Kim ES, Ding K, Muizelaar JP, Kim KD. Spontaneous spinal epidural hematoma: a retrospective study on prognostic factors and review of the literature. Korean J Spine 2011; 8 (04) 272-282
- 4 Chen CL, Lu CH, Chen NF. Spontaneous spinal epidural haematoma presenting with quadriplegia after sit-ups exercise. Am J Emerg Med 2009; 27 (09) 1170.e3-1170.e7
- 5 Singh H, Aggarwal S, Gupta R, Yadav RK. Spontaneous spinal epidural haemorrhage. an unusual cause of paraplegia. JIACM 2008; 9 (02) 136-139
- 6 Beatty RM, Winston KR. Spontaneous cervical epidural hematoma. A consideration of etiology. J Neurosurg 1984; 61 (01) 143-148
- 7 Farias JP, Lima JA, Antunes JL. Subacute cervical epidural hematomas. Surg Neurol 1994; 42 (05) 414-416
- 8 Fujimaki H, Nakazawa T, Ueno M. , et al. Spinal subarachnoid hematoma in a woman with HELLP syndrome: a case report. J Med Case Reports 2012; 6: 152
- 9 Taniguchi LU, Pahl FH, Lúcio JED. , et al. Complete motor recovery after acute paraparesis caused by spontaneous spinal epidural hematoma: case report. BMC Emerg Med 2011; 11: 10
- 10 Oumar C, Habibou L, Régis OT. , et al. Spontaneous spinal epidural haematoma causing paraplegia: a case report. World J Neurosci 2015; 5 (04) 270-274
- 11 Hsieh CT, Chang CF, Lin EY, Tsai TH, Chiang YH, Ju DT. Spontaneous spinal epidural hematomas of cervical spine: report of 4 cases and literature review. Am J Emerg Med 2006; 24 (06) 736-740
- 12 Fukui MB, Swarnkar AS, Williams RL. Acute spontaneous spinal epidural hematomas. Am J Neuroradiol 1999; 20 (07) 1365-1372
- 13 Kiehna EN, Waldron PE, Jane JA. Conservative management of an acute spontaneous holocord epidural hemorrhage in a hemophiliac infant. J Neurosurg Pediatr 2010; 6 (01) 43-48
- 14 Muthukumar N. Chronic spontaneous spinal epidural hematoma -- a rare cause of cervical myelopathy. Eur Spine J 2003; 12 (01) 100-103
- 15 Sakakibara R, Yamazaki M, Mannouji C. , et al. Urinary retention without tetraparesis as a sequel to spontaneous spinal epidural hematoma. Intern Med 2008; 47 (07) 655-657
- 16 Liu WH, Hsieh CT, Chiang YH, Chen GJ. Spontaneous spinal epidural hematoma of thoracic spine: a rare case report and review of literature. Am J Emerg Med 2008; 26 (03) 384.e1-384.e2