Bronchial Fistula and Pneumomediastinum after EBUS-TBNA Following Mediastinoscopy
09 December 2018
13 March 2019
06 May 2019 (online)
Background Endobronchial ultrasound-guided transbronchial needle aspiration (EBUS-TBNA) is a very useful diagnostic tool for the assessment of enlarged mediastinal and hilar lymph nodes. It is a safe procedure with a low risk of complications.
Case Description We report a case of bronchial fistula and pneumomediastinum after EBUS-TBNA, which was performed shortly after a mediastinoscopy. Due to the extent of the bronchial lesion, a surgical closure of the bronchial fistula was necessary. The patient recovered completely.
Conclusion The performance of EBUS-TBNA shortly after a mediastinoscopy should not be recommended to avoid possible procedure-related complications.
- 1 Labarca G, Aravena C, Ortega F. , et al. Minimally invasive methods for staging in lung cancer: systematic review and meta-analysis. Pulm Med 2016; 2016: 1024709
- 2 Asano F, Aoe M, Ohsaki Y. , et al. Complications associated with endobronchial ultrasound-guided transbronchial needle aspiration: a nationwide survey by the Japan Society for Respiratory Endoscopy. Respir Res 2013; 14: 50
- 3 Piroddi IMG, Gatto P, Perazzo A, Barlascini C, Nicolini A. Pneumomediastinum following endobronchial ultrasound-guided transbronchial needle aspiration: a case report. Tanaffos 2017; 16 (03) 245-247
- 4 Gamrekeli A, Kalweit G, Schäfer H, Huwer H. Infection of a bronchogenic cyst after ultrasonography-guided fine needle aspiration. Ann Thorac Surg 2013; 95 (06) 2154-2155
- 5 Farmer PL, Bailey DJ, Burns BF, Day A, LeBrun DP. The reliability of lymphoma diagnosis in small tissue samples is heavily influenced by lymphoma subtype. Am J Clin Pathol 2007; 128 (03) 474-480
- 6 Zhu F, Ma DC, Xu N. , et al. Diagnostic value of video-assisted mediastinoscopy and endobronchial ultrasound-guided transbronchial needle aspiration for mediastinal lymphadenectasis without pulmonary abnormalities. Med Sci Monit 2017; 23: 3064-3070
- 7 Eapen GA, Shah AM, Lei X. , et al; American College of Chest Physicians Quality Improvement Registry, Education, and Evaluation (AQuIRE) Participants. Complications, consequences, and practice patterns of endobronchial ultrasound-guided transbronchial needle aspiration: results of the AQuIRE registry. Chest 2013; 143 (04) 1044-1053
- 8 Kouritas VK, Papagiannopoulos K, Lazaridis G. , et al. Pneumomediastinum. J Thorac Dis 2015; 7 (Suppl. 01) S44-S49