Treatment of Urinary Stones with Constitutional Homoeopathic Medicines—Two Evidence-Based Case Reports
26 May 2019 (online)
Introduction Urolithiasis is a very common disease. Stones in any part of the urinary tract can produce symptoms and complication, but because the lower part of the ureter is the narrowest part of the urinary tract, stones get lodged easily producing pain and haematuria commonly. If we keep in mind the limitation and complication of the surgical procedure, homoeopathy can provide a real solution for such conditions. There are several ways of homeopathic prescription, such as based on keynotes, general symptoms, constitution, miasm, etc. Two cases of ureteric calculi are presented here, who were prescribed on the basis of constitutional symptoms and got good results.
Case Profile In the first case, the only symptom was pain in the right flank, and as per ultrasonography (USG) report, there was 7.4 mm calculus in the lower part of the right ureter. In the second case, there were symptoms like pain in the left flank, burning urination and haematuria. The USG report confirmed 6 mm stone in the left ureterovesical junction (UVJ). After detailed case taking, both the cases were prescribed on the basis of constitutional symptoms. Lycopodium in 50 millesimal potencies (0/1–0/4) in the first case and Phosphorus in centesimal potency (1M) in the second case provided prompt relief of the symptoms within a short period. USG reports of both the cases also confirmed no stones after approximately 2 months of treatment.
Conclusion Homeopathy provided good relief in two cases of ureteric calculi; constitutional medicines were found useful in combating acute ureteric colic and facilitating expulsion of stones. Because the constitutional symptoms matched, the polychrest homoeopathic medicines like Lycopodium and Phosphorus produced their best effect. But the inferences drawn from the two case reports may not be sufficient to reach a definitive conclusion. So clinical trials to establish the efficacy of constitutional remedies in the treatment of ureteric calculi are suggested.
Written informed consent was obtained from both the patients.
- 1 Curham GC. Epidemiology. In: Nagaraja RP, Preminger GM, Kavanagh JP. , eds. Urinary Tract Stone Disease. London, UK: Springer; 2011
- 2 Alelign T, Petros B. Kidney stone disease: an update on current concepts. Adv Urol 2018; 2018: 3068365
- 3 Wertheim M. General nutrition guidelines for all stone formers. In: Monga M, Penniston KL, Goldfarb DS. , eds. Pocket Guide to Kidney Stone Prevention : Dietary and Medical Therapy. Cham, Switzerland: Springer International Publishing; 2015
- 4 Jaiswal K, Nand A, Goswami D, Singh S. Microstructural analysis of kidney stone expelled during the homeopathic treatment—a case study. Int J Dev Res 2017; 7 (08) 14309-14314
- 5 Masarani M, Dinneen M. Ureteric colic: new trends in diagnosis and treatment. Postgrad Med J 2007; 83 (981) 469-472
- 6 Baumgartner BR, Dickey KW, Ambrose SS, Walton KN, Nelson RC, Bernardino ME. Kidney changes after extracorporeal shock wave lithotripsy: appearance on MR imaging. Radiology 1987; 163 (02) 531-534
- 7 Osorio L, Lima E, Autorino R, Marcelo F. Emergency management of ureteral stones: recent advances. Indian J Urol 2008; 24 (04) 461-466
- 8 Rubin JI, Arger PH, Pollack HM. , et al. Kidney changes after extracorporeal shock wave lithotripsy: CT evaluation. Radiology 1987; 162 (1 Pt 1): 21-24
- 9 Dhawale ML. Principles and Practice of Homoeopathy. 3rd ed. Mumbai, India: Dr M L Dhawale Memorial Trust; 2004
- 10 Ullman D. Efficacy and Cost-Effectiveness of Homeopathic Medicine. https://homeopathic.com/efficacy-and-cost-effectiveness-of-homeopathic-medicine/ . Published 2018. Accessed December 12, 2018.
- 11 Boericke W. Pocket Manual of Homoeopathic Materia Medica with Repertory. 9th ed. New Delhi, India: B. Jain Publishers; 1996
- 12 Mathur KN, Wadia SR. Principles of Prescribing. New Delhi, India: B. Jain Publishers; 1998
- 13 Das B. Role of Constitution in Homeopathy: Homeopathy Resource by Homeobook.com. https://www.homeobook.com/role-of-constitution-in-homeopathy/ . Published 2012. Accessed January 11, 2019
- 14 Sahoo AR, Mishra SC. Eliciting the mental symptoms and their corresponding rubrics. In: Decoding the Rubrics of Mind. 2nd ed. New Delhi, India: Indian Books & Periodicals Publishers; 2016
- 15 Nayak C, Hati AK, Dash SKPB. A Case report on benign prostatic hyperplasia with homeopathic remedies. Indo Am J Pharm Sci 2017; 4 (11) 4398-4403
- 16 Paital B, Hati AK, Naik KN, Mishra AK, Nanda LK, Chainy GBN. Re: Editorial comment on constitutional, organopathic and combined homeopathic treatment of benign prostatic hypertrophy: a clinical trial: S. A. Kaplan J Urol 2013; 190: 1818-1819. J Urol 2014; 192 (03) 1000-1001 , discussion 1001
- 17 Hati AK, Paital B, Naik KN, Mishra AK, Chainy GBN, Nanda LK. Constitutional, organopathic and combined homeopathic treatment of benign prostatic hypertrophy: a clinical trial. Homeopathy 2012; 101 (04) 217-223
- 18 Paital B, Nayak C, Ak H, Sk D, Paital B. Benign prostatic hyperplasia and homoeopathic treatment : case study of a 64 years old patient. Indo Am J Pharm Sci 2017; 4 (12) 4695-4703
- 19 Sahoo AR, Nayak C, Hati AK, Rath S, Paital B. A review on research evidences in homoeopathy for urinary tract infections. World J Pharm Res 2018; 7 (13) 185-200
- 20 Sahoo AR, Ranjita P, Chaturbhuja N. Homoeopathic medicine “Cantharis 30CH” substituted antibiotic: a case report of infantile urinary tract infection. RA J Appl Res 2018; 4 (07) 1879-1883
- 21 Hati AK, Rath S, Nayak C, Raj I, Sahoo AR, Paital B. Successful treatment of ureteric calculi with constitutional homoeopathic medicine Lycopodium clavatum: a case report. J Drug Deliv Ther 2018; 8 (06) 1-7
- 22 Chintamani N, Amulya Ratna S, Chaturbhuja N, Umakanta P, Akshaya Kumar H, Biswaranjan P. A case report of ureteric calculus treated with homoeopathic medicine, Hydrangea arborescens 30. Indo Am J Pharm Sci 2018; 5 (01) 627-633
- 23 Siddiqui VA, Singh H, Gupta J. , et al. A multicentre observational study to ascertain the role of homoeopathic therapy in Urolithiasis. Indian J Res Homoeopath 2011; 5 (02) 30
- 24 Sumithran PP. A case of multiple urinary calculi. Indian J Res Homoeopath 2016; 10 (02) 142
- 25 Ganesan T, Ravi D, Vasavan J, Khurana A, Nayak D, Periandavan K. Homoeopathic preparation of Berberis vulgaris as an inhibitor of Calcium oxalate crystallization: an in vitro evidence. Indian J Res Homoeopath 2015; 9 (03) 152