Subscribe to RSS
A Stitch in Time Saved Nine: Early Recognition of Propofol Infusion Syndrome under Anesthesia
Though propofol infusion syndrome results from a larger dose of infusion over a longer period of time, we observed its development even when it was infused for a shorter period of time. In our patient, it was heralded by progressive acidosis and hyperkalemia. Discontinuation of propofol and simultaneous treatment of hyperkalemia averted any harm to the patient.
04 August 2019 (online)
© 2020. Indian Society of Neuroanaesthesiology and Critical Care. This is an open access article published by Thieme under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-NonDerivative-NonCommercial-License, permitting copying and reproduction so long as the original work is given appropriate credit. Contents may not be used for commercial purposes, or adapted, remixed, transformed or built upon. (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/4.0/).
Thieme Medical and Scientific Publishers Private Ltd.
A-12, Second Floor, Sector -2, NOIDA -201301, India
- 1 Parke TJ, Stevens JE, Rice ASC. et al. Metabolic acidosis and fatal myocardial failure after propofol infusion in children: five case reports. BMJ 1992; 305 (68/54) 613-616
- 2 Cremer OL, Moons KGM, Bouman EAC, Kruijswijk JE, de Smet AM, Kalkman CJ. Long-term propofol infusion and cardiac failure in adult head-injured patients. Lancet 2001; 357 (9250) 117-118
- 3 Bray RJ. Propofol infusion syndrome in children. Paediatr Anaesth 1998; 8 (06) 491-499
- 4 Haase R, Sauer H, Eichler G. Lactic acidosis following short-term propofol infusion may be an early warning of propofol infusion syndrome. J Neurosurg Anesthesiol 2005; 17 (02) 122-123
- 5 Lee JH, Ko YS, Shin HJ, Yi JH, Han SW, Kim HJ. Is there any relationship between hyperkalemia and propofol?. Electrolyte Blood Press 2011; 9 (01) 27-31
- 6 Wolf A, Weir P, Segar P, Stone J, Shield J. Impaired fatty acid oxidation in propofol infusion syndrome. Lancet 2001; 357 (9256) 606-607
- 7 Mali AR, Patil VP, Pramesh CS, Mistry RC. Hyperkalemia during surgery: is it an early warning of propofol infusion syndrome?. J Anesth 2009; 23 (03) 421-423
- 8 Kam PC, Cardone D. Propofol infusion syndrome. Anaesthesia 2007; 62 (07) 690-701
- 9 Wasant P, Matsumoto I, Naylor E, Liammongkolkul S. Mitochondrial fatty acid oxidation disorders in Thai infants: a report of 3 cases. J Med Assoc Thai 2002; 85 (Suppl 2) S710-S719
- 10 Bonhomme V, Demoitie J, Schaub I, Hans P. Acid-base status and hemodynamic stability during propofol and sevoflurane-based anesthesia in patients undergoing uncomplicated intracranial surgery. J Neurosurg Anesthesiol 2009; 21 (02) 112-119