Subscribe to RSS
Total Laryngectomy with Horizontal Mechanical Closure of the Pharyngoesophagectomy: Evaluation of the Effectiveness in Elderly Patients
02 March 2018
13 February 2019
28 May 2019 (online)
Introduction The main modalities of surgical treatment for laryngeal cancer include transoral laser microsurgery (TLM), open preservation surgery, and total laryngectomy (TL). In the elderly, for the presence of comorbidities, the surgical approach more appropriate in many cases remains TL. The use of a stapler for the closure of the esophagus has been introduced to reduce surgical time and postoperative complications such as pharyngocutaneous fistula (PCF).
Objective In the present study, we have evaluated the effectiveness of the use of the horizontal mechanical pharyngoesophageal closure in patients who underwent TL.
Methods This nonrandomized study was performed on consecutive patients with histopathologically proven squamous cell endolaryngeal carcinoma. The TL was performed using a linear stapler to mechanically suture the pharyngotomy using the semiclosed technique.
Results A total of 33 patients underwent TL, and 13 of them underwent neck dissection. A total of 15 patients (45.4%) were ≤70 years old, and 18 were > 70 years old. Analyzing the results in relation to age, patients > 70 years old showed tumors at an earlier stage than those aged ≤70 years old. Furthermore, in this group there was a greater number of patients who had comorbidities (p = 0.014). In total, we had 2 (6%) cases of PCF in 6.6% in the group ≤70 years old, and in 5.5% of the group > 70 years old (p = 1.00).
Conclusions The use of the stapler for the horizontal closure of the pharyngoesophagectomy in the patients subjected to TL is proven to be useful and safe even when used in elderly patients.
- 1 Parkin DM, Bray F, Ferlay J, Pisani P. Global cancer statistics, 2002. CA Cancer J Clin 2005; 55 (02) 74-108
- 2 Allegra E, Ferrise P, Trapasso S. , et al. Early glottic cancer: role of MRI in the preoperative staging. BioMed Res Int 2014; 2014: 890385
- 3 Allegra E, Franco T, Trapasso S, Domanico R, La Boria A, Garozzo A. Modified supracricoid laryngectomy: oncological and functional outcomes in the elderly. Clin Interv Aging 2012; 7: 475-480
- 4 Luk'yanchenko AG. Suturing of a laryngeal defect in laryngotomy. Vestn Otolaryngol 1971; 33: 29-30
- 5 Shah JP, Patel SG. Head and Neck Surgery and Oncology (Third Edition). Mosby; 2003
- 6 Sobin LH, Gospodarowicz MK, Wittekind C. TNM classification of Malignant tumours, 7th ed. Oxford, UK: Wiley-Blackwell; 2009
- 7 Dedivitis RA, Ribeiro KC, Castro MA, Nascimento PC. Pharyngocutaneous fistula following total laryngectomy. Acta Otorhinolaryngol Ital 2007; 27 (01) 2-5
- 8 Babu S, Varghese BT, Iype EM, George PS, Sebastian P. Evaluation of stapled closure following laryngectomy for carcinoma larynx in an Indian tertiary cancer centre. Indian J Cancer 2015; 52 (03) 376-380
- 9 Simoncelli C, Altissimi G. [Mechanical sutures of the pharynx during total laryngectomy: proposal of a closed technique]. Acta Otorhinolaryngol Ital 1990; 10 (05) 465-474
- 10 Bedrin L, Ginsburg G, Horowitz Z, Talmi YP. 25-year experience of using a linear stapler in laryngectomy. Head Neck 2005; 27 (12) 1073-1079
- 11 Altissimi G, Frenguelli A. Linear stapler closure of the pharynx during total laryngectomy: a 15-year experience (from closed technique to semi-closed technique). Acta Otorhinolaryngol Ital 2007; 27 (03) 118-122
- 12 Ahsan F, Ah-See KW, Hussain A. Stapled closed technique for laryngectomy and pharyngeal repair. J Laryngol Otol 2008; 122 (11) 1245-1248
- 13 Sofferman RA, Voronetsky I. Use of the linear stapler for pharyngoesophageal closure after total laryngectomy. Laryngoscope 2000; 110 (08) 1406-1409
- 14 Gonçalves AJ, de Souza Jr JA, Menezes MB, Kavabata NK, Suehara AB, Lehn CN. Pharyngocutaneous fistulae following total laryngectomy comparison between manual and mechanical sutures. Eur Arch Otorhinolaryngol 2009; 266 (11) 1793-1798
- 15 Santaolalla Montoya F, Ruiz de Galarreta JC, Sánchez del Rey A, Martínez Ibargüen A, Zabala López de Maturana A. [Comparative study of the use of manual and mechanical suturing in the closure of the mucosal defect in total laryngectomy]. Acta Otorrinolaringol Esp 2002; 53 (05) 343-350
- 16 Zhang X, Liu Z, Li Q. , et al. Using a linear stapler for pharyngeal closure in total laryngectomy. Eur Arch Otorhinolaryngol 2013; 270 (04) 1467-1471
- 17 Paddle P, Husain I, McHugh L, Franco Jr R. Outcomes of mechanical stapling for postlaryngectomy open pharyngotomy closure. Laryngoscope 2017; 127 (03) 605-610
- 18 Turrentine FE, Wang H, Simpson VB, Jones RS. Surgical risk factors, morbidity, and mortality in elderly patients. J Am Coll Surg 2006; 203 (06) 865-877
- 19 Ismi O, Unal M, Vayisoglu Y. , et al. Stapler Esophageal Closure During Total Laryngectomy. J Craniofac Surg 2017; 28 (01) e35-e40