Mental Health Disorders Associated with Sinonasal and Skull Base Malignancies: A Large Cohort StudyFunding No external funding was received.
01 May 2018
28 December 2018
19 March 2019 (online)
Objective The main purpose of this article is to examine the prevalence, incidence, sociodemographic, and clinical characteristics of mental health disorders (MHDs) among patients with skull base malignancies.
Design Retrospective cohort study.
Settings/Participants Six-thousand seven-hundred sixty sinonasal/skull base cancer patients in the MarketScan database between 2005 and 2014.
Main Outcome Measures Frequency of MHDs pre- and post-diagnosis in patients harboring sinonasal/skull base malignancies.
Results A significant increase in MHDs was noted from pre- to post-cancer diagnosis (22 vs 31%, p < 0.0001). Despite an increase in the prevalence rate, the demographic profile of patients with MHDs post-diagnosis remained similar to pre-diagnosis. Those patients harboring MHDs were, however, more likely to be women (62.7 vs 47.4%), and carry a history of smoking (40.9 vs 26.3%) than those without MHDs. These comparisons were statistically significant (p < 0.0001).
Conclusion The prevalence of MHDs increases following a diagnosis of a sinonasal/skull base malignancy. Patients with MHDs were more likely to be women and smokers.
- 1 Derogatis LR, Morrow GR, Fetting J. , et al. The prevalence of psychiatric disorders among cancer patients. JAMA 1983; 249 (06) 751-757
- 2 Ojo B, Genden EM, Teng MS, Milbury K, Misiukiewicz KJ, Badr H. A systematic review of head and neck cancer quality of life assessment instruments. Oral Oncol 2012; 48 (10) 923-937
- 3 Fasunla AJ, Omokanye H. Psychological manifestation of patients with sinonasal tumors: an obscured and commonly neglected aspect of the disease. Otolaryngol (Sunnyvale) 2011; 1 (02) 107
- 4 Greenberg PE, Stiglin LE, Finkelstein SN, Berndt ER. The economic burden of depression in 1990. J Clin Psychiatry 1993; 54 (11) 405-418
- 5 Palme CE, Irish JC, Gullane PJ, Katz MR, Devins GM, Bachar G. Quality of life analysis in patients with anterior skull base neoplasms. Head Neck 2009; 31 (10) 1326-1334
- 6 Stone A, Wright T. When your face doesn't fit: employment discrimination against people with facial disfigurements: when your face doesn't fit. J Appl Soc Psychol 2013; 43 (03) 515-526
- 7 Hoppe BS, Wolden SL, Zelefsky MJ. , et al. Postoperative intensity-modulated radiation therapy for cancers of the paranasal sinuses, nasal cavity, and lacrimal glands: technique, early outcomes, and toxicity. Head Neck 2008; 30 (07) 925-932
- 8 Neuland C, Bitter T, Marschner H, Gudziol H, Guntinas-Lichius O. Health-related and specific olfaction-related quality of life in patients with chronic functional anosmia or severe hyposmia. Laryngoscope 2011; 121 (04) 867-872
- 9 Özabacı N. Quality of life as a predictor of depression. Procedia Soc Behav Sci 2010; 2 (02) 2458-2463
- 10 Regier DA, Farmer ME, Rae DS. , et al. Comorbidity of mental disorders with alcohol and other drug abuse. results from the Epidemiologic Catchment Area (ECA) Study. JAMA 1990; 264 (19) 2511-2518
- 11 Del Fabbro E. Assessment and management of chemical coping in patients with cancer. J Clin Oncol 2014; 32 (16) 1734-1738
- 12 Mayfield D, McLeod G, Hall P. The CAGE questionnaire: validation of a new alcoholism screening instrument. Am J Psychiatry 1974; 131 (10) 1121-1123
- 13 Saunders JB, Aasland OG, Amundsen A, Grant M. Alcohol consumption and related problems among primary health care patients: WHO collaborative project on early detection of persons with harmful alcohol consumption--I. Addiction 1993; 88 (03) 349-362
- 14 Saunders JB, Aasland OG, Babor TF, de la Fuente JR, Grant M. Development of the Alcohol Use Disorders Identification Test (AUDIT): WHO Collaborative Project on early detection of persons with harmful alcohol consumption–II. Addiction 1993; 88 (06) 791-804
- 15 Hibbard JH, Pope CR. Gender roles, illness orientation and use of medical services. Soc Sci Med 1983; 17 (03) 129-137
- 16 Cleary PD, Mechanic D, Greenley JR. Sex differences in medical care utilization: an empirical investigation. J Health Soc Behav 1982; 23 (02) 106-119
- 17 Waldron I. Sex differences in illness incidence, prognosis and mortality: issues and evidence. Soc Sci Med 1983; 17 (16) 1107-1123
- 18 Verbrugge LM, Wingard DL. Sex differentials in health and mortality. Women Health 1987; 12 (02) 103-145
- 19 Kornstein SG, Schatzberg AF, Thase ME. , et al. Gender differences in chronic major and double depression. J Affect Disord 2000; 60 (01) 1-11
- 20 Angst J, Dobler-Mikola A. Do the diagnostic criteria determine the sex ratio in depression?. J Affect Disord 1984; 7 (3-4): 189-198
- 21 Silverstein B. Gender difference in the prevalence of clinical depression: the role played by depression associated with somatic symptoms. Am J Psychiatry 1999; 156 (03) 480-482
- 22 Lasser K, Boyd JW, Woolhandler S, Himmelstein DU, McCormick D, Bor DH. Smoking and mental illness: a population-based prevalence study. JAMA 2000; 284 (20) 2606-2610
- 23 Frick E, Tyroller M, Panzer M. Anxiety, depression and quality of life of cancer patients undergoing radiation therapy: a cross-sectional study in a community hospital outpatient centre. Eur J Cancer Care (Engl) 2007; 16 (02) 130-136
- 24 Mitchell AJ, Chan M, Bhatti H. , et al. Prevalence of depression, anxiety, and adjustment disorder in oncological, haematological, and palliative-care settings: a meta-analysis of 94 interview-based studies. Lancet Oncol 2011; 12 (02) 160-174
- 25 Clement S, Schauman O, Graham T. , et al. What is the impact of mental health-related stigma on help-seeking? A systematic review of quantitative and qualitative studies. Psychol Med 2015; 45 (01) 11-27
- 26 Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration, Center for Behavioral Health Statistics and Quality. Key substance use and mental health indicators in the united states: results from the 2015 national survey on drug use and health. Rockville, MD: U.S. Department of Health and Human Services https://www.samhsa.gov/data/sites/default/files/NSDUH-FFR1-2015/NSDUH-FFR1-2015/NSDUH-FFR1-2015.pdf
- 27 Wu V, Cusimano MD, Lee JM. Extent of surgery in endoscopic transsphenoidal skull base approaches and the effects on sinonasal morbidity. Am J Rhinol Allergy 2018; 32 (01) 52-56
- 28 Sharpe H, Patalay P, Fink E, Vostanis P, Deighton J, Wolpert M. Exploring the relationship between quality of life and mental health problems in children: implications for measurement and practice. Eur Child Adolesc Psychiatry 2016; 25 (06) 659-667
- 29 Weinberger AH, Gbedemah M, Martinez AM, Nash D, Galea S, Goodwin RD. Trends in depression prevalence in the USA from 2005 to 2015: widening disparities in vulnerable groups. Psychol Med 2018; 48 (08) 1308-1315
- 30 Oh S, Salas-Wright CP, Vaughn MG. Trends in depression among low-income mothers in the United States, 2005-2015. J Affect Disord 2018; 235: 72-75