Subscribe to RSS
Autoimmune Progesterone Dermatitis: A Case Report
29 September 2018
08 January 2019
02 April 2019 (online)
Introduction Autoimmune progesterone dermatitis (APD) is a rare autoimmune dermatosis characterized by recurrent cutaneous and mucosal lesions during the luteal phase of the menstrual cycle that disappear some days after the menses.
Case Report A 34-year-old primipara woman with no significant past medical history and no prior exogenous hormone use, who presented with cyclic skin eruptions starting 1 year after the delivery. The lesions occurred ∼ 6 days before the menses and disappeared in between 1 and 2 days after the menstruation ceased. The patient was diagnosed after a positive response to an intradermal test with progesterone and was successfully treated with combined oral contraceptives. The skin eruptions have not returned since the initiation of this therapy.
Conclusion Dermatologists, gynecologists, and obstetricians should be aware of this rare entity. Furthermore, if this condition is suspected, a thorough history taking on the menstrual cycle and results of the intradermal progesterone test are mandatory.
- 1 You HR, Yun SJ, Kim SJ, Lee SC, Won YH, Lee JB. Three cases of autoimmune progesterone dermatitis. Ann Dermatol 2017; 29 (04) 479-482 . Doi: 10.5021/ad.2017.29.4.479
- 2 Géber HIV. Einige daten zur pathologie der urticaria menstruationalis. Dermatol Z 1921; 32: 143-150 . Doi: 10.1159/000248242
- 3 Nguyen T, Razzaque Ahmed A. Autoimmune progesterone dermatitis: Update and insights. Autoimmun Rev 2016; 15 (02) 191-197 . Doi: 10.1016/j.autrev.2015.11.003
- 4 García-Ortega P, Scorza E. Progesterone autoimmune dermatitis with positive autologous serum skin test result. Obstet Gynecol 2011; 117 (2 Pt 2): 495-498 . Doi: 10.1097/AOG.0b013e318206cb2c
- 5 Warin AP. Case 2. Diagnosis: erythema multiforme as a presentation of autoimmune progesterone dermatitis. Clin Exp Dermatol 2001; 26 (01) 107-108 . Doi: 10.1046/j.1365-2230.2001.00747.x
- 6 Detrixhe A, Nikkels AF, Dezfoulian B. Autoimmune progesterone dermatitis. Arch Gynecol Obstet 2017; 296 (05) 1013-1014 . Doi: 10.1007/s00404-017-4497-3
- 7 Drayer SM, Laufer LR, Farrell ME. Autoimmune progesterone dermatitis presenting as Stevens-Johnson syndrome. Obstet Gynecol 2017; 130 (04) 881-884 . Doi: 10.1097/AOG.0000000000002256
- 8 Kaygusuz I, Gumus II, Sarifakioglu E, Eser A, Bozkurt B, Kafali H. Autoimmune progesterone dermatitis. Taiwan J Obstet Gynecol 2014; 53 (03) 420-422 . Doi: 10.1016/j.tjog.2013.12.007