Subscribe to RSS
Test-Retest Reliability of the Speech, Spatial and Qualities of Hearing Scale (SSQ) in Brazilian Portuguese
09 October 2017
02 December 2018
28 May 2019 (online)
Introduction The Speech, Spatial and Qualities of Hearing Scale (SSQ) is a questionnaire designed to assess the auditory experience and quantify hearing disabilities in realistic communication situations, with particular attention to binaural hearing.
Objective To determine the test-retest reliability of the SSQ in Brazilian Portuguese.
Method A total of 35 individuals with mean age of 61 years and mean education of 7 years were interviewed. The mean auditory threshold was 44.29 dBNA in the best ear and 58.04 dBNA in the worst ear. The SSQ in Portuguese was applied at two time points, test and retest. An interval of 7 to 20 days between interviews was established. The level of significance adopted was 0.05, or 5%.
Results The analysis revealed a high Cronbach α coefficient for the three domains and for the general component of the scale, demonstrating good internal consistency between the items. In addition, a significant strong correlation was detected between test and retest of the SSQ on the analysis by domain and for the general component of the scale. A significant moderate-to-strong correlation between test and retest by question was found, except for question 2 of Part I.
Conclusion The test-retest reliability indicators showed good stability of the Portuguese version of the SSQ, indicating that the scale is suitable for use in the hearing-impaired population in Brazil.
Study performed at the School of Speech-Language Pathology and Audiology and Professional Master's in Health for Human Communication at Faculdade de Ciências Médicas da Santa Casa São Paulo–São Paulo (SP), Brazil.
- 1 Gatehouse S, Noble W. The Speech, Spatial and Qualities of Hearing Scale (SSQ). Int J Audiol 2004; 43 (02) 85-99
- 2 Galvin KL, Noble W. Adaptation of the speech, spatial, and qualities of hearing scale for use with children, parents, and teachers. Cochlear Implants Int 2013; 14 (03) 135-41 . doi: 10.1179/1754762812Y.0000000014
- 3 Noble W, Gatehouse S. Effects of bilateral versus unilateral hearing aid fitting on abilities measured by the Speech, Spatial, and Qualities of Hearing Scale (SSQ). Int J Audiol 2006; 45 (03) 172-181
- 4 Blamey PJ, Fiket HJ, Steele BR. Improving speech intelligibility in background noise with an adaptive directional microphone. J Am Acad Audiol 2006; 17 (07) 519-530
- 5 Noble W, Tyler RS, Dunn CC, Bhullar N. Younger- and older-age adults with unilateral and bilateral cochlear implants: speech and spatial hearing self-ratings and performance. Otol Neurotol 2009; 30 (07) 921-929
- 6 Gonsalez ECM, Almeida K. Adaptação cultural do questionário Speech, Spatial and Qualities of Hearing Scale (SSQ) para o Português Brasileiro. Audiol Commun Res 2015; 20 (03) 215-224
- 7 Guillemin F, Bombardier C, Beaton D. Cross-cultural adaptation of health-related quality of life measures: literature review and proposed guidelines. J Clin Epidemiol 1993; 46 (12) 1417-1432
- 8 Vannson N, James C, Fraysse B. , et al. Quality of life and auditory performance in adults with asymmetric hearing loss. Audiol Neurotol 2015; 20 (01) (Suppl. 01) 38-43
- 9 Demeester K, Topsakal V, Hendrickx JJ. , et al. Hearing disability measured by the speech, spatial, and qualities of hearing scale in clinically normal-hearing and hearing-impaired middle-aged persons, and disability screening by means of a reduced SSQ (the SSQ5). Ear Hear 2012; 33 (05) 615-616
- 10 Singh G, Kathleen Pichora-Fuller M. Older adults’ performance on the speech, spatial, and qualities of hearing scale (SSQ): Test-retest reliability and a comparison of interview and self-administration methods. Int J Audiol 2010; 49 (10) 733-740
- 11 Humes LE, Kidd GR, Lentz JJ. Auditory and cognitive factors underlying individual differences in aided speech-understanding among older adults. Front Syst Neurosci 2013; 7: 55-62
- 12 Moulin A, Pauzie A, Richard C. Validation of a French translation of the Speech, Spatial, and Qualities of Hearing Scale (SSQ) and comparison with other language versions. Int J Audiol 2015; 54 (12) 889-898
- 13 Akeroyd MA, Guy FH, Harrison DL, Suller SL. A factor analysis of the SSQ (Speech, Spatial, and Qualities of Hearing Scale). Int J Audiol 2014; 53 (02) 101-114
- 14 Dwyer NY, Firszt JB, Reeder RM. Effects of unilateral input and mode of hearing in the better ear: self-reported performance using the speech, spatial and qualities of hearing scale. Ear Hear 2014; 35 (01) 126-136
- 15 Potts LG, Litovsky RY. Transitioning from bimodal to bilateral cochlear implant listening: speech recognition and localization in four individuals. Am J Audiol 2014; 23 (01) 79-92
- 16 Ramos IMPMV, Martins JHF, Silva CSDM. The speech, spatial and qualities of hearing scale - Tradução e adaptação cultural para o Português Europeu. Cad Otorrinolaringol 2014; 1-7